BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Raya (and general youth squad talk)

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

Is it just me but are we we starting to do things like a normal football club,  probably spoke to soon though.

I think Mowbray deserves to take the credit for that. I guess we'll never know for certain, but it comes across as though Mowbray has single-handedly turned the running of Rovers back into something that we recognise. In a way, I hope it isn't Mowbray that's instigated all of this, because I'll be very worried about things if he ever leaves the club on a high. It's the owners that have to have learned that lesson, but I just wonder if they've got lucky with Mowbray, rather than it being intentional. I have no idea, to be honest.

Back to Raya, he's solidified his claim for the number one spot, and when we bizarrely talk about certain players not being able to cut it in the Championship, this guy isn't even in our Player of the Season (so far) poll, and given that he's miles ahead of Steele, I wonder if we underestimate our bunch sometimes.

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a good signing for me. His best days are in front of him.

He's got huge potential. Absolutely unreal shot stopper and if he tidies up the rest a bit as he gets older and matures, we will have a very good and very expensive keeper on our hands :lol: 

As others have mentioned - his shot stopping is unreal at times...has pulled off some real worldies this season. On the flip-side, still has work to do on a few other areas but I am sure with experience he will get there. Could be a seriously good goalkeeper one day if he was able to improve likes dealing with crosses and his distribution.

• Backroom

Could be a very decent goalkeeper in time, that save at Fleetwood was the best I've seen since Friedel.

Decision making will hopefully come in time, he nearly cost us a goal this week coming for a cross he had no reason to come for and he also needs to be stronger as you don't get as much ref protection in these leagues.

Can see him being a big money sale in the future 

Had reservations about Raya not because he lacks ability but because he was so raw and with us wanting promotion it was a gamble but he's come on leaps and bounds and is already as good if not better than the previous fella.

Still a work in progress but this is a good move and it seems he was behind in the wages to other first teamers so it's fair enough. I can see a foreign club maybe coming after him in a year or two with big money he's got continental keeper written all over him and not just the name.

23 hours ago, tomphil said:

Had reservations about Raya not because he lacks ability but because he was so raw and with us wanting promotion it was a gamble but he's come on leaps and bounds and is already as good if not better than the previous fella.

Still a work in progress but this is a good move and it seems he was behind in the wages to other first teamers so it's fair enough. I can see a foreign club maybe coming after him in a year or two with big money he's got continental keeper written all over him and not just the name.

Delighted by both of these, particularly Raya whom I've been a big fan of for a little while.  I think he was probably better than Steele last season (he seemed to get worse during last season.

Raya has cost us a point or two, and come close a few times, but I  think he's saved us a few already and although he will continue to make mistakes hopefully with experience they will be fewer and fewer.

• 3 months later...

Archived