BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

• Backroom

Forgetting two years of indifferent form, which would suggest that GB is tactically inconsistent rather than clueless...

Not throwing the kids in is now the definition of "clueless"?

The u21s is an avenue for us to set a style of play that matches the first team (did anyone see the winger setup btw) and to push players into contention for first team places. The first team is a big step up for many, in some peoples opinion too big for a few of our current first teamers namely our captain.

Jake Kean is an example of mishandling(ahem) of youth players. If these players are ready, they will be chosen. Do I think GB will consistently get the decision on whether it is the right time or not? I doubt it. But I also have faith that he knows better than throwing in Edinho Jr esq "Greenhorns".

As I said, the time has probably come for a few of this current batch but there can only be 11 players on the pitch at one time. I personally would stick Raya in the net for the last few games and let Eastwood and Steele go get ready to fight out for No1 spot next season.

Surely him sticking with Kean for so long when it was clear he was a bad goalkeeper was far more damaging than playing Edinho Jr. once (in a game we won)

I'd say he gets selections and subs wrong more often than he gets it right. I'd wager that if I was put in charge of Rovers now (assuming I had a footballing background and thus would command at least a bit of respect from the players) that I would make the odd correct selection/sub. And that applies for almost everyone.

One example I use as to why he is certainly lacking tactically. When I saw us play Norwich at home. Olsson and Redmond on Norwich's left flank = lots of pace and overlapping. So he plays Baptiste RB with Cairney on the wing. Cairney, as a natural CM was clearly going to get sucked inside and leave Baptiste exposed. A couple of times Olsson got in behind due to this but luckily nothing came of it, and even more luckily Baptiste had an absolute stormer.

It was obvious to a blind man that this would happen yet Bowyer seemingly didn't account for this. Little things like this make a difference over the course of the season and, forgetting the consistently inverted wingers and the hoofball tactics, I think he has proven time again that he just doesn't have the brains to outwit the better managers in this league (which explains our record against the teams above us).

Your example in the Norwich game is totally valid. What I noticed and posted at the time on here was TC openly ignoring GB instructions to the point where he actually gesticulated and muttered under his breath etc... I feel GB has very little respect in terms of manager to player relationship. Mates with too many. New manager please

So did we get an answer as to how the not picking youth in order to not pick them for a youth game was valid reasoning?

some were apoplectic that gaz got called out on that decision yet dance around the mullberry bush rather than backtrack and say it was as it was called at the time, a poor decision. This is the time to give them a go. nowt at stake, go and enjoy yourself son

Someone mentioned that the under 21s are taught to play like the first team.

In hindsight I can see almost a mirror image of the first team in last night's final first leg.

Green, a slightly built lad, on his own up front with no support. Two banks of defence and midfield.

No-one with any real pace or craft. (Oh for another Damian Duff).

In the second half constant passing out to a left winger who is a two footed player (a la Marshall) and the best creator of chances.

In the main being second best in winning the second ball. Soaking up the pressure and hoping for a good break (but not enough pace).

At times it really was like watching the first team.

Fair enough. I'm not questioning the progression of the academy after Kean et al systematically tore it apart. What I am questioning is Bowyer's decision to not throw any kids on vs Reading, the subsequent excuses of those who defend him claiming it was for the u21 cup final, only to be proven that they weren't included in that game due to first team commitments, highlighting that Bowyer did in fact leave them out of the Reading game as he's tactically clueless.

Or perhaps the people saying that weren't privy to the manager's thoughts and you had no idea who would be picked for tonight (and come on as sub). If your post proves anyone to be clueless, it isn't the manager.

• Like 2

Don't see that at all yesterday.

We played 4-3-3 yesterday. The first team play 4-4-2 formation.

Which three were up front then Chaddy?

I only saw Green and his replacement Mansell.

And we very often play 4-5-1 not 4-4-2

Edited by bazza

Definitely similarities with the actual style of play, I thought that when straight at kick off it was punted forwards. Also balls into a centre forward who couldn't handle them all night. Being fair though Saints are a very good side and play quick one touch football. After watching our u21's this season no way can we compete with that so I'd prefer to think they came up with a system to nullify that and try and catch them out on the break or going long. The nullifying bit worked but attack wise we struggled.

Or perhaps the people saying that weren't privy to the manager's thoughts and you had no idea who would be picked for tonight (and come on as sub). If your post proves anyone to be clueless, it isn't the manager.

You've clearly misunderstood. I wasn't talking about tonight. The issue is why were they left out vs Reading? Some defended Bowyer by claiming they were being rested for the youth cup game, as it was their "biggest game of the season". They clearly weren't, as they didn't play. Yes, O'Sullivan played tonight, which is great, but I see no reason why they weren't given at least a run out on Saturday. After the backlash from some posters defending Bowyer's decision to rest them at Reading citing it was specifically for the youth final, it is a little humorous how they didn't feature.

You've clearly misunderstood. I wasn't talking about tonight. The issue is why were they left out vs Reading? Some defended Bowyer by claiming they were being rested for the youth cup game, as it was their "biggest game of the season". They clearly weren't, as they didn't play. Yes, O'Sullivan played tonight, which is great, but I see no reason why they weren't given at least a run out on Saturday. After the backlash from some posters defending Bowyer's decision to rest them at Reading citing it was specifically for the youth final, it is a little humorous how they didn't feature.

You're just looking for things to moan about. Bowyer said he would give O'Sullivan a run-out before the end of the season and he has. The only people who said he should play at Reading were on here and fortunately none of you manage the club.

You're just looking for things to moan about. Bowyer said he would give O'Sullivan a run-out before the end of the season and he has. The only people who said he should play at Reading were on here and fortunately none of you manage the club.

I'm not. Some who attended wanted to see the youngsters given a run out. The hilarity was in the defence by posters who insisted Bowyer was resting them for the youth cup final and made a huge deal out of it, only to be proven wrong by their omission. If anyone seemed so sure they were privy to Bowyer's "logic", it was those in his defence.

Regardless of him not playing the youth vs Reading, I still find it bizarre that no further subs were made after the 60th.

Bowyer has said in the LT that Gestede has been working with Lee Mansell and passing on tips to him.

Lewis Mansell is a good 18months at best from being ready for the first team, some potential there without doubt, but a long way off. I imagine young players having training sessions with the senior players is common practice.