BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah Ruben......

The classic "curates egg".

A profoundly puzzling player.

It hardly needs Professor Popkiss to recognise the splendid feel he has for the ball.

Or the absorbing evasion of apparent "dead end" situations.

But what about his propensity to sink without trace in his showboat?

And the directional infidelity that became a disturbing personification of a haywire TomTom?

Either a delight or sh!te but nothing in between.

Almost like a shot of heroin: momentary high makes way for conscience-stricken low as he undermines his dignity and worth with head in the clouds and horse feathers.

At times reminiscent of a young Matty Jansen,

At others fit only to tug the forelock,

His habits cause groans and spell-bound grandsons,

I need a whiskey on the rocks.

Watching the Rovers will now be routinely formulaic,

Yet so many are relieved to see the back of this "fake",

Engulfed by Gary's dishwater,

Ruben paid for being a hoarder.

Alas and farewell old boy,

For me you were a flickering joy :(

Ah Ruben......

It hardly needs Professor Popkiss to recognise the splendid feel he has for the ball.

And the directional infidelity that became a disturbing personification of a haywire TomTom?

Almost like a shot of heroin: momentary high makes way for conscience-stricken low as he undermines his dignity and worth with head in the clouds and horse feathers.

or the abridged version would be

flatters to deceive

I think a chap who sits within earshot of me best summed up Rochina best during a game this season (think it may have been the Sheffield Wednesday one). He was pleading for Bowyer to bring Rochina on throughout the second-half because we desperately needed more creativity in the team but then within five minutes of him being subtitled on he was only demanding that he be taken off because he had given the ball away twice and very nearly cost us a goal.

But didn't we get Evans who really in our squad is the direct comparison to Jones? (in my opinion)

Unfortunately Evans got injured when in very good form. Who would you rather have when fit? Evans or Jones?

In my opinion the two injuries that have hurt us and cost us a good number of points have been Evans and Robos. They both add to the spine of our team significantly both in ability and experience.

Its my opinion we would be in a play off position if those two had been ever present this season. Especially with the form of Marshal and Cairney in the last couple of months.

This is in reply to the comments about Jones (who I do rate as a player by the way).

But didn't we get Evans who really in our squad is the direct comparison to Jones? (in my opinion)

Unfortunately Evans got injured when in very good form. Who would you rather have when fit? Evans or Jones?

In my opinion the two injuries that have hurt us and cost us a good number of points have been Evans and Robos. They both add to the spine of our team significantly both in ability and experience.

Its my opinion we would be in a play off position if those two had been ever present this season. Especially with the form of Marshal and Cairney in the last couple of months.

This is in reply to the comments about Jones (who I do rate as a player by the way).

A fit Dunn is our biggest loss by a mile. Trouble is that it's hard to put a splint on his bloody head!

Ah Ruben......

Are you Stuart Hall with time on your hands......

Just remind me who the flair players are at Burnley then who elevate them to more than "a team of honest triers"

Ings and Vokes are the glory boys as far as goal scoring goes but they both work damned hard for the team and each other and fit into the well-established, drilled and disciplined pattern of play, something Rochina never looked remotely capable of achieving

If you could go back to summer and pick from having Rochina or Dave Jones for the season who'd you go for?

A bloke who's had half an hour at Derby, a fancy trick at Yeovil and fell over twice against Reading or whoever it was or a seasoned pro who's put a shift in week in week out with a club which will now have a job not to get a play-off place - which we, with our exorbitant wage bill, are talking about as if it's the Holy Grail and a free pass from there that we go up.

I know we have a fine left-sided midfielder in Cairney but there's no rule against playing two - I watched many games in Blackpool's promotion season where Adam and Vaughan worked well for them in tandem in fact on a few occasions Barry Bannan played as well.

Great appreciator of the Burnley team are you? No reason who flair players can not put the effort in too.

Every bricklayer need a hod carrier.

But the hod carriers achieve nothing without the bricklayer.

Great appreciator of the Burnley team are you? No reason who flair players can not put the effort in too.

But the hod carriers achieve nothing without the bricklayer.

Agreed about flair players who put effort in but, unfortunately, Rochina wasn't one of those. He was the perfect example of the "Carlos Kickaball" show pony. We are well rid.

Plenty of technical ability with little uptop! I did hope that the brief appearance at the beginning of the season he was showing signs of learning when to make the pass rather than just beat a man! But how long do you give a player that doesn't seem to be learning? If he could learn to look up and spot that killer pass....trouble is we have had young players who improved in that area over time - which seems to indicate Rochina is never going to. I have to be honest it wasn't long ago I thought the loss of him and Dunn was really hurting us but the improvement in other players has helped substantially.

Bowyer did play him at the beginning of the season but must have not been impressed with him since his return to fitness. It probably is also a sign that we have improved in other areas - ie improvement in Marshall and Taylor and Gestede that Bowyer just wants rid of him. Maybe even confidence in himself that he can find better players for the team. Certainly Evans, Marshall, Taylor and Cairney (Gestede id include but want to reserve judgement for a little longer - certainly signs are good) indicate he can find good championship players for relatively low outlay.

Agreed about flair players who put effort in but, unfortunately, Rochina wasn't one of those. He was the perfect example of the "Carlos Kickaball" show pony. We are well rid.

You are just wrong. We are never going to agree about this so we may as well stop kicking one another. I will still comment on Ruben but not in reply to any of your posts.

A play maker who has hardly had a sniff at an extended run..arguably good willy is is another not given a run .

Bloody hell Abbey! He'd batter Rochina in a scrap no doubt but effectively they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath. Goodwillie is a pub team player.

why is it Rochina gets pulled up more when he looses the ball yet other players like King or even long balls from Dann and Hanley do not get mentioned?

Good point. Dann's punts to the centre forward are usually a pass to the opposition. btw wasn't Tugay frequently accused of having an 'invisible friend'.... and he did Ok for us didn't he?

A play maker who has hardly had a sniff at an extended run..arguably good willy is is another not given a run .

Ruben a play maker ? I thought play makers were supposed to pass the ball now and again.

As for Goodwillie, he has been on loan a few times and not done anything. Even palace sent him back before January last season because he was that bad.

This is what the Dundee chairman said about him a couple of weeks ago...

"I don't think it was necessarily to do with the budget, it's much to do with what he's done since he came back, it's been a bit of a disappointment."
Ruben had some flashes of individual brilliance but I don't think he is a team player and unfortunately he is a luxury we can't afford.

its amazing how many fans are captivated by a few nice turns, flicks and stepovers. Ultimately he contributes very little and has not learned a thing. As entertaining (and frustrating) as his cameos are he is not good enough.

One episode at the Brimingham home game perfectly summed it up for me. He was in a great position to cross the ball, but chose to beat two men, which he did, and then ran the ball staright out of play for a goal kick.

yes, a team needs a bit of flair and creativity. But it also needs players with a brain and he doesn't have much of one.

Rochina must be seriously thick, as I can think of no other explanation for the way he conducts himself on pitch and is managing his career. I've seen 10 year olds with more on field awareness than him. The reason he never got an extended run is pretty obvious really. Does it really need spelling out? 20 touch football will give everyone a clue.

Bloody hell Abbey! He'd batter Rochina in a scrap no doubt but effectively they shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath. Goodwillie is a pub team player.

Pub player is about right. DG may well be the worst striker I have ever seen at Ewood and I've seen a few dodgy ones in my time. Svarc, Bell, Kennedy and Quinn all brought more to the table than him and cost buttons in comparison.

Rochina must be seriously thick, as I can think of no other explanation for the way he conducts himself on pitch and is managing his career. I've seen 10 year olds with more on field awareness than him. The reason he never got an extended run is pretty obvious really. Does it really need spelling out? 20 touch football will give everyone a clue.

Pub player is about right. DG may well be the worst striker I have ever seen at Ewood and I've seen a few dodgy ones in my time. Svarc, Bell, Kennedy and Quinn all brought more to the table than him and cost buttons in comparison.

I still remember the first time DG appeared at the circus. He honestly looked like he had his feet on the wrong way around.We couldn't take our eyes off him...a bit like Victorians with The Elephant Man, I suppose. Are you old enough to remember John O'Mara?

Archived