BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

The World Cup is an epic event for anyone who loves the beautiful game. I want to see great players playing tactical, technical football with passion and a tournament mindset. With England we get huff and puff fight ball and a ridiculous level of hype and expectation, which really does my head in. I will watch every minute of every game live, that is the only way to really get into this fantastic sporting spectacle. For me, the whole England thing is a distraction.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the WC, have always dreaded it when we haven't qualified. Of course it's a talking point. Germany went young when their aging squad needed binning & trounced us in SA. Can't see any players Woy had to choose from that haven't made it and should have. Time for Rooney to have the games of his life. Barkley is a fantastic talent. Let's go for it! The first game will be a killer for the loser so expect a 0-0 v Italy!

The World Cup is an epic event for anyone who loves the beautiful game. I want to see great players playing tactical, technical football with passion and a tournament mindset. With England we get huff and puff fight ball and a ridiculous level of hype and expectation, which really does my head in. I will watch every minute of every game live, that is the only way to really get into this fantastic sporting spectacle. For me, the whole England thing is a distraction.

Speechless for once

Wasn't in 66 cock! We huffed and puffed our way to lift the World Cup in fine style. Bloody great it was.

Just goes to show how flat I feel about England this time. I didn't even know the squad had been announced until I saw this thread.

Getting out of the group will be seen as an achievement for that lot.

Wasn't in 66 cock! We huffed and puffed our way to lift the World Cup in fine style. Bloody great it was.

You've missed the point completely. I said I like to watch great players playing tactical football with passion. The England team that won the WC had three world class players( Moore, Bobby Charlton, Banks), had a great tactician in Ramsey and wasn't overhyped. It didn't need to huff and puff. None of these things can be said about any England team in the last 20 years.

The mifield and attack has some life to it, but I still think the defense looks very weak. Can't see them stopping top class teams at all. Only Ashley Cole and Terry I would currently put at least in the general region of top defenders, but will have to make do without them...Hart is going to have a lot of work at the world cup.

Has this team been overhyped? Is anyone saying that we're going to win the World Cup? I'm not particularly patriotic but I get tired of hearing people saying how tired they are of England being overhyped. Not since 2004 or maybe 2006 has an England side been genuinely expected to do well. Its nice to see so many young talents being given a run out and I'm looking forward to watching England give it a go. I don't think anyones getting carried away.

Has this team been overhyped? Is anyone saying that we're going to win the World Cup? I'm not particularly patriotic but I get tired of hearing people saying how tired they are of England being overhyped. Not since 2004 or maybe 2006 has an England side been genuinely expected to do well. Its nice to see so many young talents being given a run out and I'm looking forward to watching England give it a go. I don't think anyones getting carried away.

Fair shout.

It's the overhyping in the media before the inevitable post mortem after an early exit that gets me.

It's not happened this time and the tournament, as an England fan, will be better for it.

cant see the Italian defence coping with the pace of sterling, I really don't see anything to fear in this group, none of the sides in our group have a hope of winning the world cup so I am confident with a bit of luck we can make the quarter finals which will be a great achievement

The Italian defence is mostly made up of Juventus players last time I checked, I'm sure they don't fear anyone.

And Abate is probably quicker than Sterling.

Stop doing a massive disservice to one of the greatest international sides in history.

You could say that you are doing a disservice to England. Abate is poor defensively and has struggled to get into a poor Milan side in recent weeks.

15-20yrs ago you wouldn't have found a bigger England fan than me, followed them home and away and hardly missed a game.

All that changed for me with the influx of players like Terry, Cole, Ferdinand and Lampard, the era that clearly thought it was more important how big your club boot deal was rather than playing for your country.

Being knocked out of the Euros by Portugal and seeing Ashley Cole laughing walking off. Terry's revolt against Capello, both absolutely disgusting behaviour especially for the thousands that followed the national team to the tournaments in question.

Thankfully that era are bring put out to pasture and I hope the new breed have more respect for the shirt and the fans, if not get the DVDs of Stuart Pearces penalty in Euro 96 out, that'll leave them in no doubt what playing for England means.

Problem with the world cup is that you aim towards it for 4 years, plan the way you are going to play tactically then chances are you will go out on a ridiculous lottery of a penalty shoot out. That is no way to lose in such an important tournament. One should succeed or fail in open football. It's such an important tournament that time should be allowed for replays if necessary.

EDIT I know, I know, but I just believe we should make the time. It's that prestigious.

Just heard that Franco DiSanto is going to the World Cup. Surely Argentina can do better than that.

He's in the standby group and unlikely to be chosen for the final squad. Tevez must have upset someone not to be included. Glad to see that France haven't picked the trouble making Nasri.

Archived