BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton debt

It's been going on for alot longer than that. Blackburn boulevard in the 1960s was packed with fans in red and white scarves waiting for buses for Manchester. I hate disloyalty to town, club and country. Made my blood boil then and still does now.

I am the same and I have been called a football fascist for my views about glory hunters! What right have I to decide who other people support?... blah, blah...

I was in the Hare and Hounds a few years back when Rovers suffered one of their customary, dodgy refereeing decisions at Old Trafford.

Anyway, this Utd fan was celebrating- OTT- in front of all his Rovers supporting mates...they were all only 18 or so... I should have known better.

I waited until he had stopped and everything had quitened down. Then, in the politest, most charming, avuncular voice I could muster I said.

"Excuse me , mate. Do you mind if I just ask you something?"

When he acknowledged me- innocently- in front of all his mates, I asked,:

"What part of Manchester do you come from?"

Cue... All his mates turned on him, howling abuse,catcalling, saying that he lived in Mellor!

The kid was so angry . He started swearing and calling me all sorts.

Into every young life, a drop of rain must fall....or something.

I am the same and I have been called a football fascist for my views about glory hunters! What right have I to decide who other people support?... blah, blah...

I was in the Hare and Hounds a few years back when Rovers suffered one of their customary, dodgy refereeing decisions at Old Trafford.

Anyway, this Utd fan was celebrating- OTT- in front of all his Rovers supporting mates...they were all only 18 or so... I should have known better.

I waited until he had stopped and everything had quitened down. Then, in the politest, most charming, avuncular voice I could muster I said.

"Excuse me , mate. Do you mind if I just ask you something?"

When he acknowledged me- innocently- in front of all his mates, I asked,:

"What part of Manchester do you come from?"

Cue... All his mates turned on him, howling abuse,catcalling, saying that he lived in Mellor!

The kid was so angry . He started swearing and calling me all sorts.

Into every young life, a drop of rain must fall....or something.

Does any manu fan come from Manchester, at least some of the City supporters do,

its like being born in England and then saying your from Scotland

Edited by yoda

Does any manu fan come from Manchester, at least some of the City supporters do,

its like being born in England and then defecting from the tyranny of the dictators and saying your from Bonnie Scotland, the land of the just and free!

Corrected it for you!

For a wise old sage you're doing a good impression of how not to be one! :P

Corrected it for you!

For a wise old sage you're doing a good impression of how not to be one! :P

That will change IF you go your own way, how long will it be before you will need a bailout?

Bonnie Scotland, land of the midgies more like

That will change IF you go your own way, how long will it be before you will need a bailout?

Remember when Ince said it was Men against Boys when United played Celtic? Hordes of the great unwashed descended on Rovers message boards and wouldn't leave for weeks.

Anyway, Boltons debt.....

It seems the penny has only just dropped about Scotland not being allowed to use the £ and having to become opart of the eurozone. Hasty and poorly thought out decisions brought on by resentment and the misguided desire to bite the hand that has been feeding it for centuries. They'll learn their lesson of course but it'll be too late.

Lets be honest just what does Scotland have to offer the eu? :huh:

Edited by thenodrog

It's been going on for alot longer than that. Blackburn boulevard in the 1960s was packed with fans in red and white scarves waiting for buses for Manchester. I hate disloyalty to town, club and country. Made my blood boil then and still does now.

I can't say I remember that Jim, maybe after we went down in 1966 ?

I remember being in a pub in Rochdale and getting within a ace of some daft older guy trying to plant me. He had the broadest Scots accent ever and was a really rabid Utd fan. After a while I said " What part of Manchester do you come from pal ? " It got a bit tasty before wiser councils prevailed.

It seems the penny has only just dropped about Scotland not being allowed to use the £ and having to become opart of the eurozone. Hasty and poorly thought out decisions brought on by resentment and the misguided desire to bite the hand that has been feeding it for centuries. They'll learn their lesson of course but it'll be too late.

The Loch Ness Monster of course, oh and Iron Brew

No more 'Tory rule' ever again, must be very tempting !

Also when I was at school in the late 70s, early 80s, maybe 2 or 3 in the class said they were Rovers fans. I was the only who went. It was the same playing out in the local area.

In the late 80s, before Uncle Jack put money in there were middle aged men in the local pub who 'supported' Liverpool as they were the successful team. They used to mock as we went to watch Rovers. As the Uncle Jack factor grew and Liverpool went into decline they switched to Rovers as lifelong fans and followed us all over. Now as the success has dried up, they never been near Ewood.

The majority of these I suspect have switched allegiances back to the Man Us and Liverpools of the world.

It is the same now as it alway has been but with the riches and media as it is today, the only club that the media want are the ones with large fan bases. As such the Premier League and the media want the rest of us to die so the next generation will have to support one of the big clubs.

I disagree with Theno who says that the only way to survive is Lancashire Utd. I suspect for a club to survive the only way is the MK dons way and franchise us to an area with a large population no professional football club within 100 miles of us.

Also when I was at school in the late 70s, early 80s, maybe 2 or 3 in the class said they were Rovers fans. I was the only who went. It was the same playing out in the local area.

LOTS OF LUFC MERCHANDISE ABOUT IN THOSE DAYS.

In the late 80s, before Uncle Jack put money in there were middle aged men in the local pub who 'supported' Liverpool as they were the successful team. They used to mock as we went to watch Rovers. As the Uncle Jack factor grew and Liverpool went into decline they switched to Rovers as lifelong fans and followed us all over. Now as the success has dried up, they never been near Ewood.

The majority of these I suspect have switched allegiances back to the Man Us and Liverpools of the world.

It is the same now as it alway has been but with the riches and media as it is today, the only club that the media want are the ones with large fan bases. As such the Premier League and the media want the rest of us to die so the next generation will have to support one of the big clubs. CORRECT. THE AMOUNT OF PRESS COVERAGE AFFORDED TO THE 3 DIVISIONS BELOW THE PREMIER LEAGUE IS SCANDALOUS.

I disagree with Theno who says that the only way to survive is Lancashire Utd. I suspect for a club to survive the only way is the MK dons way and franchise us to an area with a large population no professional football club within 100 miles of us.

WELL THAT CANNOT BE IN THIS COUNTRY CAN IT. INDIA? INDONESIA? PERHAPS? PERSONALLY I THINK SALMESBURY / BAMBER BRIDGE AREA IS FAR ENOUGH TO TRAVEL TO THE LANCASHIRE COUNTY STADIUM FOR A HOME GAME.

Edited by thenodrog

LOTS OF LUFC MERCHANDISE ABOUT IN THOSE DAYS.

It is the same now as it alway has been but with the riches and media as it is today, the only club that the media want are the ones with large fan bases. As such the Premier League and the media want the rest of us to die so the next generation will have to support one of the big clubs. CORRECT. THE AMOUNT OF PRESS COVERAGE AFFORDED TO THE 3 DIVISIONS BELOW THE PREMIER LEAGUE IS SCANDALOUS.

WELL THAT CANNOT BE IN THIS COUNTRY CAN IT. INDIA? INDONESIA? PERHAPS? PERSONALLY I THINK SALMESBURY / BAMBER BRIDGE AREA IS FAR ENOUGH TO TRAVEL TO THE LANCASHIRE COUNTY STADIUM FOR A HOME GAME.

I will never support a team called united

• 4 years later...
  • Backroom

A 12 point deduction would completely derail the otherwise impressive start they've had to the season. Hard to see them coming back from that, especially as in January they'll likely have to sell as many players as possible to stay afloat. 

Parkinson has really done an incredible job there with a lot going against him, but you can only push that boulder up an increasingly steep hill for so long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

interesting times - BBC Sport website recently ran an article about Birmingham City maybe facing points deduction for transfer misdemeanours - would be strange to see 2 clubs put in a position of almost certain relegation so early and potentially only one relegation spot in the championship this year.

Statement on Bolton's website from Anderson appears resigned to administration tomorrow. Either he's given up and there's no coming back from it or it's an extraordinary attempt at brinkmanship.

Bolton have been getting away with it for years now. Some would argue that they managed to get out of League One despite being in all sorts of financial trouble and survived last season by the finest of margins. Meanwhile these debts and financial issues have kept rumbling on and time after time they've avoided serious trouble at the very last minute. 

Birmingham won't get a points deduction as that punishment is a worst case scenario maximum penalty that can be negotiated down and almost certainly will be by a weak, money-controlled organisation. Entering administration carries an immediate 12 point deduction with no chance to have it changed.

Jesus, whilst I understand that a bit of gloating will take place as they are rivals.

But no one wants to see the complete destruction of a club, feel sorry for the fans who have been let down by terrible ownership. This seems to be something of a regular occurrence in football and something which we know all to well and something must be done. 

• Like 1

A very sad state of affairs. I for one hope Bolton find a way out of this.

On the basis of the two links I'm struggling to understand the situation. Blumarble are owed a sum, £4m?, plus interest which Anderson claims to have offered to pay.

Unless Anderson is offering substantially less than was originally agreed how/why would Blumarble put Wanderers in to administration? I imagine they would then receive less than the reported offer.

A twelve point deduction would very likely finish their season. It will be interesting to see if the EFL have the balls to do it.

The future? If this clears Bolton's debt someone will step in with a cheap offer claiming to bring a new beginning blah, blah. 'Twas ever thus and will ever be. Modern football is a cesspit. Blumarble to buy from the administrator?

Surely one day those who run the game will grasp the need to bring order to an industry which is out of control and ultimately heading for oblivion. All that keeps "English," no such thing in truth, football alive is Sky. If they ever pull out who would save it? Amazon quite likely. Hard to know which company is the more despicable.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul said:

A very sad state of affairs. I for one hope Bolton find a way out of this.

On the basis of the two links I'm struggling to understand the situation. Blumarble are owed a sum, £4m?, plus interest which Anderson claims to have offered to pay.

Unless Anderson is offering substantially less than was originally agreed how/why would Blumarble put Wanderers in to administration? I imagine they would then receive less than the reported offer.

A twelve point deduction would very likely finish their season. It will be interesting to see if the EFL have the balls to do it.

The future? If this clears Bolton's debt someone will step in with a cheap offer claiming to bring a new beginning blah, blah. 'Twas ever thus and will ever be. Modern football is a cesspit. Blumarble to buy from the administrator?

Surely one day those who run the game will grasp the need to bring order to an industry which is out of control and ultimately heading for oblivion. All that keeps "English," no such thing in truth, football alive is Sky. If they ever pull out who would save it? Amazon quite likely. Hard to know which company is the more despicable.

Sounds like they've repeatedly delayed and held back on paying this off and the loan company have had enough and are now forcing the issue. Putting them into administration will see Anderson lose control and the loan company take centre stage to recover their debt. Whatever Anderson has offered to pay it off isn't enough or is spread over installments. Seems like he's been aware of this for ages but has avoided paying it. I doubt Anderson has ever had the cash or was prepared to pay it off himself.

Things have improved over the last few years on clubs going into financial trouble. The last league club to go into administration was Aldershot Town and that was a good few years ago. 

The 12 point deduction is automatic and non negotiable. No doubt the Sky funded league would prefer not to dock Bolton and Birmingham points as it might be seen to harm the competition.

• Like 1