BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you had to make this choice. It will be an interesting time for you guys, that's for sure. Our team (Australia), is so young and inexperienced with the emphasis being on blooding these guys for future World Cup tournaments. We know we are going to get spanked!

He's in the standby group and unlikely to be chosen for the final squad. Tevez must have upset someone not to be included. Glad to see that France haven't picked the trouble making Nasri.

No, Franco is in the final squad with his 18 goals in 6 years in Europe. They must be praying their main forwards stay fit because they have a superb forward line.

Said on the radio that Rooney has gone on holiday with not one but two fitness trainers in tow! Nice one Roy!

That's either great news because he is taking this; his penultimate World Cup incredibly seriously because he knows it's his best chance to have a great tournament, or bad news because he's struggling with a niggling injury and is hoping to iron it all out whilst he's away.

Was listening to TalkSport last night driving home and they were speaking about the Italy match, Rooney, preparations in Portugal and Miami, and how well Roy has planned the whole thing, and for the first time I got genuinely excited for the World Cup. Should be a great summer!

Two trainers or twenty he'll still bottle the big occassion AGAIN.

He's bottled every big non domestic occassion for club and every tournament for country since Euro 2002 and that was purely the exhuberence of youth.

He's ok playing the stokes and san marino's of this world.......

World class? My a.ss

So who would everyone play? For me

-----------Rooney----Sturridge

-Lallana-------Henderson-----Stirling

------------------Gerrard

Baines----Cahill----Jagielka---Johnson

--------------------Hart

Pretty much all out attack. We don't have the players for the defensive game. Henderson plays as we need someone physical with a good engine in the middle to make up for a lack of solidarity in the midfield. Oxlaide-Chamberliane or Barkley might be able to do it but I think they are too attacking. If Henderson isn't fit it will probably be Milner partnering Gerrard.

If we are on the back foot Ox, Wiltshire, Barkley give us some options to bring on. Our striking talent beyond Rooney and Sturridge is very poor. As is our defence beyond Cahill and Jagielka, the exciting Shaw aside.

Really need Rooney, Sturridge, Hart, Cahil and Jagielka to stay fit.

If we get the system working well I think we have a decent chance at the quarters. However it is a loose formation, totally dependent on dominating the opposition and using pace. Quality sides could keep hold of the ball and pick us off.

So who would everyone play? For me

-----------Rooney----Sturridge

-Lallana-------Henderson-----Stirling

------------------Gerrard

Baines----Cahill----Jagielka---Johnson

--------------------Hart

I can't really argue with that 11. I'd have Rooney in behind Sturridge, but with the ability to switch them when needed.

If Wilshere had the form of 12 months ago he would have been hard to leave out. Yet his stop start season, the reinvention of Gerrard, and Henderson's improvment makes it easy.

Ox and Barkley are easy changes for the wide men later in a game. Welbeck to come on for Sturridge late on to tire out defenders. Lampard and Lambert to come on at 119.45 for pens.

Crikey looking at that Argentina squad it totally puts England in the shade, even without Tevez....

----------Aguero ----Higuain

Di Maria-------Gago-----------Messi

-------------Mascherano

?????----?????----????---Zabaleta

-------------Romero

Don't know much about their defenders, but I would say that is the best attack going to the world cup. Even better than Brazil and Spain who have a lot of quality. Think they might regret leaving Tevez at home if Messi, Aguero or Higuain get injured.

Winner of the World Cup is going to be one of Brazil, Argentina or Spain. Don't think Germany have what it takes. They have decent attacking midfielders but Muller and Ozil look nowhere near as good as they did two years ago.

I really liked the look of France's squad

---------------Mandanda

Sagna---Mangala---Varane---Digne

------------Matuidi----Pogba

----------------Valbuena

Ribery-------Benzema-------Griezmann

They're my dark horses. If they even count as dark horses, having reached the final in 06 and winning it in 98.

Germany could field two sides and still win it.

Beyond our best eleven, we are struggling, good to have someone like barkley and chamerbelain to call on from the bench this time unlike previous tournaments, for the first time since '06, I am actually looking forward to watching England at a tournament, hope im not @#/?-faced by 11'o'clock in out first game. our defenders are weak but we have a top class goalkeeper in great form, two very attacking full-backs which will give us an extra dimention, two good midfielders who keep possession in gerrard and Wilshire, multi-talented wide players and a front two (sturridge, rooney) who can produce a moment of magic, if only we had the defenders of previous tournaments, (Campbell, Ferdinand, king, terry, woodgate etc)

• Moderation Lead

Germany have nowt up front aside from Klose this time though.

Gomez injured most of the season, and hasn't been picked! Only one other striker in the squad I can see, unless you count Podolski!

Very interesting to see that Franco Di Santo has been selected in Argentina's preliminary 30 man squad and Karim Rekik has been selected in Holland's. As for who is going to win the world cup I think that it will be either Spain or Columbia.

That England defence! are you guys confident with that defence? Would have taken Ashley Cole with, just for his experience, but thats just my opinion.

That Spain midfield though, what a job it must be to pick the starting 11. Belgium have a strong team, and will surprise a few teams. Argentina cleary have a strong team, and i hope they or Spain win it.

So far Spain Germany and belgiums have all got decent squads, thought Argentina is the poorest it's been in along time especially at the back. France can field a good first 11 but have taken 5 defensive midfielders and Brazil haven't got a decent striker or wingers (don't rate Neymar).

That England defence! are you guys confident with that defence? Would have taken Ashley Cole with, just for his experience, but thats just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Spain midfield though, what a job it must be to pick the starting 11. Belgium have a strong team, and will surprise a few teams. Argentina cleary have a strong team, and i hope they or Spain win it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belgium is a very strong team but their key players didn't play well in the late part of the season. Spain and Brazil are strongest on paper. Spain could play with two very very strong teams. Uruguay has fire power and they usually defend well.

When Rooney is your best player you know you are in trouble. Way over rated. Never been world class since he left Everton and somebody told him he was a good player.

Hahaha El Tombro, ill certainly keep an eye on England. However, cant see them get past the 2nd round. They might just squeeze out of the groups, but beyond that it will be difficult.

South Africa, the less said about our football the better. We have a half decent cricket and rugby team, a few good golfers and swimmers ;)

[quote name="El Tombro" post="1512804" timestamp=

Is anyone interested in doing a BRFCS prediction league? If there's enough folk I'll look around for one or look into how we can set one up. I am in the baby stages of developing a website for prediction leagues but it won't be ready in time for this World Cup so we can find another way.

Yes for me.

When Rooney is your best player you know you are in trouble. Way over rated. Never been world class since he left Everton and somebody told him he was a good player.

Harsh. Rooney has shown himself to be quality consistently in Europe and domestically. It's true he has struggled for England apart from Euro 2004. Not ever a Messi or Ronaldo but a top player none the less. Would get in every side around the world apart from the top four or five I think.

rooney overrated, bla bla bla, only 15 goals or so from being England's all time top scorer, one of man utd top all time scorers, yes hes a very poor player, that goal against Newcastle a few years back, the goal against west ham, any old tom, dick and harry can do that!!! give him service and he will deliver, if people think so lowly of England then watch something else like tennis or cricket this summer, anyhoo, I think sturridge will make a bigger impact at the world cup, got the technique now has the end product.

Archived