BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

I must admit I’ve not been enjoying sky’s coverage of the open and specifically the 3 day Tiger Woods love in. It’s one thing to show every single shot he makes but showing live footage of him warming up and leaving the course is pretty disrespectful to those better than him actually playing. Mcilroy had a pretty tough looking bunker shot never saw that because tiger woods was going to sign his card.

No doubt more of the same today. Tricky putt, etc, for cuz but let’s cut live to tiger scratching his nose. 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2018 at 10:51, matt83 said:

I must admit I’ve not been enjoying sky’s coverage of the open and specifically the 3 day Tiger Woods love in. It’s one thing to show every single shot he makes but showing live footage of him warming up and leaving the course is pretty disrespectful to those better than him actually playing. Mcilroy had a pretty tough looking bunker shot never saw that because tiger woods was going to sign his card.

No doubt more of the same today. Tricky putt, etc, for cuz but let’s cut live to tiger scratching his nose. 

I didn't mind the Woods coverage tbh, not won a major in 10yrs, arguably the best golfer that's ever lived, he's always going to be the focus.

What did annoy me was the bleedin Aussie? commentator who kept butting in with cr@p jokes and Ill timed snippets, infuriating and just awful.

Ended up watching the BBC highlights last night instead of sky.

It reminded me of Flintoffs awful T20 commentary, it was like a teenage PE changing room whilst he was on, awful stuff and hopefully never to commentate again. 

The Beeb just do most sport better for me.

Edited by Gav

I think the Australian is Wayne Riley.

I found the whole sky commentary team poor. No one likes the grammar police and I’m certainty not perfect but their use of English was terrible all tournament. It’s perhaps nit picking but I lost count of the amount of times the leader was on say -6 and someone else would go to -5 and they would say “he’s now within one shot of the lead.” That’s not within one shot at all, it’s exactly one shot off the lead. This is also creeping into football commentary as well. 2-1 they’ve pulled it back to within one goal. 

That was just the tip of the iceberg. Also, when Tom Morris won the Open “there were less people to beat.” I know they meant fewer people and ordinarily these things really don’t bother me but when broadcasting is their profession I do expect better.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

One of my favourite sporting events begins tomorrow; the Ryder Cup. This year it's in Paris.

The USA team looks to be stronger than the European one this time out but it will be close.

Form often goes out of the window in the Ryder Cup, it's often pressure and momentum that decides the outcome. Great competition though, would be great to see more of this kind of team format in the game.

Have to say the course is superb. Loads of variety of types of holes, greens, lakes etc. You get proper punishment for missing a fairway. Makes such a change from the beautiful wide fairways of the US.

I think the lead is too big for the US to overcome, but the last day of the Ryder Cup has seen bigger shocks in the past.

The Americans must have been on the putting greens all night.

Even miserable Woods is sinking some.

It's all feeling a bit Stoke v Rovers at the moment. . . heading into the last 10 minutes. Will The USA miss the penalty? Can Europe hold out?

Edited by Husky

• Backroom

I can't describe how much more than any other competition I enjoy the Ryder Cup.

FULL of terrific sporting stories every time. Sergio has surely elevated himself into 'GOAT' status now alongside the likes of Jack, Arnie, Seve, Tiger?

Edited by Mike E

Yet another fantastic Ryder Cup.

Europe were far better than the USA. I thought that it would be much closer. 2 years ago the Americans couldn't miss a putt. This time out they couldn't hit a fairway.

Lots of hand wringing over here on why the USA lost. From a lack of understanding of the course, no team chemistry, tiredness, to iffy partnerships, the USA is going back to the drawing board again.

Furyk seems like a decent bloke, but he missed on his captain's picks. Woods, Mickelson, and DeChambeau combined for 0 points. Although Woods won last weekend, he looked spent. He already had a miserable Ryder Cup record, this should be the end to his participation.

Europe too will have to reevaluate. Poulter and Garcia may be too old next time. Those 2 have under performed in tour events over the years but come alive come cup time. They will be missed.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Backroom

Some terrific golf been played in the Masters. He’s not for everybody after his controversy, but if Tiger Woods completes his comeback to the top today, I think it ranks up there as one of sport’s great stories.

G’wan Tiger!

Loved watching Tiger yesterday. Played like a machine & that moment with his kids after the 18th was a great watch.

He's obviously been a tool in his past personal life but so have a lot of footballers we've loved over the years.

Take in to account the extent of his injuries, the position he was at and the graft he's put in to make yesterday happen, it's nothing short of incredible.

• Like 4

• Backroom
59 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Loved watching Tiger yesterday. Played like a machine & that moment with his kids after the 18th was a great watch.

He's obviously been a tool in his past personal life but so have a lot of footballers we've loved over the years.

Take in to account the extent of his injuries, the position he was at and the graft he's put in to make yesterday happen, it's nothing short of incredible.

When he was struggling a year or so ago, I said to a pal why doesn't he just give it up. He's got bags of money, doesn't need to prove anything, and it was embarrassing watching him hack the ball around the course.

I confidently stated he would never win a single tournament, let alone a major.

Well, he sure has rammed those words down my throat. And hats off to him for that. 

To have the hunger at his age to produce that masterclass, quite remarkable really.

And although I don't particularly like the guy, you're right that moment at the end with his Mum and kids was very touching. 

They've seen him toil and suffer for a decade now (a lot self inflicted), so to see it all pay off and the redemption arc completed was a great thing.

Well done Tiger!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Silas said:

Well, he sure has rammed those words down my throat. 

Have you seen Tiger's interviews today? Says he was inspired by a BRFC messageboard member and was determined to prove him wrong. 

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t routing for anyone to win other than him. But I do have a begrudging respect after 4 knee ops, 3 back ops and spinal fusion. Still dislike the bugger.

Once again I thought the coverage was horrendous. Basically a homily to woods before he hit a ball. Then a few times cut away from other golfers shots to watch him basically walk between green and tee. 

I’m not over it, I put money on Finau at 50/1 and Molinari at 22/1 too win on Friday. Thought I had a big chance going in too the last day of winning some dollar, I knew Tiger would do me over. Amazing too see him win another one though, form is temporary class is permenant. Greatest of all time him and Nicklaus. ? ? 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Any golfing BRFCSers fancy a round? I'd be interested to meet some of you over a round and a pint (even if we disagree a lot on here). I'm free every Friday and every other wknd, so reasonably easy to get hold of for some holes.

Handicap of 16, mostly play to about 90. Live in Darwen, will drive to any club in Lancs happily. PM me, or just reply on here, and let's see if we can get some rounds in.

Nowt better than the Sport of Kings!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Backroom

How are resident golfers coping with the lockdown?

In the absence of the Masters, I've been watching highlights from my favourite golf the last few days. Namely:

Masters 2005, Ryder Cup 2012, Masters 1980, Masters 2019

Mike, we're playing two balls.

Stricked conditions, no touching the pin, no rakes in bunkers, always stand 2 meters away from your partner, no warm ups, arrive 10 mins before tee off and leave upon completion.

This should happen all the time. I've been getting round in under three hours, which is magic on the course I usually play.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, dave birch said:

Mike, we're playing two balls.

Stricked conditions, no touching the pin, no rakes in bunkers, always stand 2 meters away from your partner, no warm ups, arrive 10 mins before tee off and leave upon completion.

This should happen all the time. I've been getting round in under three hours, which is magic on the course I usually play.

Wish we were the same, unfortunately golf is completely locked down too.

Not that I've ever been within 2 metres of another player thanks to my wicked slice.