BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton v Rovers

Neal

I'm going to keep this simple.

This has always been an interesting tie, from the 4-1 win from the promotion season, to the Steve Kean 2-1 defeat where people would have murdered him on live TV given the chance. The least entertaining one I can think of was when Olsson scored and we won 1-0 a few seasons ago, anyhow, feel free to discuss your favourite Rovers v Bolton games.

To the here and now, Bolton have had a recent upturn in form with 4 points from their last 2 games, getting a draw at Millwall and a win at home against a decent Watford team. Apparently this is due to a recent change in tactics from Freedman, giving them a licence to attack teams, something that most Rovers fans are desperate for as we chase the last promotion spot. Their win against Watford seemed a convincing one, a clean sheet and the scoreline could have been more flattering. New signing and one time Rovers target, Lukas Jutkiewicz scored his 3rd goal in 4 games giving them their first win in 10 games.

What I don't like about Bolton is their constant desperation to make this into a big local derby by being overly aggressive etc... I equally don't like that a lot of Rovers fans rise to it. No-one cares about Bolton but Bolton fans. United & City hate each other, we hate Burley, Preston & Blackpool hate each other, so lets leave it that way. If they're that desperate then surely they should be looking at Wigan for a fierce local derby, something I believe is starting to happen from what I've heard, there's been a number of incidents between the two sets of fans at recent games.

This one is a tough one to call given they're fighting for their lives at the wrong end of the table and have won their last home game. Bottom line is, if Gary Bowyer is serious about chasing promotion, then these are the teams you have to beat, no questions. The win at Reading will count for nothing unless this opportunity is taken, as we're playing for one play off place then a point is no good, we need to go their with a positive attitude, give them no respect, defend from the front and give them no time on the ball. Bolton are not a good side, what I fear is that our manager will set up in a way which will allow them believe they are, I've been to the Reebok before many times and seen us invite pressure and let their fans get behind them, thats not what we need this weekend. Keep them quiet, keep the ball, get on their first touch and frustrate them. I fear their new attacking style will upset Rovers (Bowyers) cautious style of play and invite Bolton into our half, the form of Lukas Jutkiewicz also troubles me, he's a big physical centre forward but hopefully this will play into the hands of big Grant or Matt Killgallon.

Another professional 1-0 win go down nicely and would be perfect for giving the boys confidence going into the real local derby against high flying Burnley but in all honesty this has a 1-1 draw written all over it.

1-1 Rhodes.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go for 2-2 . I've done my share of moaning about draws but as long as we don't set out for a nil nil and just hope to pinch something along the way then i'll be happy with a draw on this occasion. Send us in to THE REAL derby in decent shape. Bolton always raise their game against us at the breezeblock no matter what position they are. Any sitting back from the off and we'll be punished here.

• Moderation Lead

I see Matt Mills (CH) is out injured for Bolton, picked up knock late in Sat's game with Watford, could be a big miss,

especially as Zat Knight will probably be his replacement, he's been pretty poor in the last season or two according

to Bolton fans.

Quite right, Zat Knight is terrible! No way he'd be a footballer if he wasn't that tall. Gestede needs to be all over him from the off.

I see Matt Mills (CH) is out injured for Bolton, picked up knock late in Sat's game with Watford, could be a big miss,

especially as Zat Knight will probably be his replacement, he's been pretty poor in the last season or two according

to Bolton fans.

Yeah, I saw he was out, thats a big blow for them. We should be looking to get at Knight, he's a bad player.

• Backroom

I really hope these are false rumours just like the Rhodes one a couple of months back. Definately our most important player, has been solid all season and him and Kilgallon are playing excellent at the moment.

Quite possibly mean that this is our season over if true. On the other hand it could force Bowyer into defending from the front to take the pressure off our back 4. Either way, this would be devestating before Burnley.

If he is injured or not is really not the pressing issue. The issue is that Bowyer is both a positive and negative on the current situation.

Positive being the churn of average players is dwindling, a better team spirit and a look to the future.

Negative being so many games we could have made a go of and we didn't, and yet ANOTHER signing of a bang average striker who will not do anything and no signings in defence. Knowing our season we will get an injury there but continue to overlook it.

If we don't go up and actually made a go of it I could understand, but at times we have not even made an effort that I feel I've been led on.

The below is from a Boywer interview talking about the threat of Jay Spearing and the Bolton midfield. Looks like the creative central 2 are set to start again.

“It’ll be up to Lee Williamson and Jason Lowe (defensive midfielders) to go and nullify them.”

The below is from a Boywer interview talking about the threat of Jay Spearing and the Bolton midfield. Looks like the creative central 2 are set to start again.

Itll be up to Lee Williamson and Jason Lowe (defensive midfielders) to go and nullify them.

Can't say I'm surprised but that's a really negative mindset. Instead of trying to nullify their creative players why don't we take the game to them with our own creative players and let them worry about how to nullify us. After all we're the team in 9th and they are the one in 19th.

Still if we win what do I know.

I'm not surprised. Evans probably isn't quite ready for a full 90 mins. Isn't Cairney doubtful?

So it doesn't leave that much of an alternative but to play Lowe and Williamson. If they both play as well as they did against Reading it might not be to bad. Their positional roles in that game seemed to be a bit better defined.

Funnily enough Bolton wanting to be more attacking similar to Reading might make the Lowe Williamson pairing a more sensible one. For me the problem is when you are against teams who are coming to Ewood with a very defensive mentality that we need to open then up then that pairing struggle.

Don't get me wrong a fully fit Evans would go straight into the team.

To be honest I'm more concerned about Cairney's fitness. Conway's and Cairney's ability help to balance out Lowe and Williamson when we have two up top. Without both of them the midfield does without doubt become to defensive.

“It’ll be up to Lee Williamson and Jason Lowe (defensive midfielders) to go and nullify them.”

Bowyer obviously rates Spearing doesn't he?

I've only seen Spearing at Ewood but he does tend to prefer to sit deep and dictate Bolton's play from there. Bit of a young Danny Murphy. Bit old fashioned these days but if this is the case at the Reebok then 1 player (Lowe / Taylor) might be detailed to do nothing but sit tight on him and man mark him out of the match. If that player gets an early booking then swap over. This is the Ackilles heel of clubs who rely on one influential player. Rem what Sutty did to Tugay when we played Celtic at Ewood and the difference that it made?

Archived