BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season Tickets and Stand Closures

I was wondering when the next season ST prices will be announced, possibly when promotion is no longer mathematically possible perhaps.

The Club are in a difficult position with prices. We are already cheap/competitive when it comes to ST prices. Indeed we are so cheap the "product" may well be devalued and it is difficult for a major hike in prices to be considered. Anyhow my view is that the prices have been reduced too much over the years with little positive impact on ST sales and a big price hike may well damage sales even further. I won't bother commenting too much on the impact of the low quality of football on sales. (PS. I will be getting a ST).

I also heard last Tuesday that the Club are considering whole stand closures next season from a money saving point-of-view.

Options under consideration are to close one of the following:

1. the Riverside;

2. the home fans (ie singing section) part of the DE Lower

3. the upper and lower tiers of the Darwen End sections of the JW Stand.

Rovers cannot close the upper tier of the BBE as they have a grant to open this as the children's area.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering when the next season ST prices will be announced, possibly when promotion is no longer mathematically possible perhaps.

The Club are in a difficult position with prices. We are already cheap/competitive when it comes to ST prices. Indeed we are so cheap the "product" may well be devalued and it is difficult for a major hike in prices to be considered. Anyhow my view is that the prices have been reduced too much over the years with little impact on ST sales and a big price hike may well damage sales even further. I won't bother commenting too much on the impact of the low quality of football on sales. (PS. I will be getting a ST).

I also heard last Tuesday that the Club are considering whole stand closures next season from a money saving point-of-view.

Options under consideration are to close one of the following:

1. the Riverside;

2. the home fans (ie singing section) part of the DE Lower

3. the upper and lower tiers of the Darwen End sections of the JW Stand.

Rovers cannot close the upper tier of the BBE as they have a grant to open this as the children's area.

What kind of signal would that send out,

certainly not positive, what happens if the team does well, re open the stand mid season

Stability is a myth

I think there will be a lot of people who will simply walk away if they close the Riverside. Do the club really want to @#/? off the old guard?

Hopefully they will not be that silly.

If they are to close a stand my choices would be the 1/2 of the JW or move the DE folk into the Riverside and/or BBE.

what happens if the team does well, re open the stand mid season

Why not?

As Stuart says while stand closures seem a good idea, no matter where they close they would lose fans. The DE end of the JW would probably be best because the majority of the upper tier is used for academy complimentarys etc, although it would still cost them a few sales. Really can't win with that one.

Hopefully they will not be that silly.

If they are to close a stand my choices would be the 1/2 of the JW or move the DE folk into the Riverside and/or BBE.

Why not?

Why not knock one down and sell the land then,

the punatics have dismantled the team, the backroom staff, now they are looking at dismanteling the very fabric of Ewood,

pathetic

The need for such petty cost cutting (reducing stewarding/catering) especially in the Riverside where there are virtually zero facilities would make a mockery of any supposed stability.

Add in the mix prestonblue's previous intel/rumour about a 25% wage bill reduction and the idea that we didn't need promotion this season is shot to @#/?.

Hope you are misinformed about this, pal.

• Backroom

I've emailed the club about this and im awaiting a response... I honestly believe if we followed the "Dortmund" model of £80 season tickets for ALL age bands, we would more or less fill the home areas

We'd sell a few but I bet a load of them wouldn't turn up often

We'd sell a few but I bet a load of them wouldn't turn up often

Maybe, but if we close one stand next season it won't be long before another gets closed, broken window syndrome applies,

These lunatics are incapable of thinking outside the box,

If it goes ahead we will be witnessing the final destruction of Blackburn Rovers,

wouldn't be surprised if the big green onions are already on order

Stuart, the wage cut stuff is correct. I have never said anything about "we didn't need promotion this season....". Indeed that would be barmy.

I worded it badly. It's me that thinks we needed promotion this season. I wasn't meaning to put words in your mouth.

• Backroom

True enough I don't know the best scenario, if it wasn't for the family stand you wouldn't have been surprised to see the top tier closed.

Could be a very good idea in theory to close large sections of 1 or 2 stands it would get everbody sitting closer together which usually helps to create a good atmosphere, but closing the cheaper sections(riverside and darwen end) and expecting people to pay the higher prices to sit in the jack walker stand(for example) would be a ridiculous decision(and one I couldn't afford).

Closing parts of a ground are nothing new. Didn't Southampton do it a few years back? However, it's a huge risk given the fragile nature of the fan base at present. I totally agree with Stuart - not often I say that Stuart - but closing the Riverside would be an act of madness, or should I say another act of madness.

Closing parts of a ground are nothing new. Didn't Southampton do it a few years back? However, it's a huge risk given the fragile nature of the fan base at present. I totally agree with Stuart - not often I say that Stuart - but closing the Riverside would be an act of madness, or should I say another act of madness.

Even in the dark days of the 3rd division we never closed stands

lets be honest, does anybody REALLY think that they'd close the Riverside?

The most likely option will be the Darwen End (IIRC Derek Shaw mentioned the possibility of this recently), following by the JW Upper, Darwen End side...

Just a thought, what was the reaction when the Walker Trust closed the Darwen End?

The most likely option will be the Darwen End (IIRC Derek Shaw mentioned the possibility of this recently), following by the JW Upper, Darwen End side...

Just a thought, what was the reaction when the Walker Trust closed the Darwen End?

We had season tickets in the JW stand at the time, every one around us thought it was negative

Did anyone really think they would have Scottish lavatory assistant for a manager, make Agnew a director, pay a huge salary to a global advisor, appoint a man, who slagged off Rovers supporters to try and win them round?....

Wouldn't surprise me if they turn the Riverside stand into a giant Indian corner shop.... Anything is possible..

Now David Vincent knows that the Invaders are here, that they have taken human form. Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun....

I've emailed the club about this and im awaiting a response... I honestly believe if we followed the "Dortmund" model of £80 season tickets for ALL age bands, we would more or less fill the home areas

I dont think we would. Our season tickets are so cheap now relative to every club in the football league (I'm sure we must be in the bottom 10%) and the attendance is what it is.

A difference between us and Dortmund is that they they have 50,000 odd people on their waiting list, Rovers dont.

If they did close the Riverside, they'd save themselves about £100 per game, considering there's just about 3 stewards and 4 people who can be bothered to serve beer. Tbh they could just get rid of everyone who works in the Riverside and let us run it ourselves....would probably make more money!

Archived