BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Bolton made a decision to keep big earners like Wheater, Clough (till big money move in January) and Vela, obviously worked out for them.

Can you see the likes of Mulgrew still being here next season?

Not a chance Mulgrew will stay IMO. Someone will take a punt despite his injury record - he's too good for the Championship on his day. Can't see Lenihan hanging round either. Struggle to see any of the others contracted having suitors queuing up.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

It would be a brave manager to put a few of these kids in as starters against Forest and Bristol C. Has TM got the guts to do it.

No doubt Bigdogsteel will once again remind me that now is not the time to be blooding youngsters.

Why wait until we are mathematically down? I think the Barnsley game showed us the true incompetence of the current oldies.

Let the youngsters have a crack for the next 5 games.

• Like 2

Just now, bazza said:

It would be a brave manager to put a few of these kids in as starters against Forest and Bristol C. Has TM got the guts to do it.

No doubt Bigdogsteel will once again remind me that now is not the time to be blooding youngsters.

Why wait until we are mathematically down? I think the Barnsley game showed us the true incompetence of the current oldies.

Spot on Barry.  We are approaching the point of no return and we must do something different.

Just now, bazza said:

I always said, if they are good enough, play them. I'm just not sure they are good enough if Mahoney is the best of them. I like Tomlinson from what I have seen, but he has already been blooded, so I would have no concerns putting him in. I would bring Ward and Stokes back in, so we don't have to just throw youngsters in for the sake of it. Don't forget that young footballers are pampered little brats these days by and large. I wouldn't be confident a team of them would be the answer at this stage. 

• Like 1

Got to have Raya, Nyambe, Mahoney, and Tomlinson  as well as Hoban, Ward, and Stokes. Got to keep Guthrie in as well.

Williams, too, seeing as he's about to collect Player of the year award.

I was impressed when Tomlinson and Mahoney played together at Ewood. Was that v Man Utd? They switched positions with each other beautifully.

All for giving youth a chance as long as it's done for the right reasons within the right structure and not just because of desperation because there is no other option due to mismanagement.

Have to say though that this season would Tomlinson or Wharton have offered more than say Brown and Lowe at first team level ?  It's a fair argument although hindsight is a wonderful thing but we've seen it all before time and time again with Lowe and it wasn't rocket science that Brown wouldn't be capable of offering much these days.

• Like 2

Tomlinson looked almost ready in preseason in 2015, so it's good to hear he's really progressing now.  Lowe isn't much of a footballer so I'd like to see Tomlinson on the pitch at some point over the weekend.

Steele has been worse than usual recently so Raya should be given another chance, I would have liked to see him given the chance at the start of the season as at least he should improve and Steele has been going backwards.

Mahoney, whilst still having a lot to learn, has played well since getting in the team and should be ahead of Feeny and Conway in my opinion, sure he makes mistakes but he created several chances on Saturday at least one should have been scored.

14 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Normally I'd be against throwing in youth players in such big games but the first team have been woeful and or central midfield options are abysmal.

Tomlinson certainly sounds like he's got the attributes we need. I say give him a go.

So who would you have playing alongside Tomlinson. Let's say 3 other midfielders. Serious question.

Choice of Mahoney (left or right); Guthrie, Conway, Feeney, Bennett, Akpan,  And, I suppose, Lowe.

Personally I'd like to see Mahoney left, Guthrie middle and Feeney right.

Up front who??  Gallagher, Joao, Stokes, Emnes? Away at Forest? I'd start with Gallagher with Bennett just behind. Bring Stokes on 2nd half.

Now I'm getting carried away.  Who would be a football manager?

7 hours ago, bazza said:

So who would you have playing alongside Tomlinson. Let's say 3 other midfielders. Serious question.

Choice of Mahoney (left or right); Guthrie, Conway, Feeney, Bennett, Akpan,  And, I suppose, Lowe.

Up front who??  Gallagher, Joao, Stokes, Emnes? Away at Forest? I'd start with Gallagher with Bennett just behind. Bring Stokes on 2nd half.

Guthrie, Bennett and Tomlinson in the middle with a winger either side.

9 hours ago, bazza said:

It would have to be Guthrie in the middle with him, Bennett in there too (depending on formation)

Mahoney and probably Feeney on the wings, Conway isn't playing well at the moment so needs to be dropped.

I think Joao and Emnes up front, with Emnes sitting a bit deeper.

Another cracking game of football tonight.  Both teams played attractive football and provided an excellent night's entertainment.  It was a real team effort with a number of excellent individual performances from the likes of Travis and Tomlinson.  Hendrie made a rare appearance at left-back and had a very good game.  These lads have been a joy to watch this season.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Another cracking game of football tonight.  Both teams played attractive football and provided an excellent night's entertainment.  It was a real team effort with a number of excellent individual performances from the likes of Travis and Tomlinson.  Hendrie made a rare appearance at left-back and had a very good game.  These lads have been a joy to watch this season.

Agreed.

Fulham were on top in the first half and I thought Rovers might take a battering, and their attempts at a long ball wasnt getting them anywhere.

Rovers game out with a different approach in the second half and Fulham didn't stand a change. Excellent passing play, fast attacks, and the Travis & Thomson attack down the right was too much for their LW & LB and great to watch.

Tomlinson had a great game. Reads the game very well and gets stuck in.

Great game, shame to let them steal a second goal at the death.

Edited by Leyland-Rover
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, duggy9197 said:

id rather the youngsters played than loanees unintrested.

In the old days loanees where always with a view to buy if they performed well but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore which kind of dilutes the credibility of the club for me along with the thousands of empty seats.

Edited by JAL

Thanks for the updates PB/LR. Great to hear so many positive things about the youngsters, particularly the influence of Johnson and Dunn. Also very heartening to hear that tactically they're consistently spot on too.

I've said before but I'd be more than happy to see Johnson having a crack next season in League One if Mowbray walks/is potted. Nobody is going to be a success under the V's, but at least in Johnson we have a man who is working wonders with the young lads; of which will be the lifeblood of the club next season.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1