BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton debt

• Backroom

I heard on the radio this morning that NGog is on 35k pw, Wheater is on 25k, Eagles on 30k and Tyrone Mears is on 20k and hasnt played since we dicked them 4-1. There was something about Beckford too. I only half heard it because I was busy, but im sure they mentioned he was on 40k at Leicester and took a pay cut to go to Bolton. But you'd have to guess it wouldn't be a huge drop or he'd have sat tight. Some of those figures are very very scary.

Absolutely bonkers. Eagles and Mears are at best Championship level players, Wheater arguably the same these days and N'Gog has never even come remotely close to fulilling the potential that persuaded Liverpool to buy him. As for Beckford being on 40k p/w at Leicester... words fail me. No wonder the game is in such a mess.

Scary stuff. Infuriating thing is Gartside is considered a respected good guy and the reality is he is arguably dafter than venkys. At least they had no experience in football and can play the retard card...whats his excuse?

Gartside ????? :)

• Backroom

Scary stuff. Infuriating thing is Gartside is considered a respected good guy and the reality is he is arguably dafter than venkys. At least they had no experience in football and can play the retard card...whats his excuse?

I wish I had one of them there retard cards... I'd show it to one or two of the managers I work for :tu:

I wonder if he still wants promotion/relegation to and from the premier league abolishing like he touted a few years ago

Haha be fun to ask him. He used to be 1 down from Mr Whelan in wanting to talk on tv/newspaper and tell the world his thoughts on all things football. Surisingly dont hear from him much these days do we :)

Does it change our own team's situation. Yes, massively!

If a significant number of other teams in the championship are in the same boat as us, which quite clearly they are, then FFP will not come to fruition. FFP is supposed to help clubs so if it does the opposite then it won't come in. That will be good news for Rovers and quite a lot of other teams who have spent too much.

This is very true and I do know that Bolton do NOT expect FFP to be implemented next year (At least their main sponsor Fibrlec do not anyway)

Boltons position is VERY similar to ours in the Davies like Venkys is more than willing to sustain the debt. In fact most believe that he could happily write it off as chump change ( as could Venkys)

However FFP doesn't take into account your bank balance it takes your running costs against ur income...if there is a negative balance then ur in the crap..

The problem is that it is VERY elitist because unless you have big crowds in the PL then you are never going to achieve the dream...

FFP is a good concept but the belief in the clubs are that as long as you are cutting back and showing signs of being self sustainable then the penalties won't be imposed...for the time being anyway!

If they are imposed then expect a third of the championship to be be on a transfer embargo this time next season...made of ex PL clubs

If they are imposed then expect a third of the championship to be be on a transfer embargo this time next season...made of ex PL clubs

If that is the case as I suspect it will be then any club that has lived within it's budget and with a level head in charge will find good players will come extremely cheap. Wages will fall steeply and so will the number of hangers on. On the downside.... and there is always one, Ferrari, Bentley and Hummer shares will be in meltdown!

btw "The problem is that it is VERY elitist because unless you have big crowds in the PL then you are never going to achieve the dream..." A fact few are able to come to terms with. Too many pull the bedclothes over their heads and hope reallity will disappear but the plain fact is that for people in this area to ever support a local team which is able to compete in the top division it is necessary to amalgamate with our neighbours. It was unlikely before FFP but once that is in place there really is no option whatsoever. :tu:

btw good article that you found there Paul. I'd like to enjoy it more and throw some pebbles there way but unfortunately we are living in a glass house too. :(

The problem with waiting for owners with money is that they don't come along all that often. Laurence Cotton in the years before the First World War and then Jack. In between those years we were the poor relations. Since the lifting of the maximum wage small town clubs have struggled to compete with the big city clubs - it's nothing new. Ipswich won the title in 1961-62 and then we did in 1994-95 and in between it was dominated by City clubs. Since 1995 it has continued to be dominated by the clubs from Manchester and London. The history of football is about those with money and those without. We have chosen to support a club that is not one of the fashionable clubs that will attract sponsorship, large crowds or wealthy foreign ownership. FFP is about preventing clubs going out of existence and surely that has to be a good thing for those small communities for whom the football club is important. FFP may well have prevented Portsmouth falling through the Leagues and Coventry might well be playing in their own city rather than in Northampton.

Unfortunately it also makes sure that the big clubs stay ahead of the have nots and totally destroys competition for the rest. Edited by Al

• Moderation Lead

If that is the case as I suspect it will be then any club that has lived within it's budget and with a level head in charge will find good players will come extremely cheap. Wages will fall steeply and so will the number of hangers on. On the downside.... and there is always one, Ferrari, Bentley and Hummer shares will be in meltdown!

btw "The problem is that it is VERY elitist because unless you have big crowds in the PL then you are never going to achieve the dream..." A fact few are able to come to terms with. Too many pull the bedclothes over their heads and hope reallity will disappear but the plain fact is that for people in this area to ever support a local team which is able to compete in the top division it is necessary to amalgamate with our neighbours. It was unlikely before FFP but once that is in place there really is no option whatsoever. :tu:

btw good article that you found there Paul. I'd like to enjoy it more and throw some pebbles there way but unfortunately we are living in a glass house too. :(

Or if a lot of the local residents didn't sell out their own town and elect to support Man U or Liverpool, we'd have a much bigger fanbase. Edited by K-Hod

Unfortunately it also makes sure that the big clubs stay ahead of the have nots and totally destroys competition for the rest.

Exactly. It's quite simple, if you cant beat them... join them. Getting this across unfortunately is like trying to push a pea up a ski jump with my nose.

Or if a lot of the local residents didn't support sell out their own town and elect to support Man U or Liverpool, we'd have a much bigger fanbase.

Personally I'd horsewhip such.

Edited by thenodrog

You are becoming more and more like your avatar, Zaphod.

One head speaks sense ...

Personally I'd horsewhip such.

... and the other garbage ...

Exactly. It's quite simple, if you cant beat them... join them. Getting this across unfortunately is like trying to push a pea up a ski jump with my nose.

Edited by Ewood Spark
  • Like 1

If that is the case as I suspect it will be then any club that has lived within it's budget and with a level head in charge will find good players will come extremely cheap. Wages will fall steeply and so will the number of hangers on. On the downside.... and there is always one, Ferrari, Bentley and Hummer shares will be in meltdown!

. :(

Many times I and others have commented in this general way. I've felt for years the game would come crashing down, which I believe it is now, but always felt Rovers would survive because we easily fitted your description above.

Sadly no longer true.

Or if a lot of the local residents didn't sell out their own town and elect to support Man U or Liverpool, we'd have a much bigger fanbase.

This is a huge problem and I reckon will destroy many lower league clubs in the next 50 years. When teaching one class in Carlisle all the lads were football mad but bar one odd chap supporting Spurs, they all supported man u and liverpool. They would go see the odd match, but not have any loyalty, nor any interest in season tickets - now or in the future - for Carlisle. Seeing the most obvious source of the next generation supporters not supporting Carlisle makes me wonder how the club will attract enough loyal and regular customers in 50 or so years time.

Unfortunately it also makes sure that the big clubs stay ahead of the have nots and totally destroys competition for the rest.

Agree - its thoroughly depressing and destroys any notion of competition - which in turn defeats the purpose of playing.

Guest Norbert

As I get older, I like the fact there was a league club in my city. Well, I did until the nobbers went to Northampton. There's still the rugby team though, but the Richoh was just down the hill from work.

This is a huge problem and I reckon will destroy many lower league clubs in the next 50 years. When teaching one class in Carlisle all the lads were football mad but bar one odd chap supporting Spurs, they all supported man u and liverpool. They would go see the odd match, but not have any loyalty, nor any interest in season tickets - now or in the future - for Carlisle. Seeing the most obvious source of the next generation supporters not supporting Carlisle makes me wonder how the club will attract enough loyal and regular customers in 50 or so years time.

Agree - its thoroughly depressing and destroys any notion of competition - which in turn defeats the purpose of playing.

I've long argued the PL is uncompetitive though this season has more about it than recent ones - or so I gather as I don't take a lot of notice really.

Before City on Wednesday I can't recall the last time I was in a major PL ground apart from our last season in the PL. Looking around the Etihad on Wednesday evening I couldn't help wondering what's the point? I really don't think I could enjoy watching my football in a stadium like that. It's not a football ground, the audience was not a football crowd, the whole experience was depressing in relation to what football has become.

Yes City fans see the best in the world, 99 goals so far this season, but it lacks everything else I associate with football.

Edited by Paul

Agreed. Sad reflection of the skysports generation of fans.

It's been going on for alot longer than that. Blackburn boulevard in the 1960s was packed with fans in red and white scarves waiting for buses for Manchester. I hate disloyalty to town, club and country. Made my blood boil then and still does now.

• Like 1