BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Playing against men even at a lower level will toughen him up. He learn how to give as good as he gets physically and look after himself off the ball.

I have seen the odd conference game on BT sport this year and the standard is pretty good. Like you say, playing against men, will certainly toughen him up. I have asked my pal to keep me update on how Matty Platt gets on, for the remainder of the season. Hopefully being part, of a successful side will help, as Barrow have a fair chance of a play off spot.

Just now, 1arC said:

I have seen the odd conference game on BT sport this year and the standard is pretty good. Like you say, playing against men, will certainly toughen him up. I have asked my pal to keep me update on how Matty Platt gets on, for the remainder of the season. Hopefully being part, of a successful side will help, as Barrow have a fair chance of a play off spot.

Connor Thomson is also on loan at Barrow.

Checking now, for whatever reason Thomson wasn't in the lineup for Barrow last night (they were short a man on the bench, so maybe he's hurt?), but had started a game a couple weeks ago, otherwise sitting on the bench.

Looks like it was Platt's first start. Oddly came on as a sub in the 46th minute the game before, though was then subbed off in the 67th minute... Maybe hurt, though he managed the full 90 minutes last night.

Checking on our other loanee, Wharton, he started in Cambridge's game on Saturday after sitting a few after being subbed at the half in his previous start, which was a bit worrying. I certainly have hopes for the lad, but I didn't quite get the enthusiasm for throwing him to the wolves this year. Notwithstanding our defensive struggles under Coyle and him scrambing a goal in the League Cup, but a 19 year old who had reportedly had some injuries and I remember reading he had some tough games for the u23s this year too, so some time in League 2 should do him well.

17 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Checking now, for whatever reason Thomson wasn't in the lineup for Barrow last night (they were short a man on the bench, so maybe he's hurt?), but had started a game a couple weeks ago, otherwise sitting on the bench.

Looks like it was Platt's first start. Oddly came on as a sub in the 46th minute the game before, though was then subbed off in the 67th minute... Maybe hurt, though he managed the full 90 minutes last night.

Checking on our other loanee, Wharton, he started in Cambridge's game on Saturday after sitting a few after being subbed at the half in his previous start, which was a bit worrying. I certainly have hopes for the lad, but I didn't quite get the enthusiasm for throwing him to the wolves this year. Notwithstanding our defensive struggles under Coyle and him scrambing a goal in the League Cup, but a 19 year old who had reportedly had some injuries and I remember reading he had some tough games for the u23s this year too, so some time in League 2 should do him well.

Cheers for the insight. I didn't know we had another player on loan at Barrow. To be honest, I didn't even know who Matty Platt was, until I got the message about him from my mate. I guess watching the U23's and the academy teams, gives fans the insight into these things and good that we have posters on here, who do this.

On 08/03/2017 at 0:05 PM, RoverCanada said:

Are they setting these young lads up to fail so 'they' the agents can bring their own shyte through ?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15146414._Hopefully_he_sees_it_here____Tony_Mowbray_on_the_future_of_Blackburn_Rovers_winger_Connor_Mahoney/?ref=mac

Interesting comments by TM on Mahoney and money. You'd hope they are aimed at Connor's agent and not at Connor. I suppose it also depends what the contract offer from Rovers was.

Not sure if TM should be alluding to this stuff in public though.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15146414._Hopefully_he_sees_it_here____Tony_Mowbray_on_the_future_of_Blackburn_Rovers_winger_Connor_Mahoney/?ref=mac

Interesting comments by TM on Mahoney and money. You'd hope they are aimed at Connor's agent and not at Connor. I suppose it also depends what the contract offer from Rovers was.

Not sure if TM should be alluding to this stuff in public though.

I think its more a message to the Senior and above to get CM tied down and get his contract sorted. It's obvious that TM sees Mahoney as the future of the club, even it is to sell him for a large fee.

Letting him walk for next to nothing to save a wage is very short sighted even by this club's standards.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think its more a message to the Senior and above to get CM tied down and get his contract sorted. It's obvious that TM sees Mahoney as the future of the club, even it is to sell him for a large fee.

Letting him walk for next to nothing to save a wage is very short sighted even by this club's standards.

You could be right but it doesn't seem to read like that:-

"if his talent is good enough then don’t be concerned about things to do with money, because that comes. If you’re good enough and talented enough in this world people throw money at you and you get so much you don’t know what to do with it... Hopefully conversations with his advisers will go well with the club and we will wait and see. "

I think that's very clearly aimed at Connor and Connor's advisers. Which begs the question are the club taking the proverbial with their offer, or are Connor's advisers? 

We need to keep Mahoney. He is exactly the type of player we need right now to excite the fans. If he leaves, he won't be replaced adequately. All the money that has been wasted here over the years, this seems like a no brainer. I would say what division we are in will play a huge part in his decision.

Has anyone heard that we are dropping our Academy rating at the end of the season? Talking to an academy coach at another club who says we are withdrawing 'expenses' for the players and therefore the parents are looking to go to other clubs.

33 minutes ago, jumpin' said:

Has anyone heard that we are dropping our Academy rating at the end of the season? Talking to an academy coach at another club who says we are withdrawing 'expenses' for the players and therefore the parents are looking to go to other clubs.

we secure our top rating last summer

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/blackburn-rovers-academy-category-1-status-3201159.aspx

isn't this rating for 3 years long?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we secure our top rating last summer

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/blackburn-rovers-academy-category-1-status-3201159.aspx

isn't this rating for 3 years long?

It was something I heard today. If that's the case that it's for 3 years then all well & good.

Rovers squad away at Middlesborough, according to the club website.

The game should have kicked off now, and there will be live updates for anyone interested.

I predict 2-1 rovers, with mansell and Ran-Cos on the fact sheet.

ROVERS: Fisher, Henley, Thompson (development squad debut apparently), Evans, Magloire, Travis, Mols, Hardcastle (c), Mansell, Butterworth, Rankin-Costello.

Subs: Jackson, Powell (GK), Grayson, Pemberton, Hendry.

Edited by AlFowler

A young team was well beaten tonight up at Hartlepool.  Middlesbrough looked very impressive and Mikael Soisalo was simply outstanding.  Rovers had a very young side out now that Nyambe, Tomlinson and Mahoney are with the seniors and the likes of Platt, Thomson and Wharton are all out on loan.  Add the injured Jack Doyle to the list and this was a very different side to the one that has been so impressive this season.  However, it was, nonetheless a very disappointing performance with far too many mistakes being made.  The youngsters who'd come up from the Under-18's will have found a huge difference and young Lewis Thompson had a difficult night at left-back.  Tyler Magloire wasn't as commanding as usual and Lewis Travis was utilised at centre-back for the first time so it proved to be a makeshift defence and the home side fully exploited it.  Middlesbrough looked a quick and powerful outfit and they made the most of their chances.  Definitely a night to forget.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Question for parson. How is Tyler magloire developing. Saw him play very well pre season at morcombe and looked like a real prospect then a week later really struggled against a poor Stockport side. Curios has to how he is coming along.

He's progressing well although for most of the season he has been with the Under-18's.  However, now that Matty Platt is out on loan he's getting more time with the Under-23's and, apart from tonight, has looked very comfortable at that level.  He's quick, good in the air and doesn't hold back in the tackle.