BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again - can we not go a full season without questioning the leader of the ship? What purpose would it serve getting rid of Bowyer this late in the season? I said at the start that I'd save my thoughts after he's had a full season and I'll continue to do just that.

Recently Bowyer has had a torrid run of results - there's no excusing that Burnley result. But I still believe there's something to be had from this season. Bowyer has had to off-load a truck-ton of dead wood, cut a wage bill in half and get a very young side to come together and play football that wins matches against teams with players that have a lot more experience in these positions.

If Bowyer was replaced, who would come in? This miracle chap isn't going to come into the chair at this point in the season and make a whole lot of a difference. The honest reality is that the play-off's have passed us. This replacement isn't going to have a war chest to bring in tried and proven Premier League / Championship promotion players. The fact is the January window is now behind us.

I'm not saying we should settle for so called 'mediocrity' in the long run - but we're kicking ourselves in the shin by stirring the pot at this point in the season.

For those who bring up the Venky's as a reason to vent, well, what has been done is done. All you can do is swallow it and look at what we're faced with in the present.

I'm neither for or against Bowyer as I still feel the jury is out. What we're seeing at the moment is a team playing tense, nervy football. They can see the play off's in the distance and they can feel the anxiety in the terraces. There's players who don't believe they've got what it takes to win games against the better teams in the competition. I believe with time and confidence this will come. The last thing they need is us turning on them. We've all a right to our own voice, but respect where we've been and how quickly things can plummet. Booing and calling for the head of the man who has at least steadied the ship could be catastrophic at this point in the season.

Bad time to ask, three defeats on the trot and most footy fans think the world is ending, never mind Rovers fans.

If we could definitely get an improvement on Bowyer in, then I'd replace him.

It's been shown time and again how effective a good manager can be in getting that extra % from his players...Souey being a prime example in his first few years.

But realistically, who will we attract who represents an improvement on steady-hand Bowyer...?

Venkys Out !

Thats the real answer.

Not really added much to the debate as we're all thinking the exact same thing.

Do you think Bowyer is doing an alright job of mopping up Venkys chicken @#/??

Kicked it off with a Yes, but review at the end of the season.

Okay it's been a disappointing run of results lately but I see no reason why Gary shouldn't be given till the end of the season at least. He's made some very positive changes to this club, instilling a degree of pride to the shambles of the last few years, ridding the dressing room of some truly poisonous characters, introducing young, 'usually' hungry players who I believe do care for the club.

As I said the other day, yes some performances have been frustrating, but I do feel that he has made some very positive signings in Cairney, Marshall, Kilgallon, Conway, Gestede who could provide a good base to a competitive side in this division. We're all cut up and we're all hurting as fans after the last few results but let's just take stock of it all.. 13 games to play and then time for a review perhaps?

I've mixed feelings.

Is all this 'stability' within the club down to Gary Bowyer steadying the ship or is it as a consequence of the removal of disruptive influences?

Much of the deadwood have been moved on but most will return come the end of May. A temporary respite. Has anyone looked at loans in and loans out and what the actual squad is come the end of May? Personally I've lost track.

I've watched most games home and away since mid October and can't understand where any positivity can be seen on the field of play, it's been crap. Where's all this building for the future I keep reading about? Depends where aspirations lie I guess.

The pertinent point is they're GB signings, GB tactics, GB motivated, GB's team. They've flunked time and again.

Who knows what's still going on behind the scenes, that's the real problem. Let's know what the future holds, how we intend to get there, how it's to be financed (or not) and then pick a manager who in turn picks a squad to live it out.

Without that positive direction from above, it's immaterial who the manager is. So for now it may as well be Gary Bowyer as anyone else IMO.

I would largely agree with Kamy but I am sure he will have to answer to some questions regarding recent form 3 defeats in a row and 2 abject performances against Bolton and last night to top off a derby day defeat leaves our season being another write off.

Although you do have to question what is going on at Brockhall

• Rhodes has gone off the boil somewhat,
  • constantly playing a negative midfield pairing of Williamson and Lowe
  • selling Scott Dann without a competent and trustworthy replacement

You have to give GB some credit he has steadied the ship somewhat opted to shift players he felt would not contribute the team.

In a perfect world I'd ask him so stand aside tomorrow and be 2nd or 3rd in line coach to a proper manager who would be happy to work like that. He's perfect for that job being close to these young players and having signed a lot. He could then take his directions from the manager, a Tony Parkes role for him. Either that or his old job back because we do need guys like him within the club and I'd hate to see him sacked but whether he'd swallow it who knows.

In a perfect world I'd ask him so stand aside tomorrow and be 2nd or 3rd in line coach to a proper manager who would be happy to work like that. He's perfect for that job being close to these young players and having signed a lot. He could then take his directions from the manager, a Tony Parkes role for him. Either that or his old job back because we do need guys like him within the club and I'd hate to see him sacked but whether he'd swallow it who knows.

I hear you but where are the fruits of his 11 years labour in charge of the academy? Phil Jones, Grant Hanley and...........

Totally agree with Kamy. Clubs like Forest, Ipswich and Bolton have all gone on shocking runs this season and lost several in a row yet, according to some, they have 'proper' managers. A lot of it boils down to the fact that there is a lack of respect for Bowyer's ability because he has coached at youth team and reserve level but never 1st team level. If he was Mick Mcarthy or Billy Davies would people be calling for his head? I don't think so.

Look at Holloway, hardly pulling up any trees at Millwall. Don't like this 'lose a game and sack the manager' culture. If this time next season we are only mid table, there are no excuses as he will have had plenty of time to bed in his own players, get a settled team and playing style.

Im both for and against, cant help but like the way he comes across in interviews and likes most of the signings he made. Most players being English and Scottish is also a big plus in my opinion. And some of the slack he is taking on here is beyond reason, the last three games lost and two derbies included, but i still think we played great against Burnley despite two bad moments with the goals. But that cant be on Bowyer. Also have in mind the injuries we had in Evans, Cairney and Marshall to name the most important ones.

His downside is the defensive mind he has on games that can swing either way, then he seems to favour not losing instead of being the side that gears up for it. And his subs is sometimes really strange, Burnley still amazes me, bringing on someone with 20mins to go in a derby to replace the hero Dunn and he chooses Feeney, a player thats been at the club for a day. Also selling Dann and then wait til Hanley and Kilgallon gets injured before bringing in a backup is weird. It gets strange with some decision making from the management team sometimes that i question the most.

True darrenrover although i'm not sure how the academy works in terms bringing players in etc. Isn't there an academy director or something ? I was under the impression he just coached what was given to him, maybe not.

Kamy is wrong.

If people don't think better options exist than GB then they need to watch more football.

@#/? sake Kenny mate it's not the better options it's the FACT that they will not replace him with an experienced option. They haven't this far and will not ever... Do you remember what they did to the last "manager" we had? Sacked him when we were at the highest position we'll most likely be for decades.

Wake up pal! We all see GBs issues but a few of you ain't smelling the coffee/ seeing the big picture

Archived