BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

I went to the match last night and I've got to say I wasn't really impressed. But i was blissfully unaware of the fact we were averaging two years less than Southampton. Truth be told it really showed. Saints, and in particular Target and Harrison Reed were so much more savvy than anything we had. Cute shirt pulls away from the refs gaze and most importantly they kept their shape superbly. We just couldn't find a way to break them down.

Mahoney looked decent if lightweight. That lazy looking Chris Waddle look about him. I was also impressed by Tanner when he came on. And the milkybar kid who recently bagged a hatrick looked like he could play a bit. The ginger haired lad in the middle who got taken off might have a bit about him if he learns to get his head up and not always play sideways or backwards. I thought our centreback pairing looked ok too. Some good desire to put their bodies on the line. Although I'm always wary when a defence has to keep making last ditch blocks and tackles. It, more often than not highlights a poor reading of the game by either them personally or those around them. Not sure which after watching them just once.

For me the thing which summed it up best was our right back. He kept doing his job (against good opposition it should be said) to about 90%. Then he'd slip or make a bad choice of pass and undo his good work. Not singling him out for critism. Just a good example. But it's something to build on. These boys are just that. Boys. And they kept plugging away against probably the best youth team in the land. When you consider the 'star' players were missing it was a good effort.

All said and done I think it's a pity the kids we have aren't given more licence to express themselves. There seemed to be a definite and deliberate intent to get the ball to Mahoney and see what he could produce. But a severe lack of freedom to travel with the ball and take responsibility for creating an opportunity. But that said our focal point was a seventeen year old striker who was passing in the wind most of the match.

It was also very apparent that we lack at youth level what we lack at first team level. A general. A player who demands the ball. I felt Tanner was as close as we had to that and I was surprised he didn't start especially against Reed. But i guess these type of player aren't easy to find at any level.

Raya looked exceptionally assured and I've renewed optimism that he can play a decent level of football.

Finally I apologise for the fact I don't remember the names of these boys. I was sat at the opposite end to the scoreboard and could barely read a thing.

Edited by patrickvalery
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they played well again and it'll be handy having Taylor back, at least he isn't another defensive mid. I just wish a few more people would turn out to watch them when they play on Ewood, we get the same on at Leigh.

Edited by tomphil

Went to go and watch the U18s Saturday and U21s last night

U18s got good 2-1 win against Everton who were undeafeated, 4 wins and a draw, before the game. Rovers have now only lost to Man City this season. Mansell looks a handful up front and scored a very well taken goal. Rovers looked fairly comfortable throughout and when Everton went down to 10 men after an hour Rovers pushed forward but kept getting caught out at the back through counter attacks before deciding to stop being so gung-ho and they saw out the game. Fisher looked decent in goal, Mols and Grayson in midfield look good with their passing and you can tell they've played together for years.

U21s were very comfortable against a very poor Brighton side. Taylor and Mahoney stand out players for me. Mahoney was a constant threat and deserves a chance on the bench for me but as O'Sullivan hasn't had any real chance then I do fear for him but hope he can at least go out on loan soon as think he could do very well in League 2 at least. Raya needs to improve his kicking to move onto the next level but he pulled off one brilliant save.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Venky’s are also ‘keen on bringing Academy players through’, said Shaw, who added, ‘we’ve signed one Academy player last week and we’re on the verge of signing two more’."

This is from the LT

Anybody know anything about these 3 academy players we´ve signed?

Edited by DanielMB