BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

These young players are obviously not considered to be ready yet, they have numerous professional coaches, some of which have played at a very high standard, that work with them every day and I would imagine Mowbray gets regular reports on them too. They are far more informed than most to say player X,Y or Z is ready to step up to the first team. 

Plus this is League One and we need promotion. Not exactly a scenario I would want to throw a load of kids in, if they aren't ready.

• Like 1

Just now, donnermeat said:

These young players are obviously not considered to be ready yet, they have numerous professional coaches, some of which have played at a very high standard, that work with them every day and I would imagine Mowbray gets regular reports on them too. They are far more informed than most to say player X,Y or Z is ready to step up to the first team. 

Plus this is League One and we need promotion. Not exactly a scenario I would want to throw a load of kids in, if they aren't ready.

There's a quote in today's paper regarding Rashford but it could equally apply to all young players.

" It had taken an injury crisis at United under Van Gaal to thrust Rashford into the first team picture. " It does make you wonder, how many others are there out there ? " added Southgate. " I don't know, but kids need opportunity. When the opportunity presents itself you have to take it. He hasn't looked back, "

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a quote in today's paper regarding Rashford but it could equally apply to all young players.

" It had taken an injury crisis at United under Van Gaal to thrust Rashford into the first team picture. " It does make you wonder, how many others are there out there ? " added Southgate. " I don't know, but kids need opportunity. When the opportunity presents itself you have to take it. He hasn't looked back, "

You can even see wit posters here, people can't decide if they want the young players to get a chance here or not. It is a positive aspect of the Checktrade trophy that it appears to be a good way to transition players to the first team. If you are good enough, it shouldn't matter your age. Players are really being protected these days, unless they are just gifted freaks like Mbappe. Most young players take time to grow. I would definitely be open to Mowbray introducing 3-5 into the first team this year. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, donnermeat said:

But that's the thing these professional coaches....DD....DJ....are a little bemused as to what's going on....they both apparently told TM he needn't bother with Harper especially as they feel they have better players in the U23s already which are further on in their development and more than ready to be given a chance....it seems they are not being listend to...

And it's not about throwing loads of kids in it's about opportunities for OUR own kids being blocked by a player from another club who is no better.....

when Mahoney left why do you think it happened??.....he was blocked by loan signings from other clubs who shouldn't have been near the club....you will see similar instances as the Mahoney scenario come the end of the season again

our U23s play in a decent standard against top young players higher than the u23s at Bournmouth but clubs like Bournmouth, Burnley, Watford and so on have big budgets running into Millions just for their U23s and don't be surprised if some of our lads are cherry picked by such clubs just to play u23 football especially as they will look and see the pathway to the 1st team blocked by other clubs loaned youngsters

Edited by SkipDonoghue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

But that's the thing these professional coaches....DD....DJ....are a little bemused as to what's going on....they both apparently told TM he needn't bother with Harper especially as they feel they have better players in the U23s already which are further on in their development and more than ready to be given a chance....it seems they are not being listend to...

And it's not about throwing loads of kids in it's about opportunities for OUR own kids being blocked by a player from another club who is no better 

What is your source for this? I find it hard to believe 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why can't you just say where you heard it? 

I would have thought it obvious and others have heard the same.  This is the best crop of youngsters we've had since the likes of Dunny, Johnson, Duff, Taylor, Douglas were all coming through.  I suspect that these lads will eventually come through and enjoy good careers but, sadly, not at Ewood Park.  

28 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

And it's not about throwing loads of kids in it's about opportunities for OUR own kids being blocked by a player from another club who is no better.....

when Mahoney left why do you think it happened??.....he was blocked by loan signings from other clubs who shouldn't have been near the club....you will see similar instances as the Mahoney scenario come the end of the season again

our U23s play in a decent standard against top young players higher than the u23s at Bournmouth but clubs like Bournmouth, Burnley, Watford and so on have big budgets running into Millions just for their U23s and don't be surprised if some of our lads are cherry picked by such clubs just to play u23 football especially as they will look and see the pathway to the 1st team blocked by other clubs loaned youngsters

Are the reasons for this financial i.e. if the club start playing them in the 1st team it will trigger new contracts?

11 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Come on BDS, have a guess.

and to be clear, I believe Skip.

4 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I would have thought it obvious and others have heard the same.  This is the best crop of youngsters we've had since the likes of Dunny, Johnson, Duff, Taylor, Douglas were all coming through.  I suspect that these lads will eventually come through and enjoy good careers but, sadly, not at Ewood Park.  

I believe they are good players. What I don't believe is that Dunn and Lowe told Mowbray not to sign Harper. 

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

From what I hear Travis is probably the best RB we have yet never plays.

He's definitely worth a place on the bench (as he can play in a number of different positions) and a go in the 1st XI if Caddis/Nyambe aren't playing well. One of the best prospects in a team of good prospects.

12 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Skip seems to be well in with the academy/u23s so I believe him, he's got no reason to lie.

3 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Not Lowe!!!! He has no input with the u23s

Apologies, I read DL, when you said DJ. You were referring to Damien Johnson. I think the young players should get a chance. I just can't imagine the 2 lads telling Mowbray not to sign someone! 

20 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Are the reasons for this financial i.e. if the club start playing them in the 1st team it will trigger new contracts?

I know some lads will have clauses with regards to new contracts based on 1st team appearances it's 5 starts and 10 substitute appearances at Rovers it's a generic clause which is just standard with young players contracts it doesn't mean though that it's set in concrete if the players agent pushes for renegotiation he is within his and the players right but most agents will wait for the right moment before diving in as it could affect the players progress 

at Everton it's 1 start in the first team and the contract can be renegotiated...so it changes from club to club

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Apologies, I read DL, when you said DJ. You were referring to Damien Johnson. I think the young players should get a chance. I just can't imagine the 2 lads telling Mowbray not to sign someone! 

They offered their opinion on the lad and said we have better...I don't think for one minute they said don't sign him at the end of the day TM is their boss....it's up to him if he takes their advice or not

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

I know some lads will have clauses with regards to new contracts based on 1st team appearances it's 5 starts and 10 substitute appearances at Rovers it's a generic clause which is just standard with young players contracts it doesn't mean though that it's set in concrete if the players agent pushes for renegotiation he is within his and the players right but most agents will wait for the right moment before diving in as it could affect the players progress 

at Everton it's 1 start in the first team and the contract can be renegotiated...so it changes from club to club

It's a bit of an important season to be bedding in so many, I can understand the league experience argument, but you don't get that experience without a chance! Overall, I probably agree and can see why some (including myself) get frustrated seeing us sign Harper, Hart and Downing, when we've already got Tomlinson, Doyle and Wharton. At least Hart is of a decent age and on a permanent transfer.

With Nyambe, Lenihan and Raya still very green, another 2/3 young players in the starting 11, which could be bullied in this league.

Edited by Biz

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

So if it's not financial then why would Mowbray block the young lads progress?

I'm guessing he either doesn't think they are good enough and that Harper, for example, is better than what we have or some other more suspect reason? We'll see when Harper plays how good he is, but I've always thought Tomlinson was a good player (from the bits I've seen) and he's certainly a more imposing figure than he was two years ago.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

So if it's not financial then why would Mowbray block the young lads progress?

I'm guessing he either doesn't think they are good enough and that Harper, for example, is better than what we have or some other more suspect reason? We'll see when Harper plays how good he is, but I've always thought Tomlinson was a good player (from the bits I've seen) and he's certainly a more imposing figure than he was two years ago.

Rakeem Harper isn't a bad player for his age....all I'm saying is if he's good enough for Rovers 1st team so are Hardcastle...Tomlinson....Mols...Grayson...Travis....Rankin-Costello....etc

when you sign players for a specific area of the pitch in this case midfield the 1st question that should be asked is...is he better than what we've got?

im not sure that's the case with this one...