BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have an opinion on back or sack - I don't see GB has done anything to deserve dismissal nor has he made any major progress.

The big question mark for me is this; do he and the team possess the ruthless streak needed to finish off the opposition? All the evidence this season is the short answer is "No."

Since Christmas, and yesterday is just the latest example, we have lacked the ruthlessness and consistency to be a promotion winning team. Every time an opportunity has arrived to reach the top six or get very close we have failed to grasp it.

For all his good work GB has failed to produce a consistent team capable of exploiting others failures. If he had succeeded at this we would be top six this morning.

Personally , I do not think Bowyer has what it takes to be a manager...He has cost us too many points this season...

If you are happy with our position in the league table , carry on and keep him for next season......We will be in the same position or slightly lower next time around....

It will be harder next season Wolves are up , Sunderland more or less down.

IF we can keep our existing squad (well the ones we want), and add a right back, a keeper and a pacey striker, then I think WITH Bowyer we would go up next season no probs.

We need leadership. We keep conceding a lot of goals in last 15 mins. It's an tactical issue and errors keep coming under pressure. Real leader could do the job. It doesn't have to mean Bowyer's departure but he must bring in few experienced player. Next season looks much more promising than this one a year ago. If Bowyer is replaced the new has to have good history in this league.

I don't have an opinion on back or sack - I don't see GB has done anything to deserve dismissal nor has he made any major progress.

The big question mark for me is this; do he and the team possess the ruthless streak needed to finish off the opposition? All the evidence this season is the short answer is "No."

Since Christmas, and yesterday is just the latest example, we have lacked the ruthlessness and consistency to be a promotion winning team. Every time an opportunity has arrived to reach the top six or get very close we have failed to grasp it.

For all his good work GB has failed to produce a consistent team capable of exploiting others failures. If he had succeeded at this we would be top six this morning.

I think you're being a little harsh Paul,

Yes it's been disappointing to lose vital points in games we should be winning, but to say he's not made any major progress is wide of the mark for me.

Players that operate at a consistent level regularly, play at a higher level than the championship. Bowyer has been forced to build a side of misfits and rejects and almost made the playoffs, in his first real season in charge, that's a great achievement for me.

With all the turmoil at the club, numerous incomings and outgoings on the playing side, it was always going to be a 2-3yr plan for Bowyer in my book, and if that's the case we're on track for the play offs next season.

Far too many posters are looking for instant success, not aimed at Paul by the way, this is a product of the Walker era sadly, but that's not living in the real world I'm afraid, these things take time if you're skint, so patience is required.

Yes it's been disappointing to lose vital points in games we should be winning, but to say he's not made any major progress is wide of the mark for me.

Players that operate at a consistent level regularly, play at a higher level than the championship. Bowyer has been forced to build a side of misfits and rejects and almost made the playoffs, in his first real season in charge, that's a great achievement for me.

With all the turmoil at the club, numerous incomings and outgoings on the playing side, it was always going to be a 2-3yr plan for Bowyer in my book, and if that's the case we're on track for the play offs next season.

Far too many posters are looking for instant success, not aimed at Paul by the way, this is a product of the Walker era sadly, but that's not living in the real world I'm afraid, these things take time if you're skint, so patience is required.

Good post Gav , I can remember the Rochdale away Halifax etc ..

But do you really think Gary Bowyer will eventually get us promotion ??

Promotions in my time the managers have been Gordon Lee , Howard kendall, Kenny and Graeme Souness ...

I just cannot see Bowyers name being added to the list !

• Backroom

I think we'll know a lot more about that come Christmas time personally.

The previous season of upheaval will be behind us with a 'stable' season this season then next season would be the time to push on and build on those solid foundations.

I couldn't agree more Gav. This is exactly how I feel about the present situation.

Good post Gav , I can remember the Rochdale away Halifax etc ..

But do you really think Gary Bowyer will eventually get us promotion ??

Promotions in my time the managers have been Gordon Lee , Howard kendall, Kenny and Graeme Souness ...

I just cannot see Bowyers name being added to the list !

In fairness, Waggy, the second half of 1973-74, when Gordon Lee arrived, was pretty poor with just one win in the last eleven games. The following season we won the Third Division Championship. I'm not saying we will go up next season but I do think we will be able to offer a more realistic challenge for the play-off places.

I couldn't agree more Gav. This is exactly how I feel about the present situation.

In fairness, Waggy, the second half of 1973-74, when Gordon Lee arrived, was pretty poor with just one win in the last eleven games. The following season we won the Third Division Championship. I'm not saying we will go up next season but I do think we will be able to offer a more realistic challenge for the play-off places.

Very true Parson , but the last 11 games of last season were also very poor !

• Moderation Lead

Gav makes some good points, but I still think that people are just pointing put faults with the manager and this happens at every club.

There is a large amount of pent up frustration with the same mistakes being made time and again regarding conceding late goals, silly mistakes, for these, as Stuart said, the buck stops with the manager. It always has...

Hughes was great. He went a bit off at Fulham, but has started to work again at Stoke. And you're right about Bowyer being too pally. Still this is all academic since we all know Di Canio or Maradona will be brought in.

Hughes seems best suited to managing good honest pro's at good honest clubs like ours and Stoke. He doesn't appear to handle the whispering politics of the corridors, board interference, the media and temperamental players too well. I don't think he'd be suited to the London or North East clubs but if anybody spirited away Martinez and I were Kenwright I'd move heaven and earth to get him.

Rochina is an example of how Bowyer can't work with quality.

Rubbish that Stuart. he might not have got the best out of Rochina but are you saying that Bowyer hasn't worked very well with the creative types like Dunn, Conway, Marshall and Cairney?

Unbelievable over reactions babyhouse tantrums which is becoming the norm after dropping points.

More accurate I think.

Is this thread still going?!

:wacko:

No.

IF we can keep our existing squad (well the ones we want), and add a right back, a keeper and a pacey striker, then I think WITH Bowyer we would go up next season no probs.

totally agree there Hughesy.

we need first choice right back in. I still think King this pacey striker we need if we bring in another wide player. if not a pacey striker I think we should is Rochdale's Scott Hogan. I'm sure that Bowyer and scouting department will have scouting him

I'm 50/50 on whether we need a new keeper.

but I still support Bowyer as manager and I think he will have us defo top 6 next season for sure if we don't make it this season. still a slight chance this season.

Should it? Surely the answer is whatever works. Bowyer hasn't lost the dressing room by the looks of it and the players are still playing for him.

As you have already pointed out coaches are generally more pally with the players and it looks like Bowyer might have carried on that same vein when he became manager.

Bowyer defo hasn't lost the dressing room at all. the players are still behind Bowyer. any claims otherwise are guesswork and probably BS!!!

I didn't say he 'must be' but that coaches are generally pally and he's continued that relationship. It should be 'gaffer' and 'the boss' not 'Gaz' and he shouldn't be using player nicknames.

As a manager he needs to have those players competing for their places, not sticking your mates straight back into the team (as a starter) regardless of how the team plays without them.

I really don't see what it really matters when the players call the manager tbh. I just feel like it just another excuse to use for the sacking of Bowyer.

Stuart, can I ask do you call your boss at work 'Gaffer' or 'Boss'???

I don't. I called them by the first name

very good post Gav and some good points made there.

we have seen progress this season. it was always a 2 years plan for promotion.

I think we'll know a lot more about that come Christmas time personally.

The previous season of upheaval will be behind us with a 'stable' season this season then next season would be the time to push on and build on those solid foundations.

very good point made there Tom.

Stuart, can I ask do you call your boss at work 'Gaffer' or 'Boss'???

I don't. I called them by the first name

When you were at school, did you call the teacher by their first name?

If you did then you lacked both respect and discipline.

I've said it for a long time, professional footballers, especially young ones, are just overgrown school kids and to perform the need both.

Players aren't school kids at all. they are adults NOT kids.

notice u didn't answer the question I asked tho

Er, yes I did.

They are overgrown school kids, Chaddy. Physically not but mentally yes unfortunately.

I don't expect you to understand.

but football is nothing like real jobs, I call my supervisor by his first name but then im not in the limelight, no one outside of my workplace can hear me saying this, these guys are in the media, they are on tv, its like when McLaren used to call his players, stevie g, and jt etc, there has to be a distance between a coach and his players, you cant possibly compare football to people who have real jobs

In your last post didn't you say that if we want to go up we'll need to sack him Gav?

In your last post didn't you say that if we want to go up we'll need to sack him Gav?

I've consistently said we need a more experienced manager to take us up den, I still believe that. But that shouldn't detract from the job Bowyers done this far.

You can still applaud the job a managers done whilst also holding the opinion that he can't take us up, can't you?

Agree with Gav and Parson.

Too many fans these days expect instant success, it is just not realistic for many clubs.

Also, some always wants more and can't always recognise when things are going well and struggle to keep it in perspective.

• Moderation Lead

Given the perilous state of the club's finances, and how many points we've thrown away this season, people are always going to be frustrated.

Promotion is a necessity to correct the finances, otherwise it might well be a very different incarnation of Blackburn Rovers we are watching in future....

I've consistently said we need a more experienced manager to take us up den, I still believe that. But that shouldn't detract from the job Bowyers done this far.

You can still applaud the job a managers done whilst also holding the opinion that he can't take us up, can't you?

Yes, course you can. Don't understand your position though Gav. On the one hand you laud his achievements, yet on the other, you think he should be sacked. Doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, course you can. Don't understand your position though Gav. On the one hand you laud his achievements, yet on the other, you think he should be sacked. Doesn't make sense to me.

Come on den we've had many examples of managers that have done terrific jobs but had to make way for more experience to take clubs to the next level.

It doesn't mean Bowyers doing a bad job that I want a more experienced manager.

Agree with Gav and Parson.

Too many fans these days expect instant success, it is just not realistic for many clubs.

Also, some always wants more and can't always recognise when things are going well and struggle to keep it in perspective.

Not like you to be so patronising, John. It's not about instant success, it's about time running out for promotion.

The more 'patient' we are the more likely it is that promotion (or even successive promotions) will mean a return to the Championship if we are lucky.

Blackburn Rovers FC is a slow motion plane crash, and those passengers who haven't already taken to the parachutes are waiting while for the pilot to finish reading the operating manual.

Meanwhile the frequent flyers are telling the worried ones, who have seen the mountain range out of their windows, not to panic, despite everyone being well aware of the aviation fuel leaking from the tank.

Oh, and the parachutes are running out.

Still let's keep our mid-table "success" in perspective.

Archived