BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

Songo would have to be a maybe for me but seen enough of Kane and I don't think he can make the grade consistently so it's a miss from me. Dabo having only seen him in the u21's but I don't think he'd ever get up to speed with the physical nature of the game in the champ, some good touches but far to laid back = miss.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting list of hit and misses. Personally agree with those saying Feeney and Varney need to be classed as misses - they've done nothing since being here, Also agree Kane must go down as a maybe. A logical signing given his form last season, and it's been mixed form this year - especially as some weaker performances have seen him somewhat exposed and he looks like he offers something - unlike the other two I've mentioned.

Also worth noting:

1) I've never seen so many new players in one season. Regardless of budget limitations Bowyer really has been able to get what he wants in terms of players, especially for championship level.

2) The number of misses and maybes suggest that Bowyer isn't amazing in the transfer market. However, excluding the loans of Varney and Feeney generally we see an improvement of success rate - Marshall, securing Cairney, Conway, and Gestede are all later busy. That suggests he's improving in this area. Hopefully V & F are a blip.

3) These ratings don't take into account how huge a hit some of these players have been. Conway, Gestede, Cairney for example are essentials in the team and make us tick - they bring us up a level. Some of these buys aren't just good buys they're excellent buys.

4) Generally first team players Bowyer gets it spot on. Reserves - Bowyer seems to get it less right! You could argue that's because you're looking at a poorer class of players, but it's interesting to see very few of those brought as squad players have forced their way into the first 11. Equally, very few of those he brought for the first team - apart from Judge - has flopped.

Er..no. You do state your opinion that he is the best in the Championship, as if it were a matter of scientific fact. And, frankly, I couldn't care two hoots about the England keeper. That said, I thought Robbo was cruelly scapegoated, when Neville's already risky back pass hit a divot..

In my opinion, Robbo has issues about being beaten from outside the box and getting down to shots.

It's all down to opinions LV. There would be no website if we didn't have different opinions. We have the same one on the Neville incident though. Never could stand that man.

I'd want a virtually flawless keeper in The Championship who had a £1 million salary. Unfortunately Robbo flaps at crosses, rarely catches anything and is repeatedly susceptible to low shots, his positioning is suspect as born out by how many times he's beaten at his near post and efforts from outside the box. I would argue that he's made as many mistakes as Kean and Eastwood but not quite as glaring.

He has an aura about him, has excellent reflexes for anything above waist height and his distribution is superb.

That's not enough IMO and he needs to be replaced or accept a salary commensurate with his and the clubs current standing.

The same applies to Rochina, who frustrates, great potential talent, may have something more if the right buttons were pressed but similarly if he's on £23k a week as reported, as needs must, he's got to be moved on also.

It's all about salary then is it? I don't give a rat's what he is paid. I leave that up to the owners. I just think he is as good as we are going to get in this league.

Slew scored again today... Wonder if Gaz will give him a crack next season?

He's got 4 in 19, hardly mouthwatering. Besides, I think we already have ample experience of strikers with decent-ish records from the SPL to know wether Slew could step up or not...

Wheelock's opinion on Bowyer's business from today's LT:

(18 players this season)Hit (8)

Matt Kilgallon

Tom Cairney

Tommy Spurr

Corry Evans

Ben Marshall

Rudy Gestede

Craig Conway

Michael Keane (loan)Miss (5)

Todd Kane (loan)

DJ Campbell

Alex Marrow

Yann Songo'o

Bryan Dabo (loan)Maybe (5)

Chris Taylor

Alan Judge

Simon Eastwood

Luke Varney (loan)

Liam Feeney (loan)

I would swap Feeney and Kane (still young) over and I'm not sure how Songo'o and Dabo can be written off without playing. Apart from that probably fair.

About 45% success rate with signings - no genius but equally no mug.

45% 'hit' rate is poor for me. If it where your money as a investor would you be happy to see more than half your money wasted? I also cant see how Varney, Feeney, Dabo and Judge are maybes when their combined contribution is very close to zero.

45% 'hit' rate is poor for me. If it where your money as a investor would you be happy to see more than half your money wasted? I also cant see how Varney, Feeney, Dabo and Judge are maybes when their combined contribution is very close to zero.

To be fair, it's not 45% of the value, just bodies.

I think those criticising Bowyer's "misses" are losing sight of the fact that many of them, to borrow a phrase, were "shots to nothing". In other words, that even if they didn't come off, we were paying very, very little for them anyway (in comparison to our overall wage budget).

Of the misses and maybes only DJ Campbell, Todd Kane and Simon Eastwood had a record of playing regular Championship football, with others coming in from League 1/2 or equivalent situations. Average wage in League 1 is £1,300 a week. Equally, none of the "misses" or the "maybes" cost any money in terms of transfer fees.

Bowyer had to rebuild an entire squad with next to nothing. So he had little choice but to bring in some League 1 quality players and there's no way all of them could be successful: for example, Tommy Spurr was a fantastic signing for the price, Judge did a job on occasion and Marrow was a complete flop. How much would their wages have been total? Given the average quoted above, I'd say potentially under £6,000 per week. That's absurd value for money, given what Spurr and Judge added to the squad on free transfers. You could have course call it a 33% success rate, but that would completely undermine what Bowyer has achieved.

Not to mention that every time Bowyer has committed this club to a lengthy contract of high wages or invested a transfer fee, that player has been a revelation. That's a huge signal of his ability.

I would rate like this:

HITS

Matt Kilgallon

Tom Cairney

Tommy Spurr

Corry Evans

Ben Marshall

Rudy Gestede

Craig Conway

Michael Keane

Chris Taylor

MISS

Todd Kane

DJ Campbell

Alex Marrow

Bryan Dabo

Alan Judge

Simon Eastwood

Luke Varney

Liam Feeney

Yann Songo'o (might come good though)

Just black and whiote for me, no gray areas. So is a 50% hit rate good? I think that we have bought well when looking for key players and badly when looking for players to make up the numbers. We need to be bringing the support players through our youth scheme and just buying 2 or 3 key players a year and we might start getting somewhwre. Let's see what will happen this summer as it's a big 1 for GB.

Just black and whiote for me, no gray areas. So is a 50% hit rate good? I think that we have bought well when looking for key players and badly when looking for players to make up the numbers. We need to be bringing the support players through our youth scheme and just buying 2 or 3 key players a year and we might start getting somewhwre. Let's see what will happen this summer as it's a big 1 for GB.

The good thing is that the misses mainly consist in loans, and the others apart from the gambler is on low wages.

Kane won't be returning according to today's LT.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11206160._/

Just shows how young players can flatter to deceive as I think this time last year most were happy for him to come back for another season. Right decision for me as he's mostly struggled this season and coming from a big club on loan he probably has to be guaranteed a certain number of games which is no good if he's off form.

Are we in the running for Xavi? Could be a decent signing on this level.

On a serious note. No surprise Kane won't be returning.Bardsley could be a good replacement, at least he has got experience of this league. Providing we could afford his salary...

Bardsley will get a PL contract. Brayford isn't cheap and would they even sell for us anymore? Keane is the best solution but he should get offers from PL clubs.

Bardsley would be a good signing, especially at Championship level.

Another Championship right back to look at, Francis at Bournemouth.

Pity about Kane, but he never really kicked on. I'm sure he'll get farmed out to another Championship team next season.

The good thing is that the misses mainly consist in loans, and the others apart from the gambler is on low wages.

Another thing about the loan signings of players like Varney and Feeney is they were loan signings from C'ship clubs outside the transfer window.

So logic would say they were never going to be that good anyway, as otherwise their clubs wouldn't want to let them go....unless they had an attitude problem eg Ravel Morrison.

So I don't think you can say Bowyer got his judgement wrong in determining a good player with those two.....he just felt he needed extra bodies in and they were probably the best we could have done.

Archived