BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Scabby. Southampton really shouldn't be proud of that. In contrast I'm really proud of our young lads this evening. Pushing a very good side laden with PL debutants very close to the wire.

Let's hope that some of these lads can push on, and some of them even be given opportunities around the first team. I wonder how we'd have done with O'Sullivan and Lenihan in the side. It'll be a travesty to them, and an insult to the U21s, if we don't see both play some part tomorrow evening.

Funny enough looked at the line ups the last time we were in the final against Chelsea a couple of years back to see how many broke through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals#2011.E2.80.9312:_Chelsea_vs_Blackburn_Rovers_.284-0_and_0-1.2C_4-1_Aggregate.29 obviously different circumstances this time round

Edited by perthblue02

I think he said they were playing against lads a couple of years older than Rovers and it showed that tonight

It's a risky strategy. It could help make them stronger physically and could pay dividends in future. On the other hand, being outfought can be dispiriting and the mental side of the game can become a negative.

After the tribulations of watching Rovers this season I have been given some optimism for the future but we need to see some of the younger players getting some game time for the first team. Nyambe looks ready now and Hardcastle showed us something we don't have in the first team squad namely a box to box midfielder. Bauress looked solid as a defensive midfielder.

Funny enough looked at the line ups the last time we were in the final against Chelsea a couple of years back to see how many broke through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals#2011.E2.80.9312:_Chelsea_vs_Blackburn_Rovers_.284-0_and_0-1.2C_4-1_Aggregate.29 obviously different circumstances this time round

R Hanley, O'Sullivan

Edwards and O'Connell have left haven't they? Is Tim Payne still with us?

Ironically one player did from that match did make a regular starting berth in our first team. Chelsea's Todd Kane...

R Hanley, O'Sullivan

Edwards and O'Connell have left haven't they? Is Tim Payne still with us?

Ironically one player did from that match did make a regular starting berth in our first team. Chelsea's Todd Kane...

Payne left due to work permit issues apparently, Oçonnell to Brentford, Edwards to Morecambe I think. didn't we release Hanley and he went to a prem club?

EDIT list of players who played over the two legs in 2011/12 final and where they are as far as I can find.

Matthew Urwin - Bradford 2014/15

Peter Wylie - Skelmersdale United

Wiil Beesley - Released 2014, signed for Southport 2015

Reece Hands - Greenock Morton 2013 -released 2015

Ryan edwards - Morecambe 2014

Jack Oçonnell - Brentford 2015

Osayamen Osawe - 2013 Southport 2015 Hallascher (germany)

Raheem Hanley - Swansea 2014

Curtis Haley - played on loan at Chorley , Bamber Bridge , now ?

John O'sullivan still at club

Hugo Fernandez - AC E Manlleu (spain)

Darragh Lennian - Still at club

Christopher Dillo - St Mirren 2013 - Stade Rennais (France)

Tim Payne 2014 Auckland City 2015 Portland Timbers 2 (US)

Kellen Daly - still at club

Robbie Cotton - 2014 -Sheffield FC

Bradley Mason - Warrington Town 2014

Danny laverty 2014 - Rhyl FC 2015 Cefn druids

Antonie Bolan - 2014 Tranmere 2015 Stalybridge

Edited by perthblue02

A good effort from the lads against older and more experienced players. This has often been the case this season because we have looked to push lads through earlier than in the past. A number of players have done really well over the course of the season and it was good to see Sam Joel come on after his excellent hat-trick on Saturday morning against Norwich. The future looks quite promising if we can get one or two of these lads into the senior team.

• Like 1

I hate losing, I hate seeing us lose, I was unimpressed with a lot of the play and players, so Im not a fan now okay

It's not all about the results in under 21s it's about them getting the experience of the big games, they're clearly not gonna be the finished article. Slating some young players because they can't cross a ball is just petty and plain ignorant

A very good effort against more experienced and physically mature opponents.

Sadly, not too many on show (both sides) showed too much technical ability.

Raya, Nyambe, Mahoney and then Hardcastle caught the eye. First three should be given some extended 1st team game time before the season ends.

• Like 1

I didn't see the first leg at Ewood, but tonight the better team won. I've no problem saying that, but watched it all and was proud that we took an older and more experienced side right to the wire. Some very fetching performances, and this team will hopefully grow.

Wish the Loons had been at this game rather than Saturday?

Payne left due to work permit issues apparently, Oçonnell to Brentford, Edwards to Morecambe I think. didn't we release Hanley and he went to a prem club?

EDIT list of players who played over the two legs in 2011/12 final and where they are as far as I can find.

Matthew Urwin - Bradford 2014/15

Peter Wylie - Skelmersdale United

Wiil Beesley - Released 2014, signed for Southport 2015

Reece Hands - Greenock Morton 2013 -released 2015

Ryan edwards - Morecambe 2014

Jack Oçonnell - Brentford 2015

Osayamen Osawe - 2013 Southport 2015 Hallascher (germany)

Raheem Hanley - Swansea 2014

Curtis Haley - played on loan at Chorley , Bamber Bridge , now ?

John O'sullivan still at club

Hugo Fernandez - AC E Manlleu (spain)

Darragh Lennian - Still at club

Christopher Dillo - St Mirren 2013 - Stade Rennais (France)

Tim Payne 2014 Auckland City 2015 Portland Timbers 2 (US)

Kellen Daly - still at club

Robbie Cotton - 2014 -Sheffield FC

Bradley Mason - Warrington Town 2014

Danny laverty 2014 - Rhyl FC 2015 Cefn druids

Antonie Bolan - 2014 Tranmere 2015 Stalybridge

Wasn't Robbie Cotton going to be the next big thing? The 'next Steven Gerrard' according to someone.

Wasn't Robbie Cotton going to be the next big thing? The 'next Steven Gerrard' according to someone.

Thought it was good old Keano who was bigging him up ,. Must have been a decent %vol wine being downed the night before his comments in the house with no dog or perhaps the lad had just signed with a new agency :)

Edit link http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/9268550.Cotton_is_not_run_of_the_mill__says_Blackburn_Rovers_boss/?ref=arc

Edited by perthblue02

WOW! What a game! Rovers did themselves proud even though they lost it 2-1 in extra time.

The commentators were always praising the Southampton academy and saying how the Saints are so wonderful and should win this cup at a cantor.

Later they admitted that Blackburn Rovers just would not lie down and mentioned that we were quite young compared to Southampton.

I'm very proud of the boys in blue and white tonight. First 20 minutes we played far better than at any time in the first leg. But when Southampton broke they looked dangerous.

Half time came and still the score was 0-0. Second half saw the Saints take the lead with a well struck shot by their golden boy Ryan Seager.

We seemed to be stirred out of our lethargy and a good cross from the left wing produced an own goal which really was due to our threat rather than them making a mistake. People in the pub thought I'd gone ballistic (which I had) because I was the only one actually interested in the game.

We had had several players booked and they had too, a lot of these bookings are totally unwarranted in my opinion (according to the old laws of the game, not the modern version). Southampton had a player sent off for a second yellow which I thought was a ridiculous decision. Anyway it was us11 versus them 10 with about 15 minutes left.

We didn't take advantage and the game petered out to extra time. Early in extra time their Sam Gallagher was persistent and scored the best goal of the game giving David Raya no chance. Rovers were so slow to respond I was screaming at them to get forward and "have a reet good go" but they only did this in the last few minutes.

Overall I think the players played better than in the first leg at Ewood. And here is a quick resume of them.

Raya..................................good as usual

Nyambe ...........................good enough.

Lavelle..............................consistent

Jones...............................had a really good game. Seemed to be in the thick of it.

Doyle............................much better performance than 1st leg

Thomson.....................I'm not convinced about this lad. Went off injured.

Bauress..........................again played well

Rittenberg....................out on the left wing. Did some good things. Was subbed later.

Carson.....................a nondescript game and was replaced by Hardcastle.

Mahoney.............started well on the right. Then went on the left. As the game went on he became less effective.

Mansell.......only 17 but worked hard up front as target man.

Hardcastle.....came on for Carson. Improved the whole team. Could be a good player.

Joel................came on for Thomson and did very little. He will not go forward, plays the ball sideways and backwards, treats the ball like it's a hot potato, and IMO is a very poor player.

Tanner....the last of the subs. Did OK. Didn't light any fires.

However I would like to say well done to the boys in blue and to Eric Kinder for producing such a close final that the national media were not prepared for.

WELL DONE ROVERS !!!

• Like 4

Its a shame Rovers appointed Kinder as Under 21s manager.

Imagine if they had appointed the 'best candidate' for the job, as so many on here wanted. We might have beat Southampton last night, rather than only reaching the final, pushing a side with Premier League experience all the way and finishing the game with 8 players under the age of 18.

:)

• Like 2

you can't seriously wallow in the marginal success of a bunch of kids in a competition that the tops teams didn't enter and we got a bye to the quarters....

I think you might find that we beat Aston Villa in the round of 16 to get to the quarters rather than a bye - but then any excuse to knock the club even if it's factually incorrect.

• Like 2

you can't seriously wallow in the marginal success of a bunch of kids in a competition that the tops teams didn't enter and we got a bye to the quarters....

You were right about the boy Carson in midfield though Andy, played like Frank Carson.

• Like 1

they did well. 2 years younger than most of the lads they played against and they reach the final. Not bad for an academy that was destroyed under Kean.

• Like 1