BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

I hope they get some pro games under their belt and make a go of their career elsewhere, all the best to them. Tanner was a standout talent at one stage wasn't he?

Pleased that Maclaren is making progress, good on him, always nice to see some of the 'no-hopers' try and prove they're good enough

I watched Maclaren at Glory after being released from Rovers and to be honest (especially in his second season) from what I saw of Rovers games on rovers player / TV he would not have looked out of place playing at least a minor role in the first team that season, unfortunately he was one of the players caught up in the salary cap scandal so left Glory. OK its the A league but comparable to mid to lower championship level.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

As a Brisbane Roar fan I've been hugely impressed with Maclaren and didn't even know he was a former Rover! He's received a call up to the Socceroos squad so he's definitely on the right path. I fear we will lose him at some stage but if/when we do I hope it's to a decent club in Europe as apposed to Asia or the Middle East. He certainly has a bright future!

• Like 1

That's the first time I've been uplifted reading anything on this message board in months.

Thanks for posting the link, Capt.

• Like 1

It's on the LT site

Eric is a really likeable guy. Heard him speak at length and publically at the ' Tea Party.'

He's sorted out a real mess, and when he speaks you hear his passion and knowledge.

He's a Rover and this club means more to him than most.

Enjoyable article, too.

Lets home he's right about the current graduates, because we need them more than ever.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that the various clubs that currently hold 'Category A' academy status are in the process of being assessed to see whether they comply with the ever changing requirements. The criteria for Category A status has been enhanced making it more difficult for clubs to obtain and retain Category One status.

Wolves have recently been audited and confirmed last week that they had been given Category One status once again and have been given a 3 year licence (the highest possible).

http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/news-academy-retains-category-one-status-3144500.aspx

Manchester United have also been audited recently and are expecting to retain their Category One status going forward (so they can play their reserves in the Football League Trophy).

Presumably this means that Rovers have been audited or are being audited at the moment. Does anyone know when we will find out the outcome, or indeed whether Rovers already know the outcome?

I was under the impression that some improvements would need to be made down at the academy at Brockhall, including erecting floodlights and a temporary stand for spectators. Have these been done?

Also, the cost of maintaining a Category One academy is in excess of £2 million per year. Are Venkys going to continue to shovel that amount of money in or can we expect cost-cutting in this department like Bolton did last year?

I understand that the various clubs that currently hold 'Category A' academy status are in the process of being assessed to see whether they comply with the ever changing requirements. The criteria for Category A status has been enhanced making it more difficult for clubs to obtain and retain Category One status.

Wolves have recently been audited and confirmed last week that they had been given Category One status once again and have been given a 3 year licence (the highest possible).

http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/news-academy-retains-category-one-status-3144500.aspx

Manchester United have also been audited recently and are expecting to retain their Category One status going forward (so they can play their reserves in the Football League Trophy).

Presumably this means that Rovers have been audited or are being audited at the moment. Does anyone know when we will find out the outcome, or indeed whether Rovers already know the outcome?

I was under the impression that some improvements would need to be made down at the academy at Brockhall, including erecting floodlights and a temporary stand for spectators. Have these been done?

Also, the cost of maintaining a Category One academy is in excess of £2 million per year. Are Venkys going to continue to shovel that amount of money in or can we expect cost-cutting in this department like Bolton did last year?

Rovers were audited at the end of last year and were expecting to hear the result anytime now. I think that the feeling was that with the investment the owners have put into the Academy that they would maintain Category One status. I think the Rovers believe that they may be able to avoid the building of a stand etc, because the of the difficulties with planning regulations in that part of the Ribble Valley.

Rovers were audited at the end of last year and were expecting to hear the result anytime now. I think that the feeling was that with the investment the owners have put into the Academy that they would maintain Category One status. I think the Rovers believe that they may be able to avoid the building of a stand etc, because the of the difficulties with planning regulations in that part of the Ribble Valley.

Thanks. I was thinking it would be slightly unfair if Rovers lost their Category One status due to not having facilities owing to planning difficulties in the Ribble Valley. I imagine that numerous other clubs with purpose built training facilities in the countryside will face similar problems.

I don't know whether it has been answered yet but would Rovers' U21s be eligible to participate in the Football League Trophy next season? I know they only mentioned 16 clubs with Category One status competing when there are about 20 odd with Category One status, so presumably some are going to miss out. Will there be a qualification process or will they just allow the Premier League clubs to enter teams and not clubs like Rovers, Reading, Wolves, Norwich, Brighton, Fulham and Villa who have Category One status but aren't in the top flight.

It seems unfair to me if Rovers' academy, along with the likes of Reading and Wolves are excluded from the competition just because the senior team is in the Championship when we all have equal status in terms of academy standard. Hardly fair on the young players in the Rovers and Reading academies that they will miss out on playing in that competition, especially when Rovers and Reading's Under 21 teams both performed quite well and better than a number of Premier League clubs last season.

Edited by JHRover

Thanks. I was thinking it would be slightly unfair if Rovers lost their Category One status due to not having facilities owing to planning difficulties in the Ribble Valley. I imagine that numerous other clubs with purpose built training facilities in the countryside will face similar problems.

I don't know whether it has been answered yet but would Rovers' U21s be eligible to participate in the Football League Trophy next season? I know they only mentioned 16 clubs with Category One status competing when there are about 20 odd with Category One status, so presumably some are going to miss out. Will there be a qualification process or will they just allow the Premier League clubs to enter teams and not clubs like Rovers, Reading, Wolves, Norwich, Brighton, Fulham and Villa who have Category One status but aren't in the top flight.

It seems unfair to me if Rovers' academy, along with the likes of Reading and Wolves are excluded from the competition just because the senior team is in the Championship when we all have equal status in terms of academy standard. Hardly fair on the young players in the Rovers and Reading academies that they will miss out on playing in that competition, especially when Rovers and Reading's Under 21 teams both performed quite well and better than a number of Premier League clubs last season.

I suspect it will only be Premier League clubs as the Premier League are putting another million into the prize money pot. I agree though, hardly seems fair when some Championship clubs performed better than their counterparts in the Premier League at Under-21 level. Also, I'm not sure there will be 16 Premier League clubs with grade one status now that Villa, Newcastle and Norwich have been relegated. I make it that on last season's Under-21 competition that there are now just 15 clubs, including Middlesbrough, with category one status. So unless Burnley and Hull have achieved that level over the summer I'm not sure how they will get 16 clubs.

If you dont produce at least 1 youngster from the academy a year, and he doesnt make the 1st team then you should be worried. the academy costs money to maintain, so you have to ensure you get youngsters in that has potential to make the step up.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on our Category 1 audit yet? The club must surely know if it has been retained by now. Numerous other clubs have announced they have passed the test.

It also seems possible that Rovers Under 21s might yet be invited to join in the farcical 'EFL Trophy'. After inviting 16 clubs, some of whom performed worse than Rovers U21s last season, now Man City have turned down the invitation and United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are expected to follow them, meaning the 'EFL' will have to eventually get round to inviting Rovers to participate.

The 'EFL' will be most disappointed if they have to let Rovers join in the fun rather than just the Premier League boys.

• 2 months later...
  • Backroom

From an extremely reliable source.

There was a meeting down at the academy today with some of the staff to let them know they need to cut costs by £350,000 per annum starting from this season.

I suppose it was inevitable at some point but still another kick in the teeth to Jack's legacy.

From an extremely reliable source.

There was a meeting down at the academy today with some of the staff to let them know they need to cut costs by £350,000 per annum starting from this season.

I suppose it was inevitable at some point but still another kick in the teeth to Jack's legacy.

Sounds like a large proportion of the budget at that level. What would Jack think!

Another nail in the coffin. Can't take this lying down

That's why the slasha won't come to meetings. Weren't we being told they should get praise for funding the academy ????

Said it then and i'll say it again ..con artists the lot of them. Won't stay cat 1 for long with those kind of cuts.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'd just like to congratulate the U23s on their excellent win against Burnley earlier today in the Premier League Cup. Hopefully with home games against Cardiff and Sunderland to come they can progress in the competition.

Even after everything that's gone on at this club and even though it's 'only' the U23s it still feels great to see the Rovers lads giving Burnley a good beating.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there today but sounds like a convincing win and well deserved victory. Anthony Stokes and Matty Platt with two goals a piece and Platt came close to his hat-trick.

Well done to them, done the club proud. Surely we need to be seeing Stokes in the first team though?

• Like 2

Mahoney with 3 assists too, it's about time he got a run of games with the first team.

Mahoney with 3 assists too, it's about time he got a run of games with the first team.

With a run of first team games coupled with some decent performances the chicken chokers could make a couple of million on him in the summer.

I'd just like to congratulate the U23s on their excellent win against Burnley earlier today in the Premier League Cup. Hopefully with home games against Cardiff and Sunderland to come they can progress in the competition.

Even after everything that's gone on at this club and even though it's 'only' the U23s it still feels great to see the Rovers lads giving Burnley a good beating.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there today but sounds like a convincing win and well deserved victory. Anthony Stokes and Matty Platt with two goals a piece and Platt came close to his hat-trick.

Well done to them, done the club proud. Surely we need to be seeing Stokes in the first team though?

Well done to the team and management. It's always good to beat that lot at any level.

• Like 1

Excellent second-half performance today. Stokes and Platt both scored two and in the second period we looked on a totally different level to Burnley. Brown and Platt were superb at the centre of defence whilst Travis and Doyle attacked well from the full-back positions. Rankin-Costello looked good after his recent dip in form and Tomlinson worked hard in midfield. Stokes, after an indifferent first-half, looked much better after the interval.

• Like 2