BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Season

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impending departures?! Who are they?

Robbo will go but he's certainly replaceable.

Dunn will stay but only play now and again (no change there).

Hanley may go for the right price but I expect him to stay.

Rhodes will go if a prem team bids £12m. He is irreplaceable but wouldn't be surprised if he signs a new contract and stays for another season.

Other key players such as Cairney, Conway, Evans, Gestede will all be here next season plus a few more additions.

There will be a lot of departures but they won't be our best players.

like who ?

I dont share the optimism for next season ....

The league has been very weak this season , coming down could be Cardiff, Sunderland and Norwich ...coming up could be Wolves ....4 teams , I expect to up near the top ...

If Dunn, Hanley Rhodes and Robbo depart I honestly fear for us ..

Leicester and Burnley have promotion very easily , there has been no pressure on them , mainly thanks to the inadequacies of the teams below them....

Blackburn Rovers have missed a trick this season , should be at least be in the play offs .....

Next season we are in for a relegation scrap from Game 1...

jim mk3

ha ha

like who ?

jim mk3

ha ha

Like the 20 odd players we currently have out on loan. They'll either be sold (hopefully!) or shipped out on loan again.

Some of our best players MAY go but they will be overpriced and thus why I believe we'll keep the majority of them.

because the VENKYSCUM have already sold them FFS

Well, yes that's true. But we were selling our best players long before Venkys came in. That's not a defence of the shambles Venkys have been but more of a realism about how a club like Rovers, and indeed the majority of clubs, operate.

Like the 20 odd players we currently have out on loan. They'll either be sold (hopefully!) or shipped out on loan again.

Some of our best players MAY go but they will be overpriced and thus why I believe we'll keep the majority of them.

Well, yes that's true. But we were selling our best players long before Venkys came in. That's not a defence of the shambles Venkys have been but more of a realism about how a club like Rovers, and indeed the majority of clubs, operate.

if anybody wants them

Yes we did sell our best players before Venkys came in, in fact throughout our history. But never all of them and never all at once.

And we never didn't pick them for contractual reasons.

The only two players who i fear may attract attention is Hanley and Rhodes. Rhodes for obvious reasons and Hanley has really kicked on this season and he might well be seen as a good prospect for a PL side. Personally speaking i'd loathe to lose either. The thought of starting next season with another new center half pairing worries me. If Hanley and Kilgallon get some playing time between now and the end of the season you'd hope to reap the rewards of stability (everyones favourite word) next season. Rhodes' goals would be a big big miss.

However, for the most part i think the squad seems settled and content. We hear noises coming out about big hopes for next season and i think most of the young squad we have want to see how that progresses.

I'd let Robinson go in the summer simply because of the wage savings. But i'd like to see us spend a good portion of whatever we might have available in replacing him. I think we need some experience back there and i'm certain we could bring in someone on less money than Robbo but who can marshall that back four.

I think right back is an area we need to improve in. However, i'm not sure i would invest in a new RB. I think we have the answer in Lowe. Dogged little so n' so who always does a better job back there than in midfield. OK he offers nothing going forward but i don't think thats a bad thing necessarily. I don't think he's intelligent or aware enough to be effective in midfield. Too much to concentrate on in every direction. At least at fullback his job description is simple and understandable.

I hope we move away from this stubborn desire to have a defensive midfielder or two in the side. I'd like to see Cairney playing as our deepest lying midfielder. OK he's no destroyer, but he can receive the ball from the back four and make things happen from deep. Not all midfielders who sit deep need to have a tackle in them. I'd like to see him do a job like Carrick did in his pomp. Or Charlie Adam did at Blackpool. Or even our very own Tugay. If you set up with two players in the middle who are there for no other reason than to break up opposition play then it sends a message to the opposition that we aren't here to play on the front foot. That we're worried about how they can hurt us rather than looking to hurt them.

I hope that a good preseason can help Evans get fitter. I like his energy and he is a good little player. He gets up and down very well and in front of Cairney he can do a job. However, all the signs look as if he's another who's made of glass. If he can prove me wrong i still think he's very capable of doing a job for us. However, i still think we need another body in the middle of the park. Dunny is still a class act, but we need somebody else capable of unlocking sides for the 75% of the time when Dunny isn't fit. I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be a stereotypical No.10 who floats about and looks to thread through a killer ball. But it does need to be someone who is adept at running with the football. Dunny has still got superb close control and when he makes those 10 yard bursts it often opens up space for others. I'd definately look for someone of this ilk. Can Alan Judge do this role for us????

The wide positions i think we look good in. Marshall was looking better and better and if we can find a way to get King back to his early season form then he can be a real menace. Conway looks like a terrific signing and i think this is one area we should leave alone.

Up front we might be one short. Varney is a grafter but he is sadly lacking in terms of quality. I sincerely hope Bowyer drops any interest in him. IMO we need a real speed merchant up top. Just gives us another option. Gestede looks to be a terrific signing and he seems to be developing a promising partnership with Rhodes.

The rave reviews the lad at Rochdale (O'Connell is it) keeps getting suggests he might be ready to step up. Let him be the cover we lack at center half and if he gets the chance to show what he's got then so be it.

Also it would be nice to see a few more carefully chosen minutes for Mahoney. I appreciate he's very young and raw, but it didn't stop Derby blooding Will Hughes and it shouldn't stop us. If he's good enough lets see what he's got. With Dunn's career coming to an end it'd be lovely to see another home grown talent emerge. I can't say i've seen much of him, but the reports have been very good and if he continues to progress you'd hope he'd get a chance at the right times.

Graaban and Ritchie at Bournemouth keep catching my eye, would like to see them at Rovers. Of course if Bournemouth carry on then they may well make the play offs themselves.

Would like to think the lad at Rochdale will be given a chance, always heard good things about him. Him and Keane on loan again alongside Hanley and Killa would hopefully make for a decent choice of CB's.

I fully expect Bowyer to be able to bring in 2 or 3 more good signings of the same ilk as Conway, Gestede, Cairney and Marshall. Just hope we don't waste wages on Varney and Feeney signing permanently. They really aren't upper championship material.

Matt Ritchie at Bournemouth fits that criteria perfectly but I don't know what our chances would be of getting him, would be a great signing if we could manage it though.

A name I've mentioned quite a few times before on here, would like Rovers to go for him as he's a very good player but with King, Marshall, Conway, Taylor & Cairney (unfortunately) all playing out on the wings then it's highly doubtful. I think he'd be good in a number 10 role.

I'd let Robinson go in the summer simply because of the wage savings. But i'd like to see us spend a good portion of whatever we might have available in replacing him. I think we need some experience back there and i'm certain we could bring in someone on less money than Robbo but who can marshall that back four.

I think right back is an area we need to improve in. However, i'm not sure i would invest in a new RB. I think we have the answer in Lowe. Dogged little so n' so who always does a better job back there than in midfield. OK he offers nothing going forward but i don't think thats a bad thing necessarily. I don't think he's intelligent or aware enough to be effective in midfield. Too much to concentrate on in every direction. At least at fullback his job description is simple and understandable.

I hope we move away from this stubborn desire to have a defensive midfielder or two in the side. I'd like to see Cairney playing as our deepest lying midfielder. OK he's no destroyer, but he can receive the ball from the back four and make things happen from deep. Not all midfielders who sit deep need to have a tackle in them. I'd like to see him do a job like Carrick did in his pomp. Or Charlie Adam did at Blackpool. Or even our very own Tugay. If you set up with two players in the middle who are there for no other reason than to break up opposition play then it sends a message to the opposition that we aren't here to play on the front foot. That we're worried about how they can hurt us rather than looking to hurt them.

I hope that a good preseason can help Evans get fitter. I like his energy and he is a good little player. He gets up and down very well and in front of Cairney he can do a job. However, all the signs look as if he's another who's made of glass. If he can prove me wrong i still think he's very capable of doing a job for us. However, i still think we need another body in the middle of the park. Dunny is still a class act, but we need somebody else capable of unlocking sides for the 75% of the time when Dunny isn't fit. I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be a stereotypical No.10 who floats about and looks to thread through a killer ball. But it does need to be someone who is adept at running with the football. Dunny has still got superb close control and when he makes those 10 yard bursts it often opens up space for others. I'd definately look for someone of this ilk. Can Alan Judge do this role for us????

The wide positions i think we look good in. Marshall was looking better and better and if we can find a way to get King back to his early season form then he can be a real menace. Conway looks like a terrific signing and i think this is one area we should leave alone.

Up front we might be one short. Varney is a grafter but he is sadly lacking in terms of quality. I sincerely hope Bowyer drops any interest in him. IMO we need a real speed merchant up top. Just gives us another option. Gestede looks to be a terrific signing and he seems to be developing a promising partnership with Rhodes.

The rave reviews the lad at Rochdale (O'Connell is it) keeps getting suggests he might be ready to step up. Let him be the cover we lack at center half and if he gets the chance to show what he's got then so be it.

Also it would be nice to see a few more carefully chosen minutes for Mahoney. I appreciate he's very young and raw, but it didn't stop Derby blooding Will Hughes and it shouldn't stop us. If he's good enough lets see what he's got. With Dunn's career coming to an end it'd be lovely to see another home grown talent emerge. I can't say i've seen much of him, but the reports have been very good and if he continues to progress you'd hope he'd get a chance at the right times.

Good post, I share a lot of the same views. Get rid of Varney, Lowe at right back, keep Judge involved, O'Connor at Torquay should be involved in the squad, he's been getting rave reviews down there and their manager has good things to say...

Could O'Connor be the answer for the right back???

Would let Rochina go.tbh. never really done it. but maybe could argue that he never been given a proper chance tbh.

Cant see us signing the Bournemouth pair tbh. would cost alot of money.

Does Bowyer have any money to spend or will it be free transfers and loans???

Guest Norbert

We'll lose Rhodes, Hanley and Robinson and be relegated. Especially when we get 10 points knocked off for going into administration.

There you go I said it so other people don't have to.

Could O'Connor be the answer for the right back???

Would let Rochina go.tbh. never really done it. but maybe could argue that he never been given a proper chance tbh.

Cant see us signing the Bournemouth pair tbh. would cost alot of money.

Does Bowyer have any money to spend or will it be free transfers and loans???

Best ask Nixon about the budget.......

• 2 weeks later...

After Fridays perfromance I certainly want to see some big changes at Rovers next season. Starting at amangement level. Gaz had his chance and blew it, I think he'd leave a good squad of players for whoever would step in to the role. In the past I've never liked the thought of having Mick Macarthy but seeing how his Ipswich side v Rovers only cost £400,000 then I have to respect that... I wouldn't be upset if he took over and I don't see it as an unrealistic option... The only thing unrealistic is Venkys appointing an experienced manager such as himself.

After Fridays perfromance I certainly want to see some big changes at Rovers next season. Starting at amangement level. Gaz had his chance and blew it, I think he'd leave a good squad of players for whoever would step in to the role. In the past I've never liked the thought of having Mick Macarthy but seeing how his Ipswich side v Rovers only cost £400,000 then I have to respect that... I wouldn't be upset if he took over and I don't see it as an unrealistic option... The only thing unrealistic is Venkys appointing an experienced manager such as himself.

I would give bowyer next season.

He has brought in some great players who will be better with a pre-season together. Plus he loves the club and has only had one full season in charge.

I am worried by some of his tactics, him and his coaches unable to change a game etc. But I think overall he is our best shot next year.

I would give bowyer next season.

He has brought in some great players who will be better with a pre-season together. Plus he loves the club and has only had one full season in charge.

I am worried by some of his tactics, him and his coaches unable to change a game etc. But I think overall he is our best shot next year.

If his tactics worry you now and you think he can't change a game do you honestly think he will have improved sufficiently come August? That is the real worry for me. There is far more evidence this season to prove he isn't learning than otherwise.

I do get the impression that your support of Bowyer is wavering since the Sheffield game.

I wonder how little Dunny would accept? He's only a bit part player these days but if he could be kept fit and trim he's easily good enough to perform a job in 'cameo' appearances next season. Sat next to North End fan against Ipswich and he scoffed at his appearance when he came on but was purring about his quality within 10 mins.

Out on loan....

Leon Best - Sheff Weds

DJ Campbell - Millwall, now back

Songo'o - Ross County

John O'Sullivan - Southport

Alex Marrow - Fleetwood

Bradley Orr - Toronto

Ruben Rochina - Rayo Vallencias

Josh Morris - Fleetwood

Alan Judge - Brentford

Anthony O'Connor - Torquay

David Goodwillie - Blackpool

Jack O'Connell - Rochdale

Jorden Slew - Ross County

Out of all those above - I would only look to get Jack O'Connell, Anthony O'Conner, Josh O'Sullivan & Ruben Rochina back at the club - the rest for me can leave... free's/ minimal transfer fees, whatever!

Of those we have on loan, I would ONLY look to get Michael Keane on loan again, the rest (Varney, Dabo, Feeney, Kane) - can go back to their parent clubs.

I would then look to offload Williamson & Etuhu also.

We then need to look to buy a new keeper to challenge/ replace Robbo long term, a new right back and in my opinion a striker to challenge Gestede & Rhodes, ideally a quick attacker to give us a different option and possibly another CM option on loan.

Archived