BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

See, childish strawman arguments like this do little to dignify your position.

No one has ever stated that Rochina's a world-beater. In fact, most of his supporters concede that he's an incredibly frustrating player at times and could stand to his improve his overall game. By the same token, his critics would be hard-pressed to deny that the guy is technically gifted and one of the few players we have who can run at defenders and pull players out of position.

When he started the first game of the season, him and Rhodes had Derby on the backfoot. It was terrible that he was sidelined for months, because it looked like Bowyer was prepared to give him his chance. Then he returned from serious injury and the knives were out again because he wasn't walking it into the back of the net.

Strawman argument? You'll need to explain that 1. Just because someone has ability doesn't make him a good player. What about the lad from Longridge who once entertained us at h/t with his keepy-uppie skills. massive ability with a ball but not a great player.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you said it earlier like it actually meant something. Haters? I've never hated any Rovers player you turnip.

You think stepovers, shooting high, blind alleys, beating the same man twice = skills. I see skill in correct decision making, effectiveness and lasting contributions.

You trot out that line in every Rhodes discussion as well. I'm now a Rhodes hater and a Rochina hater seemingly. Who else begins with R?

turnip? haha probably the lamest insult aimed at anyone ever on this board.

*sigh* We've been here before. Too bad most match reports disagree with you.

They [Derby] were under pressure early on though with Blackburn dominant and Spaniard Ruben Rochina a constant threat just behind lone striker Jordan Rhodes. - BBC

Best's introduction for Rochina seemed to disrupt Blackburn's rhythm but I just wonder if a tactical half-time team-talk will help Rovers regain an attacking stance in the second-half - they did start very well.
An enjoyable first half, which Blackburn were in control of until Rochina was forced off seven minutes before the break. - Daily Mail
Come back they had to after all the good work early on, somewhat cruelly, was undone in the space of four minutes towards the end of the first half, when insult was swiftly added to injury. First, the influential Rochina was taken off on a stretcher and on to hospital with a shoulder problem. - The Guardian

I don't need match reports, I have eyes. I have seen him do that so many times, trying to do everything himself.

No-one could argue that Rochina is the finished article but he has tremendous natural ability and imo with Dunn now somewhat past it RR is streets ahead of anyone else we have on the books for the playing in the hole role and I think it would be a massive pity and a bad decision were he to be allowed to leave permanently.

It wasn't even 45 minutes donermeat, it was less than 35. Still it was an excellent start to the game no matter what one or two fans say.

Why was it so good?

Rochina was the one that dictated the play, sure he missed a couple of efforts and could have made a couple of passes but he was the one that drove us forward.

We started like a train that day and imo it was because RR kept picking up the ball and driving at Derby, taking the play deep into their half and keeping it their, that's why so many reports mention him being so influential. I don't remember Derby doing anything at all in that game until the injury. Derby are good side with good players even under Clough and they looked terrified.

How many times have sat back with no one to drive the team on (not so much recently but plenty in the first half of the season),

that is what RR gave us in that game. It was a terrible shame that he got injured because a good start to the season might have made a big difference.

The previous game, albeit a pre season friendly versus Everton he did the same from the left wing. We were very poor for the opening hour or so then RR came on. (I know it was a meaningless game and Everton probably took their foot off the pedal) RR came on and drove the game into the opposition half and the last 25 minutes were quite enjoyable. For me the biggest contribution he made was actually changing the area of the pitch the game was being played in.

Some people make the reasonable point that there is more time and space in La Liga than the Championship and RR is more suited to it, personally i think he could have done a great job for us too... but the people who say he is just useless, tell that to the team in the highest quality league in the world that has picked him as a starter as they have gone from a relegation fight to the top half since he joined.

Also comparisons to Dunn, Jansen, Duff, Tugay are unfair. Dunn, without the lifestyle/fitness problems should have been an England squad regular and one of the PL's best flair players, Jansen would have been in the England squad, Duff was one of the PL's best players and Tugay is god.

• Backroom

It's easy to look at it another way. 'Rochina hating' isn't about not liking his skill. It's a joy to behold! The problem is he almost always runs up a blind alley or tries too much on his own, often at the expense of the team.

As for not liking skilful players, I quite like Cairney, Conway and Marshall (even King on a good day). More importantly they use that technique to drive the team on AND they do it successfully as they also have the athletic attributes to cope in this league. It's the very last part that Rochina lacks for me.

Watch the top players. Giving the ball away is a sin. If the team loses possession they battle to get it back. Possession is more important than any individual's abilities. For some unknown reason Rochina just doesn't get that.

Maybe the lovers would explain why?

Watch the top players. Giving the ball away is a sin. If the team loses possession they battle to get it back. Possession is more important than any individual's abilities. For some unknown reason Rochina just doesn't get that.

Maybe the lovers would explain why?

Two words stevie G

I swear that 45 minutes against Derby is slowly turning into this messageboard's version of 'that tackle'.

beat me to it LOL

I would also add that Rochina should look at someone like Conway - less spectacular and gifted certainly, but plays it simple and effective with a bit of quality and as a result has plenty of assists and goals to his name. Rochina could learn a lot from him.

I reckon the bottom end of La Liga is comparable to the top end of the Championship anyway.

It's obviously not. Which is why Granada sent some of their reserves to Watford ffs.

People are talking about that 45 mins because it's one of the only times he's actually played under Bowyer, so it's a lot more relevant than when he's played under jokers like Kean or Appleton.

He also played about half a dozen games last season under Bowyer and I do remember people saying he played much better than usual in that time as well.

People are talking about that 45 mins because it's one of the only times he's actually played under Bowyer, so it's a lot more relevant than when he's played under jokers like Kean or Appleton.

He also played about half a dozen games last season under Bowyer and I do remember people saying he played much better than usual in that time as well.

Because most fans have already made their mind up about him. It's the typical English mentality. Ruben's foreign, bit of a ball-hogger and a little cocksure of himself, therefore he's never going to get the same breaks that he would if he was local, runs around a lot but can't do eff all with the ball at his feet.

He started against Derby, and did well (despite roversfan99's myopic protestations) before injury struck. Then he played against Birmingham, and again the fans were quick to heap criticism on him because he didn't set their world alight. Despite the fact he'd only just returned from a serious layoff and wasn't match-fit. Unfortunately, there's always going to be that prejudice against him if or when he ever plays again, because his critics are so deeply entrenched in their cynicism that they need validating.

Archived