BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2013-14 Season Review

Hey.

It's not all over yet, if we could just win 1 of our zero remaining games we could still get in the play-offs.

But joking aside, how about everyone gives a short review of our season........

What you hoped, expected of the season at the start and how it turned out. Ultimately are you satisfied with where we finished, did we overachieve, underachieve? How about the tactics, signings, player performances (feel free to give a grade out of ten for that) etc.???

What can we or need to do to improve next season (assuming you think we can)? What do you reckon?

I'll post mine a little later............as me so hungry.

• Backroom

I feel we've done well but ultimately failed at the real goal but not by much which is an achievement in itself although somehow we never looked like true contenders for the playoffs I feel if we had another couple of weeks we would be there.

Signings

On the whole the activity in the transfer market has been very good with some truly brilliant signings in Cairney, Conway and the magnificent Rudy. Some decent lower level acquisitions and some real stinkers but they have been pretty low risk

Tactics

Often spot on but often lacking - the one real area the manager needs improvement

Players performances

Rhodes for all his faults has bagged a brilliant 25 goals

Rudy has come in and scored a great amount

Best looked ok but attitude / wages troublesome

DJ was poor

Varney hasn't don't anything apart from be a willing runner

Rochina - touches of brilliance but few and far between

Dunn a few glimpses of days gone by but again they are quite infrequent now

Conway has a ridiculous amount of assists in a few seasons

Cairney has been brilliant and looks even better as we thought he would centrally

Evans looks very assured but injury prone

Taylor works hard

Judge tricky but didn't produce much

Marrow looked out of his depth

King is unplayable on his day but frustrating

Lowe and Williamson have done ok but shouldn't ever play together

Kane and Henley have been a weak point at right back

Keane looks good centrally but often loses his man on the right

Hanley solid but always looks like conceding a penalty

Killgallon looks a decent player at this level

Spurr has proved a very good acquisition for this league

Robbo some good performances but still can't get down to low shots

Kean and Eastwood were truly woeful

I feel we need a new right back, a new keeper and a 3rd striker. Don't sign Varney, Kane and Feeney and try and get Keane for another year as backup. Bring back and look at the loanees and see if Songo'o is up to it and try to sell some of the deadweight. I'd also offer Olsson one more year.

The manager is showing signs of improving on his weaknesses and fully deserves another go at it next season. Frustrating it may feel I do think there is solid progress

A review of the season in the style of Eric Cantona - Glimmers of Sunlight showing through the clouds after a very long storm and some birds could be heard tweeting , still too many shadows being cast on the hills and way into the distance for it to become a bright summers day

• Backroom

At the start of the season the majority of posters would have snapped the hand off somebody offering us a finish between 7th - 10th. The fact so many are lamenting our final position is a testament to the job Bowyer has done this season and the excellent nature of the signings he's made.

Unfortunately we weren't consistent enough to get there in the end. It was a season of almost constant transition, littered with unfortunate injuries and silly individual mistakes. Gary made some mistakes tactically as well, but considering it was his first full season as a manager this has to be forgiven despite the frustration it's generated.

The end of the season has been strong and gives a lot of hope for next season. The problem is we have no idea how the summer will pan out. Financially we're in dire straits and a lot depends on whether Venky's decide to fund our losses or cut us adrift. If we keep this squad together and add a right back/winger to the team in the summer we'll be looking very solid for next season. If we sell our best players and once again ask Bowyer to rebuild with frees and loans we'll either end up in the same position as this season or most likely worse.

So much depends on Venky's and they are a total wildcard in the equation. In terms of this season we finished in a slightly better position than I expected, but I can't feel optimistic knowing the future of the club is in the hands of the same people who have ripped the club apart over the past few years. I don't trust them to make the right decision on anything and I'll never feel comfortable as long as they own the club. I'm worried about how the summer will pan out and it won't be until September 1st that we'll really be able to assess how we're going to fare next season.

I congratulate Bowyer on the overall job he's done but fear he's swimming against an impossible financial tide and that it is a matter of time before the house of cards comes crashing down.

I guess your opinion on our season largely depends on what your expectations at the start were. I found a lot of fans were pretty damned negative from the start and so probably see a top 10 finish as being pretty good. However I'm not really one of them.

I started off this season thinking we could at least get 6th place, so finishing 8th for me has ultimately been a disappointment. From what I saw of the league, not only the home games I attended, but seeing a few on 'TV' (including several not involving Rovers) I didn't really see any stand out teams and certainly nothing to be scared of. Kind of feels like we've missed a big opportunity to go up (even taking into account all the fall-out from previous years).

Definitely a season that looks better on paper than it actually was. Missing out on the play-offs by 2 points looks unlucky - but if we're brutally honest we never ever looked in with a realistically comfortable shout (we were never in the top 6) and always seemed to bottle it when results kept constantly going our way. It was more of a testament to how inconsistently bad (or is that consistently bad? :blush: ) other teams were in the league that a mathematical chance of making the play-offs still remained on the final day. Though in many cases mathematics are severely overrated; I'm sure I still have a mathematical chance of dating Jessica Alba. :closedeyes:

As for the tactics and the football. To be honest the majority of home games were pretty dross, even the ones we won. Just to pick out a couple of those; grimly hanging on against an awful Doncaster team and not all that convincingly beating an appalling Blackpool (the worst team I saw all season) didn't exactly inspire confidence - one of the main reasons our goal difference remained so bad. The footballing travesty that was Bournemouth at home I shall from this moment on erase from my mind and never ever mention again.

Tactics wise, well we all know it (mostly) - there was FAR too much negativity at home against average and worse opposition. Playing 2 defensive midfielders time and time again, FFS, how irritating was that? It was pretty obvious that it wasn't working out. I think that's were we lost our play-off chance - as others have said you can always have if this and if that in this game or another, but this prolonged tactical suicide wasn't just for the odd game or two and i'm convinced a change would have yielded the extra points that would have seen us sitting in at least 6th now and getting very nervous and excited about the play-offs. However some of the away tactics and performances (whether half forced or not) seemed pretty good at times; winning at Leeds and Reading for example and drawing at QPR (a game we deserved to win). Also the run in to the end of the season (Yeovil aside) was promising - you could certainly argue that we drew a couple too many and threw away points - but a 12 games unbeaten run is nothing to be sniffed at and certainly uncharted territory for us in recent times.

The signings were overall pretty damned decent - of course the stand out 3 being Conway, Gestede and Cairney. Though mixed in there has been some lower mid-table type dross brought in such as Varney and Feeney and standing out like a ZX Spectrum 48k (with rubber keys) amongst the Playstation 4's the damned right Dabozarre!!!

As for what might happen well I could write paragraphs; with loonies in charge anything could happen. Will we sell anyone? Will our loanees end up back here? Will we get any cash for additions to the squad? Will there we a massive earthquake in Pune? These are impossible to answer.

But what we need to do is sort our defence out - we've been pretty bad all season and not just these last few games where we've been more attcking - even with 2 defensive midfielders we were all over the place at times. We need to sort out the right back position for sure........then we need a new centre back if we can't get another Keano loan. Ideally we should look at our defensive coach - what the hell is he doing all day?

Our goalkeeper position is also more than a bit dodgy - Robbo is a big fans favourite and that's probably why he's got away with more than the other 2 clowns - but he's made a lot of mistakes too - consistently going down like a sack of spuds and getting beaten by low shots - and finally now the season is over and the pain has subsided I can say that he basically lost us the game against Burnley. He's on high wages too - so time to get rid? I don't know - again it's all about the alternatives.

Also we need to get a creative player, we're short in that department - I assume that Rochina will be on his way, he seems to be doing pretty well in La Liga - where he's helped a relegation threatened side into 9th place - so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to sign him - plus I think he'd prefer a bit of sun and outdoors culture to the grim reality of life on the bench in a wet northern English town - who wouldn't? Anyway, back to the point - Our first eleven seems good enough, but it was strikingly obvious looking at our bench today with the aforementioned dross of Feeney and Varney as our go to attacking options that we need to bolster that area - with a new player or perhaps a rejuvenated and bad attitude free Best? (unlikely)

Overall I tried to remain positive through the season and did way better than most (seems like a lot of fans gave up after staring at the Burnley fans for 90minutes) - I finally cracked with several games to go - and Keanesque comments about fans from Bowyer and reports that we settled for a point against the team rock bottom of the league at home adding to his uninspiring demeanour certainly didn't help.

I'm still unconvinced about Bowyer, he's a great scout and probably a decent coach, though as a manager he doesn't inspire me with confidence; it took and age to see that the defensive pairing wasn't working (and even that was at least partly enforced) I also doubt he has the type of personality to sort players out that need it (Best etc.). I also expect the league will be a bit stronger next season..........so yeah, are things really going to get better?

However I guess he deserves another chance especially considering the replacement could take us right back to last season. All ifs and buts as usual.....we just don't know.

Here's to 2014-15! The Push for 7th place Promotion.

I got what I expected division 2 footy next season .

If bowyer attacked teams it would be different .. Attack this league and it's instant promotion . I'd take 4-3 wins every week. .

Bowyer grows balls= promotion

Bowyer stays same = no promotion

I'm with Abbey here, we have the players to attack teams, I really hope Bowyer goes at it from day 1 next season as there is nothing to fear in this league, the teams coming down don't strike me as instant promotion favourites either.

Tom M and Husky I am pretty much with you on your analysis although I had to admit I never really thought this was a season for promotion just given the sheer scale of madness that needed sorting at the club. Bowyer has to be given credit for giving us some dignity back and at least some other stupid foreign owners such as Tan at Cardiff have stolen the ridiculous idiot owner title from us this season. He too got what he deserved in sacking a solid bloke in Malky Mackay.

The challenge now is to start next season the way we finished this. Other teams will be wary now and that could prove more difficult than imagined. I think the message to Bowyer has to be that we cannot afford to sit on our laurels, The team needs further improvement through the spine. Bowyer has made some very good signings at this level and if the nucleus of the team can be added to with eqaul qaulity this summer then we have to have a chance next season.

I totally agree that it was almost forced on Bowyer to play the best formation at the end of the season. It was obvious to many that the Lowe/ Williamson partnership does not work but he persisted with them for far too long until injury and results dictated he change it.

The goals against tally for this year is a worrying statistic and we seemed prone to a sucker punch all season. I do not also recall us wiinning a game unless we went in front first and then it was always a nervy affair to hold on. This defending too deep and inabality to retain ball possession under pressure are two key areas for Bowyer to deal with for next season

All in all some signs of progress but still to my mind along way from making up a 23 point gap to get to the required standard for automatic promotion.

I'm with Abbey here, we have the players to attack teams, I really hope Bowyer goes at it from day 1 next season as there is nothing to fear in this league, the teams coming down don't strike me as instant promotion favourites either.

Were your ancestors at Balaclava? Scoring hasn't been too big of a problem of late. Conceding has. All good managers know the value of building from the back before anything else. If we had been even a smidgin harder to score against we'd be in the play offs now.

Signings brilliant, Conway, Gestede, Evans, and Keane. A notable mention for Ben Marshall, thought he did well before he got injured.

Inconsistency cost us dearly, iffy tactics and poor substitutions during the season left many baffled. Cairney out wide, really Bowyer?

On a positive note with regards to Bowyer, he has had a full season in charge, so next season he will be able to plan much better. Its vital as to what will happen in the transfer window, especially if some of key players gets sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this season has been a mixed bag. The epitome of inconsistency. The squad, the tactics, the first team, the expectations and the performances have all ranged from sub standard to top class.

Examples of excellence in the past 12 games especially, which followed one of the most sub standard displays (Bolton) I have heard/read about and the second half no show against Burnley. Other negative examples such as Bournemouth, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday at home and positive ones such as an excellent sixth months away from home which has easily been the best travelling set of results since the Hughes era. All of this show constant inconsistency!

Comparing the squad to this time last year though shows lots of pro's as opposed to cons. The recruitment has been good in my eyes- obviously some will not make the grade. Remember that every manager will bring players in who won't make it. The quality in recruitment is shown by our best performing players recently- all being relatively new.

A potential negative in squad building in this time is the lack of development in some of our home grown talents. Hanley has not improved like I would of hoped and this applies to Henley, Kean and a few others. I see moderate improvement in Lowe but that may be something a lot if you will disagree with. King has been the major improver with a decent start and finish to the campaign.

The real stars for me this season are Gestede for his skill, power and workrate, Cairney's obvious class, Evans, Marshall, Rhodes, Conway, Spurr, Killgallon and Keane- Rhodes being the only player brought in prior. Some also may say he has not lived up to expectations but 25 league goals is good in any language and makes a difference.

As for next season, we need to sign up Keane. I see him as potentially a prem player in future- he just needs experience- which is what lots of our squad and staff need to develop.

Do we have time for them to learn from experience? I'm not sure- but one thing that is for certain- in the long scheme of seasons, this is the first step in the right direction in a while.

I am sure that my personal view may provoke a little aggravation to some of the members.

This season has seen the shoots of recovery begin to slowly blossom, both on the pitch and off it.

I really believe Derek Shaw and co have done a great job behind the scenes the reason why ? there are many many of us who have no idea as to the state of play behind closed doors and believe me the picture wasn't bright, it was a world of uncertainty, I know this because he took time out to actually contact me and he had a forthright warts and all conversation and for that I applaud him.

I haven't been 100% supportive of GB's tactics but like many others, I can now see what he has been trying to do on the pitch. Its only down to some downright bad luck, some cruel twists and rank bad defending that Rovers didn't go up automatically. I stand by my "what we could have" thread. We really were that close to going up.

Next season will be out year I am certain of it especially if we can continue the momentum we are have got going.

Venkys have done the right thing, they have remained in the background YET they have clearly backed the club and continue to do so. I have aired my angst at them but for me, something is there in their now not so well documented rationale. Its clear they know they were victims of a huge kill. Keanscum is now long gone and forgotten, JA and his lot are well rid of.

We wait for ST announcements but for me August cant come quick enough so that we can carry on. There wasn't one team in the league that we shouldn't have hammered out of sight and from the teams coming down they will all struggle big time whilst Wolves wont be the force they were last time out.

Rovers are sitting pretty in these uncertain times. Let the Venkys be, get behind the club and players.

Its now summertime, we have the England world cup fiasco to look forward to but for me I expect to get off the plane from Tenerife and get straight to Ewood in August for th start of what should be a successful season, with or without JR !

Happy summer everyone. (Gone fishing)

We have a new manager and a newly-assembled team and I think progress has been very encouraging with real promise for next season. We expect inexperienced players to be inconsistent and understand this, but seem to be very harsh on the inconsistency of an inexperienced manager. The issue with both is whether they learn and improve and I believe there's plenty of evidence for both these.

The more obvious achievements of club, manager and players include:

* 100 goals for Jordan Rhodes in 4 seasons

* Craig Conway - most assists in the league and he only started with us a few months ago

* 12 games undefeated to conclude the season

* Rudy Gestede - ended the season as Championship player of the month

* Some excellent signings at small cost

* Clearly, a good team spirit and evident enjoyment among the players in representing Blackburn Rovers.

* High status clubs are entrusting some of their youthful players to us

* The wage bill has been reduced significantly

* Most of the players with poor attitudes have been shipped out, at least temporarily. Some people say that Bowyer lacks determination or toughness in spite of this. I believe his determination not to accept bad attitudes is one of the main reasons for a far better atmosphere at the club.

* Support is beginning to flow back - consider the level of support and attitude at Birmingham and Charlton, and for the Wigan game.

* You are not reading and hearing about the Venkys and club administrators in the media, which is exactly how it should be.

Challenges will include

* Retaining key players

* Getting rid of more dead wood

* Obtaining cover in a few key positions

* Reducing and controlling costs.

* Recognising what Bowyer has already achieved, offering him gratitude and encouragement, and being prepared to accept that he is human and will make mistakes. Making mistakes and learning from them is what leads to improvement.

* The fragile and fickle state of many fans' attitudes, quite understandable given what has happened over the last few years, but a potential liability for progress

* Maintaining the support and interest of the Venkys. Fan hate campaigns and decrying at every opportunity will hopefully fade as it is ultimately self-defeating.

* Rediscovering pride and confidence at every level - that is what our club is about, and we are all responsible for building it. Time to end the blame game.

Time to end the blame game ? There's only one to blame .. VENKYSCUM and forgiveness AINT an option

I am not religious or spiritual in any sense- however the one part of the bible I agree with is the idea of forgiving people.

If and when Venkys offer an apology, I would be happy to accept and forgive. That doesn't make me a sap, or forgetful. It makes me a BIGGER person in every sense of the word.

I could never forget what they have done, but in time I could forgive and move on. The trouble is at current, there is still no acceptance of blame. Hopefully one day, we may get this apology but I'm not holding my breath.

and those actions spoke when they visited the queen and showed off their plaything and then didnt give a @#/? about stopping ( they could have sneaked in around 12.30) and stopped inside the boxes for the yeovil game.

Archived