BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

• Backroom

Much like Seve's spirit lifted the European determination, so will Palmer's lift the Yanks this time.

It'll be yet another amazing contest. It's the best competition in all of sport imo.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

So Ryder cup tee off today at 1.35. I would personally consider football (less so these days) and cricket as better than golf but I rank the Ryder cup as probably my favourite sporting event. And for all I wouldn't tune in to a random Scandinavian tour I wouldn't miss this. In fact was due to go Bham not any more.

Just to spice things up Danny Willett's brother called "US golf fans fat stupid classless @#/?s. Who are a baying mob of imbeciles, angry unwashed, etc etc." The Americans are naturally livid at this but the irony is to prove Danny Willett's brother wrong I'm sure they will act like fat stupid classless baying mob of imbeciles.

Willett may have apologised but it is absolutely true hence the "Ryder Cup Bounce" where an American ball in a bad lie or out of bounds suddenly appears back on the fairway via an American foot.

Edited by Al
  • Like 1

Europe chucked it away at the end of day 2 somewhat.

Must say Darren Clarke's cocked up a number of his selections for me. Played his mate Lee Westwood again after he got thrashed on Friday and should have been left out, found a pairing made in heaven in Garcia and Cabrera Bello and unbelievably broke it up to pair Garcia with out of form Kaymer, ignored Chris Wood after he played particularly well in yesterday's foursomes, keeps playing Justin Rose who can't get the speed of the greens, and played Fitzpatrick who looked a bit overawed in the foursomes instead of fourballs and has now left him without much golf.

The only thing that has worked for him is constantly playing another rookie Thomas Peters despite his opening morning thumping when he was let down by Westwood in the foursomes. The Belgian player has been outstanding.

• Like 2

Have to reiterate my comments about Darren Clarke really in the light of the way the singles went. The Americans putted far better than us generally and Justin Rose in particular will probably never putt as badly as that again. All that said I'd give Clarke 2/3 out of 10 for his selections.

On the plus side it was as always a fantastic spectacle, arguably the best in the sporting world. The matches between Reed/Rory and Phil Mick/Sergio were the two best I've ever seen.

I was at the Belfry in 1984 when Seve came back from 3 down to tie with a bang in form Tom Kite but this surpassed that. Mickelson chucked 10 birdies at Sergio and only got a half!

Roll on 2 years time.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Totally agree re comments on Clarke I was saying much similar myself. He got a lot of calls wrong and showed too much loyalty to his mates in the old guard like Westwood who ultimately let him down.

I think he may have even surpassed Faldos terrible effort at Valhalla, but unlike Faldo, he could at least pronounce his players names.

We lost this because of poor selection by the captain but more because the Americans putted superbly. It was the best sustained exhibition of putting by the whole American team that I have ever seen. Europe on the other hand generally putted abysmally. That is where the cup was won and lost.

• Like 2

We lost this because of poor selection by the captain but more because the Americans putted superbly. It was the best sustained exhibition of putting by the whole American team that I have ever seen. Europe on the other hand generally putted abysmally. That is where the cup was won and lost.

It almost always is Al.

Speaking of which, if Garcia putted like he did yesterday in majors he'd have about 12 of them in his back pocket by now!

• Like 1

Not that into golf but was quite pleased America won. The Ryder Cup seems to be used as a good excuse for America-bashing that the liberally minded in this country are always so fond of. That idiot brother set the ball rolling tweeting abuse about the American fans, for which he was totally unrepentant even after the media storm it created. Wasn't surprised to hear he's a teacher, big lefty stronghold. And the general tone on 5 Live was quite patronising and snide about America's chances and recent record, but then it is a BBC station. I thought their fans were brilliant, maybe breaking with golf tradition by being very raucous but the passion was superb and they were still 10 times better behaved than football fans are in this country.

Willett's idiot brother wasn't necessarily wrong, but how he thought what he did would help his brother and/or the Europe team is beyond me. Didn't care for seeing Danny laughing at the end of his singles match - he had just been caned and contrived to miss several short putts. I wouldn't have been laughing in that situation.

Some of the idiotic things the USA fans shouted just as a Europe player was taking a shot, though?? "Cheeseburger" "mashed potatoes".....wtf is that all about? So while I agree that about 85-90% of them were brilliant, there were a significant number of drunken idiots on display as well.

The best team won though, of that there can be no argument.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone's comments on this year's Ryder Cup.

The Americans were stronger and it showed yesterday. Excellent putting.

Willett's brother caused all sorts of problems. From riling up the fans, to forcing Clarke to drop Willett who in turn lost his form. A bit silly, but I don't think he knew how severe the reaction would be.

McIlroy was emotionally spent in his singles match yet he almost clawed back a half.

Clarke should get another go at it. He is nowhere near as bad as Faldo. Westwood will be long gone next time. I hope Garcia waits around for another one. He can't win a major but cleans up in Ryder Cup events.

Edited by speeeeeeedie

• Moderation Lead

Not that into golf but was quite pleased America won. The Ryder Cup seems to be used as a good excuse for America-bashing that the liberally minded in this country are always so fond of. That idiot brother set the ball rolling tweeting abuse about the American fans, for which he was totally unrepentant even after the media storm it created. Wasn't surprised to hear he's a teacher, big lefty stronghold. And the general tone on 5 Live was quite patronising and snide about America's chances and recent record, but then it is a BBC station. I thought their fans were brilliant, maybe breaking with golf tradition by being very raucous but the passion was superb and they were still 10 times better behaved than football fans are in this country.

Back with a bang, eh?

The idiot brother made a gravely exaggerated point re American Golf fans at the Ryder Cup. I'd guess that it's because of the etiquette in Golf, where boisterous behavior from supporters, to say the least isn't normal. I think Al had it nailed with his analysis- the USA's putting was unreal, but Clarke IMO didn't pick his strongest side and it was a huge hindrance in the end. The European team have some incredibly talented golfers and they just have to dust themselves down and go again in 2018.

Edited by K-Hod

I agree with everyone's comments on this year's Ryder Cup.

The Americans were stronger and it showed yesterday. Excellent putting.

Willett's brother caused all sorts of problems. From riling up the fans, to forcing Clarke to drop Willett who in turn lost his form. A bit silly, but I don't think he knew how severe the reaction would be.

McIlroy was emotionally spent in his singles match yet he almost clawed back a half.

Clarke should get another go at it. He is nowhere near as bad as Faldo. Westwood will be long gone next time. I hope Garcia waits around for another one. He can't win a major but cleans up in Ryder Cup events.

Not while he's saying he wouldn't have changed anything he shouldn't, I'm afraid.

He was unrepentant because he was absolutely right. The American golf crowds are a baying rabble. Their team is not treated like that in Europe who's golf followers are much more appreciative and fair minded. USA deserved their victory but I can't believe that British citizen wanted his team to lose.

He was unrepentant because he was absolutely right. The American golf crowds are a baying rabble. Their team is not treated like that in Europe who's golf followers are much more appreciative and fair minded. USA deserved their victory but I can't believe that British citizen wanted his team to lose.

"Willett starts innocuously enough, saying that American fans are "brainless." But from there, he says they're "pudgy, basement-dwelling irritants, stuffed on cookie dough and pissy beer, pausing between mouthfuls of hotdog so they can scream 'Baba booey' until their jelly faces turn red."

It goes on from there, with ample veiled references to Donald Trump and American gluttony."

I made one comment in the cricket thread that was 0.00001% as critical as the above about Pakistan's fans and provoked the ire of the P.C. gang on here. Can you imagine if I was say Joe Root's brother and I'd tweeted something on the same level as Willet's comments prior to the match? I'd have recieved death threats from Muslims and left-wingers alike, Twitter would have closed my account, the PM would have probably been obliged to make a statement on how this intolerance does not represent British culture and I'd have been charged with inciting racial hatred.

You can say a lot about the drivers of political correctness in this country over the past 20 years. You could say it was hugely necessary and has massively reduced racism and intolerance. You could say it's eroded free speech and created a victim culture. Either way it's here and personally I can live with it. But what gets my goat is the massive, massive hypocrisy. Do it to one group and it's apparently funny/true, do it to another and you're a xenophobic bigot.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Very disappointed in Mickelson and i hope he has the courage to admit wrongdoing and apologise.

Far from it. At the time I assumed it was frustration in the heat of the moment but nope he knew there was a 2 shot penalty and made a calculated decision that where the ball was heading it would cost him more than 2 shots. “Took advantage of the rules as best I could”. 

https://www.foxsports.com/golf/usga/video/1257451075972?amp=true

• Backroom
1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Far from it. At the time I assumed it was frustration in the heat of the moment but nope he knew there was a 2 shot penalty and made a calculated decision that where the ball was heading it would cost him more than 2 shots. “Took advantage of the rules as best I could”. 

https://www.foxsports.com/golf/usga/video/1257451075972?amp=true

Hmmm, that does make sense. But it feels much more like cheating than taking advantage of the rules. I thought the moving ball rule applied to a ball in play, not a ball being dropped.

As you say though, the rules (as far as I'm aware) have been fully applied so it's hard for me to objectively argue.

I’d lean towards cheating but if he’s acted within the rules it’s most definitely against the spirit/etiquette and as such leaves his reputation in tatters even if the rules cover him. 

Hits a putt that’s heading off the green, decides it’ll take him more than 2 shots to get back so hares after it to whack it back and suck up the punishment because it was preferable to ending up where he started.

• Like 1