BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ally Macleod

Alan75

I think the name "Noddy" was because of his resemblance to the puppet of the same name, especially when running.

Noddy was a very popular children's TV programme. He had a friend called Loobie Loo.

I'm sure somebody will be able to come up with a picture.

My Dad told me a story about how he'd once given Ally MacLeod a lift on the back of his Lambretta scooter from the town centre up to East Lancs Cricket Club. Having unwisely chosen to go up Montague street, they got about half way, at which point the scooter was going so slowly that MacLeod hopped off and said it would probably be faster to walk :)

Long gone the days when Rovers players could hop on and off scooters (or be seen living amongst the people whose team they play for)...

One of my first recollections of Rovers, pre Wembley,Blackburn End Enclosure watching with my dad. .Ally Mcleod bombing down the wing head nodding like a metronome. Harry Leyland in goal,made Robbo look svelte (no offence to either).No idea of opposition,pre-Wembley because like many others he stopped going after the debacle,only to return circa 1972,(Venky's please note)

I think the name "Noddy" was because of his resemblance to the puppet of the same name, especially when running.

Noddy was a very popular children's TV programme. He had a friend called Loobie Loo.

I'm sure somebody will be able to come up with a picture.

looby lou was andy pandy's friend.

noddy's friend was big ears

sound like a right saddo dont I

1:32 - 1:40 on that video is the best bit

I didn't watch it but is it Archie Gemmell's goal ? Brilliant effort. I remember him playing for PNE. Rovers were slow there. He could have taken over from Bryan Douglas. Eventually we went for Jimmy Kerr instead. Potentially an equally good player but sadly injury prone.

Cubillas wasn't bad either.

I'd always presumed the nickname was because of the way he ran-nodding his head from side to side.

I have particular memories of a couple of testimonial matches-one would certainly have been Ronnie Clayton's and I presume the other would have been Dougie's. A few times he went on surging runs and the crowd really showed their appreciation by giving him a huge hand.

It seemed to be a way of thanking him both for what he did on the night and for what he'd done for the club when he'd been playing full time.

I also remember the reception he got but can't remember if he played in both testimonial games. In 1993 he had a testimonial at Ayr and we provided the opposition. Some footage here but not the best quality.

Back in the late 80's i worked with a lovely old chap called bill. I remember that he was born in 1926. He stood on the riverside for fifty or more years and claimed to have coined the nickname. "come on noddy, get that 'ead bobbin'! Due to his peculiar head movement.

Bill said it took off straight away and became his nickname.

Used to get tears in his eyes when talking about bryan douglas did bill...

The B side to the Ally's Tartan Army 7" single was the Andy Cameron classic "I want to be a punk rocker". I played both sides to death in 1978 in the build up to the World Cup. Ah memories....the excitement, the anticipation....then came Peru.

The B side to the Ally's Tartan Army 7" single was the Andy Cameron classic "I want to be a punk rocker". I played both sides to death in 1978 in the build up to the World Cup. Ah memories....the excitement, the anticipation....then came Peru.

Remember watching that then going out next day to get Peru subbuteo team, not because of the result (although funny) but loved the kit

Archived