BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Energy Industry - Your Thoughts?

Hey all,

I work in this industry and know we have a terrible reputation.

The media don't help, neither do the government and a lot of the time we don't help ourselves...

i'm interested to know your thoughts...

Price rises, green initiatives, the future, etc

A complete bunch of thieving keanards who bend us over and Kean us up the keaner whilst keaning themselves off over wads of dirty cash. Getting cold? Let's shove another 8% on the keanards bill when they most need to use our services. Keanards the lot of 'em. Them, bankers, solicitors/lawyers, politicians, run the country hence why we're more keaned than a cheap Thai hooker.

Nothing personal like.

Pretty much nailed it, koi.

They cry about the cost increases which they "have to pass on", complain about green taxes, and then post obscene profits.

I'm a bit surprised you've asked the question. Are you hoping for balanced views?

Btw, are you getting a free Christmas do this year, tk?

All utilities should be state owned, full stop. Electricity, Water, Railways, Gas.

Everywhere they have been privatised has seen a dramatic increase in prices and an even bigger increase in executive pay. All at the expense of a public that has to have said services.

For once I agree with the turncoat Englishman. Utility companies were sold off by the Tories in the 1980s and consumers have been paying the price ever since. Utilities, like roads, railways and airports, are part of the country's infrastructure and should not be in the private sector where fat cat profiteers take obscene salaries and bonuses (where is the risk in sending water through pipes?) paid for by the long-suffering and increasingly pauperised British public. They should all be taken back into state ownership.

A complete bunch of thieving keanards who bend us over and Kean us up the keaner whilst keaning themselves off over wads of dirty cash. Getting cold? Let's shove another 8% on the keanards bill when they most need to use our services. Keanards the lot of 'em. Them, bankers, solicitors/lawyers, politicians, run the country hence why we're more keaned than a cheap Thai hooker.

Nothing personal like.

Well dont use it then. Fossil fuels are a finite resource.

I'll believe energy is too expensive when I see people wearing sweaters in offices, when shops return to revolving doors instead of hot air curtains and when kids walk or cycle to school. If you see the energy companies as the problem then we are the solution.

For once I agree with the turncoat Englishman. Utility companies were sold off by the Tories in the 1980s and consumers have been paying the price ever since. Utilities, like roads, railways and airports, are part of the country's infrastructure and should not be in the private sector where fat cat profiteers take obscene salaries and bonuses (where is the risk in sending water through pipes?) paid for by the long-suffering and increasingly pauperised British public. They should all be taken back into state ownership.

Does it make a difference? Nationalise them and then if we dont give in to stupid wage claims and subsidise their services through our taxes then we'll be subject to all manner of industrial action like we had in the 70's. Have you forgotten the harsh lessons of history?

Does it make a difference? Nationalise them and then if we dont give in to stupid wage claims and subsidise their services through our taxes then we'll be subject to all manner of industrial action like we had in the 70's. Have you forgotten the harsh lessons of history?

I can't speak for the UK, but here, many utilities (when in public hands) have been paying dividends to the Government. That makes it even harder to accept the sale and subsequent raise in prices.

Most certainly the "harsh lessons of history" were learned here and industrial action has been severely contained, because the actions of a previous Labor (yes it's spelt that way) Government.

You must ask me how it was done Theno.

The harsh lesson of the past 20 years is that prices have risen inexorably - and all to line the pockets of private "enterprise".

in addition, the gas, water and electricity services that used to belong to the nation and now in mostly foreign owned because those wonderful people in the City have sold them to make a quick buck. Some £500m in dividends from utilities now goes abroad every year - money that should be ours to be reinvested in better infrastructure.

The harsh lesson of the past 20 years is that prices have risen inexorably - and all to line the pockets of private "enterprise".

in addition, the gas, water and electricity services that used to belong to the nation and now in mostly foreign owned because those wonderful people in the City have sold them to make a quick buck. Some £500m in dividends from utilities now goes abroad every year - money that should be ours to be reinvested in better infrastructure.

I realise all that Jim..... but the lights haven't gone off for quite some time now have they?

According to this report, which uses ONS figures, 20,000 pensioners died from the cold last year. Not all are directly linked to ever increasing fuel costs, but "Cold homes – caused by a number of factors including high energy costs " are quoted as being a "major cause of excess winter deaths".

With current legislation and employment laws effectively ruling out 70's style union blackmail tactics, surely it is time for a return to state owned and controlled fuel organisations?

According to this report, which uses ONS figures, 20,000 pensioners died from the cold last year. Not all are directly linked to ever increasing fuel costs, but "Cold homes – caused by a number of factors including high energy costs " are quoted as being a "major cause of excess winter deaths".

With current legislation and employment laws effectively ruling out 70's style union blackmail tactics, surely it is time for a return to state owned and controlled fuel organisations?

Yes, but the cost of bringing them back under state control would be enormous unless of course they went bankrupt like Railtrack over 10 years ago.

It's also unlikely to happen because of politics - the right wing would accuse Labour is reverting to type. Another reason why this country would benefit from a genuine left-wing governnment.

I know what you are saying but I do think 20000 sounds like a convenient made up number. Lives are never saved and deaths are never avoided... they are just postponed.

I know what you are saying but I do think 20000 sounds like a convenient made up number. Lives are never saved and deaths are never avoided... they are just postponed.

Might as well open all the windows then and freeze to death. Save a fortune in heating bills.

Yes, but the cost of bringing them back under state control would be enormous unless of course they went bankrupt like Railtrack over 10 years ago.

It's also unlikely to happen because of politics - the right wing would accuse Labour is reverting to type. Another reason why this country would benefit from a genuine left-wing governnment.

That report shows a potential saving to the NHS of £1.3 BILLION a year. It would pay for itself.

It says around 20,000, but the exact figure is not as important as the overall thrust. Thousands of unnecessary deaths . And deaths are indeed never avoided, but if they are the lives of you and yours it may soften your hard bitten approach to mortality!

It says around 20,000, but the exact figure is not as important as the overall thrust. Thousands of unnecessary deaths . And deaths are indeed never avoided, but if they are the lives of you and yours it may soften your hard bitten approach to mortality!

I prefer the term 'practical'. Problems are better confronted than avoided.

I blame all the keaners who took the bribe of cheap shares in the days when all these utilities where being sold off under the Iron Lady. It was obvious that there would have been a massive out cry if the shares had have been sold directly to the City so they bribed the little man with a handful of cheap shares knowing the little man would sell the shares to the big institutions right away to make a quick buck.

It was so obvious that it was a scam it was untrue but the stupid keaners fell for it hook line and sinker. Most of ' em are probably bitching about the price rises now.

I think we are all missing the point here.... :rolleyes:

What i don't understand is the fact that the government own a hell of a lot of property,at both local and national level.When you think of Hospitals,schools,council offices etc,it all adds up to quite a sizeable area. If it was up to me,every single one of these buildings would be covered in solar panels. Yes the initial outlay would be high,but when you think of the revenue they would bring in,it would help the problem of lowering running costs and also ease the burden on the National grid,or am I missing something?

it's not just the initial outlay with solar panels, its also the expensive on going maintenance.

I think energy is just like any other supply and demand thingymajig, when demands high, they'll set the prices high and when supply's low they'll set the prices high(and the energy companies have a grasp on each bolllock so they make the prices very very high)

Archived