BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

• 2 months later...

Brilliant from the Europe team - I'm thoroughly enjoying this

The Americans think they're the best at golf and, having attended 2 Ryder Cups including the famous 1989 win at the Belfry, I know how much this means to them. Some of their supporters are grade 1 idiots. 

Get in the hole, Europe, and give them a spanking

• Like 1

• Backroom

The Solheim and Ryder Cups (and both accompanying Junior iterations) won by Europe, all in a two week span!

European golf is flying! And Viktor Hovland is rapidly becoming my favourite golfer, so aggressive and adventurous, yet entirely humble and funny off course.

On 30/09/2023 at 06:10, jim mk2 said:

Brilliant from the Europe team - I'm thoroughly enjoying this

The Americans think they're the best at golf and, having attended 2 Ryder Cups including the famous 1989 win at the Belfry, I know how much this means to them. Some of their supporters are grade 1 idiots. 

Get in the hole, Europe, and give them a spanking

I feared the worst after kicking Europe got in Wisconsin 2 years ago but I was gladly proven wrong. There was some excellent golf played, and although it got a bit nervy toward the end Europe came through. 

The LIV experiment helped Europe. It forced a changing of the guard in both players and captains which refreshed the team. 

Cantlay himself played very well but his caddy's actions were stupid and he (the caddy) deserved all the grief he got.

2025 is in New York, expect a hostile crowd and a talented American team.

20 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'm not big on golf, so what happened with one of the caddies? 

The yanks have a player called Patrick Cantlay whose caddy during the Ryder cup was Joe lacava. A story broke that Cantlay believed the players should be paid to participate in the Ryder Cup and to effectively represent their country which allegedly caused a rift within the American team. Due to his frustration at not being paid the story goes he refused to wear a team cap during the Saturday foursomes and also refused to attend the gala dinner earlier in the week along with his friend Xander Schauffele.

So every time cantlay went past the crowd, the fans were waving their caps at him chanting stuff like “Europe’s on fire, Patrick cantlay wants his fiver. Europe’s on fire, Patrick cantlay wants his fiver. Na na na na na.” Bit of old fashioned British terrace humour. 

On the final hole of the fourballs cantlay sunk a good putt which meant mcilroy would have to sink another big putt to avoid defeat. After cantlays putt lacava and the rest of the usa team were waving their hats which was a quite amusing retort. Mcilroy politely asked lacava to move aside from his line of vision whilst he’s still kept waving his hat going ott. He stood there and didn’t move for a good while and continued to wave the hat chirping away at anyone who’d listen like some mid afternoon drunk. 

This pissed mcilroy off and it continued onto the car park. 

In the aftermath another amusing little ditty was sung to lacava on the first tee to the tune of cranberries-zombie. He’s in your head, he’s in your head. He’s in your head, he’s in your head. Rooory, Rooory, Rooory, ry, ry. That also tickled me.

If my grandad was still alive. He’d be appalled at what the Ryder Cup has become. But I love it

Edited by matt83
  • Like 3

On 03/10/2023 at 22:44, Upside Down said:

The Ryder Cup is everything to the yanks.

Golf is the only sport they're good at that is played by anyone else in the world.

Nice to see they've been thrashed again.

To be fair they’ve produced plenty of good athletes, boxers and tennis players over the years.

On 11/10/2023 at 01:00, Upside Down said:

No team sports though.

They just created their own shit versions of games that already existed elsewhere.

You've given me a nice new discussion point for my American friends, and not anything I've really thought about before. 

The USA has an inordinate amount of athletic talent and facilities to match. A lot of the rest of the world's best use America as their base. At least half of the European Ryder Cup team live in America. 

They have done much better at women's team sports; football, volleyball, gymnastics (they do have a team event) to name a few, primarily down to universities having to fund women's sport programs to the same level as they do American football.

They are still top dogs at basketball, now a global sport. But they are being caught up. The current best player in the NBA is Serbian, a Greek is not far behind, and a French lad is being tipped as the next superstar.

Edit; I've been saying this for years but if they manage to seriously crack into Latino and urban black kids they'll win a World Cup. However, it's not looking likely any time soon. Football in the USA still values speed and athleticism over football brains, all coached by substandard people.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

You've given me a nice new discussion point for my American friends, and not anything I've really thought about before. 

The USA has an inordinate amount of athletic talent and facilities to match. A lot of the rest of the world's best use America as their base. At least half of the European Ryder Cup team live in America. 

They have done much better at women's team sports; football, volleyball, gymnastics (they do have a team event) to name a few, primarily down to universities having to fund women's sport programs to the same level as they do American football.

They are still top dogs at basketball, now a global sport. But they are being caught up. The current best player in the NBA is Serbian, a Greek is not far behind, and a French lad is being tipped as the next superstar.

Edit; I've been saying this for years but if they manage to seriously crack into Latino and urban black kids they'll win a World Cup. However, it's not looking likely any time soon. Football in the USA still values speed and athleticism over football brains, all coached by substandard people.

Rounders > Baseball

Netball > Basketball

League > American Football

All inferior versions of pre existing games.

• 1 month later...