BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

Rooney needs booking into a fat club between now and then given the unforgivable condition he turned up I south Africa.

Went and holiday'd in Vegas before that World Cup apparently. I'd have been apoplectic if I was Capello.

1. The flight is too long

2. It's just asking for trouble going out there.

Does Rooney even deserve a starting place? He's been generally crap this year and he hasn't shone in an Englad shirt since he got sent injured in Euro 2004 / Possible WC 2006 when he stamped on Carvalho.

Don't mind the squad but I've said all along that if I'd have been Roy I'd have been giving Terry a call just to link him and Cahill up for one last hurrah. They've been the stand out defenders in the PL this season, and taking them as a base would have given me far more confidence than Jagielka.

What has Welbeck done to deserve his place? I suspect he wouldn't have been on the plane had Rodriguez not got injured. Such a shame as I really like that lad.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the look of this squad. More so than many previous tournaments.

The defence is the weakest part of the team, but Hart is a classy keeper and I like Baines and Cahill.

Henderson and Gerrard in midfield and Sturridge and Sterling up front are good combinations.

In attack, a lot will depend on which Rooney turns up and the heat will knacker him up if he's not totally fit.

There's also Lallana who should start, plus Barkley and Wilshire in reserve. They are genuinely exciting.

Honestly, it's not bad. We have a tough group, but potentially a reasonable Round of 16.

Then, please correct me if I'm wrong, Brazil or Spain in the quater finals.

So, England to go out at the quarters. As usual!

Just to put this in context for me can someone explain how this squad is weaker in an attacking sense than 2006 or 2010? Only significant losses have been J Cole and Beckham. Players who are now available -particularly Sturridge and Stirling - are better imo. And we have a lot more depth.

I don't get the negativity. Christ in 2002 we had Trevor Sinclair and radius Vassell!!!

Johnson and Milner are clasic cases of players who look OK in the PL with all the international players around them but when they play for England they are absolutely pants. The positional sense of Johnson is pitiful for an experienced player and yet he has 50 odd caps while Milner's lack of pace is something else, he looks like he is running through treacle. It seems that some players are guaranteed to be in every squad no matter how badly they perform when the pressure is on. Gareth Barry is another 1, I still cringe about his attempt to stop Germany scoring their 3rd goal (?) at the last WC........

• Moderation Lead

Not that sure about the squad, though I'm not sure we've much better to choose from....

I do think we should take Carroll though. Like Shelvey and Downing, he went to Liverpool, flopped, then he's subsequently been written off. In the last twenty minutes, if we want to rough up tired defenders, there's nobody I'd rather bring on!

Gerrard, Lampard, Lambert, Rooney, Baines

Solid 5 for when it goes to penalties! :D

I think that's why Lampard is going. I doubt he'll see a minute otherwise.

Woy will set his team up not to lose. Building from that I think we have options. Barkley, Ox, Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge, and Rooney can all change a game - and they won't all play. Milner and Wellbeck are the utility payers, Lambert the battering ram if he's needed. Wilsher is an interesting one. He has had a poor season, and been outshone by Ramsey, but if he is fit and willing he is perfect for international football as he is one player who can keep possession. England are one of the few teams who name their starting 11 prior to the first game. When the official squad list is published 1 to 11 is usually what the team is.

Gerrard's dead ball expertise helped at the Euro's and he hasn't got any worse since then.

Rooney should be fit as I think they meet up tomorrow. Hopefully there isn't much chance for him to go on a bender.

I'm glad there is no Carrick and Cleverley, they aren't good enough.

I did want Cole in, but as he wouldn't have been palying why not take Shaw?

defensively though I worry about coming up against suarez and cavani, but I really don't see anything in Uruguay or Italy to fear apart from the aforementioned players.

You can't just look at the players though. Italy have reached 9 finals in tournaments, including the last one, and when they won the 2006 World Cup. You can't just pick individual players as you would disagree with Uruguayans just picking out Rooney and Gerrard.

even Lambert would be on the toss of a coin as the 'fall back' big man to be shoved on and provide for a more direct last 20 would be either Carroll or even Crouch who IMO has never let England down and has an excellent scoring record. Not as fearsome as Carroll but much better on the ground.

That's an interesting point. It's true that Crouch has been good for England yet wasn't really considered this time. I suppose Lambert has scored more in recent seasons though.

Why is Lampard in the squad ? Strange one for me - possibly shows how few decent midfield options Hodgson has.

If Gerrard gets injured, for penalty shoot-outs and for experience I guess. England won't be taking Rio, Terry or Cole, plus the likes of Beckham and Owen have retired so that would be a lot of experience missing if Lampard wasn't there......there would only really be Rooney and Gerrard with proper experience of tournaments.

Just to put this in context for me can someone explain how this squad is weaker in an attacking sense than 2006 or 2010? Only significant losses have been J Cole and Beckham. Players who are now available -particularly Sturridge and Stirling - are better imo. And we have a lot more depth.

I don't get the negativity. Christ in 2002 we had Trevor Sinclair and radius Vassell!!!

And Danny Mills. Good point though, the likes of Smalling will probably not even get on the pitch. I would have had Caulker in there personally over him but there you go.

• Backroom

Personally, I'm disappointed that there isn't a bit more youth in there! Would've taken Stones and Caulker (one extra defender) ahead of Milner and Smalling.

Overall, I'm not too disappointed though. No expectation, mind.

• Moderation Lead

Pretty poor if I'm honest, Welbeck is awful, and Lampard has been picked in spite of playing about as much as Ashley Cole....(Not saying he's no good like, but still!)

Glad there's no chance of Cleverley going as well, he's shocking. Someone above picked up on Smalling, and I agree- dreadful player, Richards has been injured a lot this season, otherwise I'd have certainly taken him. Richards would also be a cheap centre half if City picked him there, strong and quick, got to be better than Demichelis surely?.....

Been reading some of these posts and I disagree that it is one of the poorest for a while, I would say the opposite. This team has far more pace and power than it used to have, several very good young players which makes a refreshing change as the selection process has been criticised a lot over the years.

Not that sure about the squad, though I'm not sure we've much better to choose from....

I do think we should take Carroll though. Like Shelvey and Downing, he went to Liverpool, flopped, then he's subsequently been written off. In the last twenty minutes, if we want to rough up tired defenders, there's nobody I'd rather bring on!

Rudy?

cant believe smalling got in over caulker, micah richards, stones or shawcross

Shawcross!!! Shawcross is a Sunday pub player.

Crouch goes if he's still at Spurs or Liverpool on the bench yet he's no chance as first choice at Stoke.

I'm astounded that Smalling is going and very surprised at Lampard. The back up strikers Lambert and Wellbad just underline the dearth of quality in the English game.

Don't think Lampard adds anything but who else goes instead? Barry? Carrick? There's not a lot out there.

Play Sterling, Lallana, Sturridge and Rooney with Barkley in reserve and you'd like to think we'd score goals against most teams. We will concede for fun but at least it should make the games worth watching.

With any luck they will be eliminated in the group stage, then we can enjoy the tournament without all the usual England hype and the half naked drunken yobs hanging around the streets bringing the beautiful game into disrepute.

some people are just never happy, I wont let some of you nay-sayers ruin the tournament for me, we have some exciting young talent at last in a world cup and some pretty established ones, defence is pretty weak but so is Italy's and Uruguay's, if you don't want to support England just don't bother reading this thread!!

COME ON ENGLAND

some people are just never happy, I wont let some of you nay-sayers ruin the tournament for me, we have some exciting young talent at last in a world cup and some pretty established ones, defence is pretty weak but so is Italy's and Uruguay's, if you don't want to support England just don't bother reading this thread!!

CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME UNDERSTAND WANTS THEIR COUNTRY TO GET BEAT.

• Moderation Lead

Quite right. Can't wait for the WC, even if England don't do well, I don't expect much, just heart and desire from the players.

Plus, footy's on all the time :-)

With any luck they will be eliminated in the group stage, then we can enjoy the tournament without all the usual England hype and the half naked drunken yobs hanging around the streets bringing the beautiful game into disrepute.

Here here. I can't wait for June 12th. I turn into a kid again during the World Cup. If England do well it's even better.

Archived