BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

I'm up for it Al. I could also ask at Accy where I'm a member what their deals are??

Accy is a much better course but up to now there are only 3 of us. We need to have more than that before we can approach our clubs. Let's keep in touch on this.

ABBEY's a big fan of the game I believe...

What are we looking at as a minimum number?

Not sure. I would have thought 12 but maybe we could get away with 8. Not sure how many the club kitchens would be looking for.

• Moderation Lead

I am keen to get back into golf, but I'm not really ready to go for a full 18 holes job just yet! I'd be happy to get involved with future events though!

ABBEY's a big fan of the game I believe...

What are we looking at as a minimum number?

used to enjoy playing but the back,knees and wrist mean im under dr's orders not to play anymore as one bad twist would result in wrist needing to be fused.

Edited by ABBEY

Playing in an open 3 man team event at Darwen this Saturday.

Weather forecast is for wind (what joy) and a bit of rain as well as it being a hell of a hike, so it could be more of a war of attrition than an enjoyable test. I'll let you know how we get on after the event.

Mate of mine took a guest on Accy with him on Tuesday. The guest is no great shakes, generally late 90s in score but he can't half hit a ball, anyway he drove the green on the 15th and the 3rd. Both shots over 350 yards!!

• Like 1

• Backroom

Mate of mine took a guest on Accy with him on Tuesday. The guest is no great shakes, generally late 90s in score but he can't half hit a ball, anyway he drove the green on the 15th and the 3rd. Both shots over 350 yards!!

Tell him he's not invited ;)

• Like 2

used to enjoy playing but the back,knees and wrist mean im under dr's orders not to play anymore as one bad twist would result in wrist needing to be fused.

Golf is too tough for you abbey ????

Wow! I'd never have guessed that you were a little "limp wristed"!

• Moderation Lead

Going to get to the driving range and work on my lapsed abilities this Saturday I think! Then get some golf lessons, and look at doing 18 holes for the first time in a long time!

• Like 1

Just got back now. Was 3 over after 7 and already thinking I'd won it, anyway, managed to then go triple, double, double and my chance had gone!!!

44 for the front 9 , 52 back 9 so with handicap limited to 18 ( I'm off 20) ended with a net 78 which wasn't too bad really.

Really enjoyed it and, to be honest, it didn't feel like too much of a trek from when I last played there. If there is a criticism of the course it's that the back 9 is far harder than the front 9, some of the stroke indexes are miles out. I birdied the 4th hardest hole without doing anything special and triple bogeyed the 12th hardest on the back 9 and felt like I did nothing wrong!!

Very enjoyable all the same. Playing an open 4 ball on Saturday at my own course Accy next week. 25 quid per pair should anyone fancy it.

• 8 months later...

Danny Willett has become only the 2nd Englishman to win the Masters.

It was a cracking last round. Jordan Spieth was 5 shots up after 4 straight birdies with only the back 9 to play.

He bogeyed the 10th and 11th then he quadruple bogeyed the 12 after hitting the water twice. All this as Willett birdied 2 in a row. Great golf.

I think that Spieth will take some time to get over this one.

Incredible I didn't know that. Knew Faldo was last one when Norman had his own melt down but assumed over years someone like tony jacklin or even earlier would have picked one up along the way.

Must admit I was very much routing for Westwood as wouldn't begrudge him a major but failing that any Englishman will do.

The masters is the only American major well tournament I can watch as for some reason they have managed to all but cut out those ludicrous "in the hole" "you da man" and general whooping which is rife everywhere else whether it's a putt, chip, drive on a par 5...

• Backroom

In the top 10 positions (not including 'tied for 10th'), we had 5 English men!

Danny Willett

Lee Westwood

Paul Casey

Matt Fitzpatrick

Justin Rose

Nearly picked a couple of those for either way bets, bloody annoyed I didn't!

Incredible I didn't know that. Knew Faldo was last one when Norman had his own melt down but assumed over years someone like tony jacklin or even earlier would have picked one up along the way.

Must admit I was very much routing for Westwood as wouldn't begrudge him a major but failing that any Englishman will do.

The masters is the only American major well tournament I can watch as for some reason they have managed to all but cut out those ludicrous "in the hole" "you da man" and general whooping which is rife everywhere else whether it's a putt, chip, drive on a par 5...

Yep it's infuriating. The Americans seem to think it's clever.

I was surprised too. Only Faldo had done it previously, and he won it 3 times.

If Westwood's short game and putting was 10% better he'd have about 5 majors. His grey hair makes him look like Darren Clarke.

The crowd noises are daft but that's what American golf crowds do. It's all part of them trying to get a laugh; just like the comments people make at football matches. However, I'd say that on the whole Americans aren't as imaginative.

US TV coverage was up to its usual tricks. It prides itself on annoying the viewer with pointless "human interest" stories about the perceived winner. They'd been salivating over Spieth since Thursday. I'm sure they had story after story lined up. However, when Willett won it was a quick nod to his newborn son then it was off the air. I missed the green jacket ceremony. If Spieth had won they would have kept it going for another 20 minutes.

It was an amazing last 9 holes and Speith's overall poor play caught up with him eventually - his miraculous putting was the only reason he was anywhere near the first page of the leaderboard, let alone several shots clear.

From the TV coverage two things are crystal clear - Hazel Irvine is a brilliant anchor for the BBC, and Colin Montgomerie should be nowhere near a microphone or a camera over on Sky.