BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

On 20/09/2017 at 09:59, Leyland-Rover said:

The U18's are at home to Derby this weekend.

Can anybody go and watch this game? I've been to Brockholes before, to visit a friend who lives there, and just said the name of the house to the chap on the gate as he let me in. If I say I'm going to watch Rovers, will they let me through the gate?

I wouldn't go to Brockholes this time. Try Brockhall instead!   :-)

Brilliant tonight. Really enjoyable evening.

4-0 in the end and a missed penalty right at the end.

- Callum Wright with a screamer into the top corner

- A brave Nuttall finish which resulted in him being withdrawn (precautionary I heard in the stand)

- Lovely flicked finish on the end of a right wing cross from Rankin-Costello

- Well taken goal from Wright to wrap up the goals

- Should have been 5-0 with the penalty miss at the end, from R-C I think.

Time for some of these lads to be in and around the first team. Stefan Mols looked excellent, as did John Buckley. But just a really good team that Johnson and Dunn are fashioning. Maybe it's more about their CV than the players'. Wonder if any League One or Two teams might make an offer to Johnson if this keeps up...

Hard lines to Fulham's number 10 Isaac Pearce. Looked about 12 years old from where we were sat but was very nippy. Made a reckless and needless challenge on Fisher midway through the first half, and came off much the worse - metaphorically and literally. Must have been a broken leg and possibly fainted. Spent a good 10 minutes flat out on the deck before being stretchered off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

- A brave Nuttall finish which resulted in him being withdrawn (precautionary I heard in the stand)

Time for some of these lads to be in and around the first team. Stefan Mols looked excellent, as did John Buckley. But just a really good team that Johnson and Dunn are fashioning. Maybe it's more about their CV than the players'. Wonder if any League One or Two teams might make an offer to Johnson if this keeps up...

Hard lines to Fulham's number 10 Isaac Pearce. Looked about 12 years old from where we were sat but was very nippy. Made a reckless and needless challenge on Fisher midway through the first half, and came off much the worse - metaphorically and literally. Must have been a broken leg and possibly fainted. Spent a good 10 minutes flat out on the deck before being stretchered off.

It doesn't look like any of these lads will get a chance with Mowbray in charge.I Don't understand it,he is happy to bring in a 17 year old from west brom but won't reward our own youth despite their excellent form.The telegraph should be grilling him about this

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Hope the kids ok.

I think it's time to get some of our young prospects on the bench at least for the next game. It might just be the spark and competition needed to get our first teamers to pull their fingers out.

Excellent night's entertainment at Leyland - what a difference from watching the boring stuff that the first team produced on Saturday.  A few of the regulars - Doyle, Tomlinson, Hardcastle and Grayson were out tonight due to injury or suspension and yet the young lads who stepped in - some barely 18 - produced the goods.  Johnson and Dunn have been getting this sort of fast flowing, attacking football out of the lads for twelve months or more now and seem the perfect combination in terms of coaching and management.  I thought the Fulham 'keeper was lucky to stay on the pitch for the assault on Nuttall.  I felt very sorry for the young Fulham lad who was injured in the first half.  He was still laid out in the treatment room as we were coming off at the end of the game and the ambulance had only just arrived to take him to hospital.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That's my worry about Johnno, he's not going to hang around with the kids for ever. The likes of Oldham will be sniffing around before too long.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

It's getting to the point where I would be disappointed if we gave the 1st team job to anyone but Johnson if Mowbray leaves.

some while ago we joked on here about Johnson or Dunn or both getting the next manager job!

Now we are begging for it!

An astonishing example of the dumbing down in expectations Venkys have brought about in our once-great Club.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

some while ago we joked on here about Johnson or Dunn or both getting the next manager job!

An astonishing example of the dumbing down in expectations Venkys have brought about in our once-great Club.

Does the guy not deserve his chance if the position becomes available? 

Sounds like you would be on his back from the get go, regardless of the stellar job he is/has done with the under 23s

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Well, tbf, they've got the U23s winning and playing some really good football against their counterparts from other clubs (at a higher level).

All managers start somewhere. Our problem has been less about giving new managers a chance and more about giving failing managers too long.

• Like 2

Its a gamble(or would be) which we all hope would pay off. But if we keep plundering the lower down areas of the club then that becomes the next area to fix.

Its true what I said though isn't it? We did joke about them getting the job. The danger is they'll disappoint through no fault of their own and we'll have stuffed up the youth set-up as well.

We are doing this because of an unerring Venky ability not to find the right manager in the first place. Not because someone has decided Johnson has earned the berth.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Does the guy not deserve his chance if the position becomes available? 

Sounds like you would be on his back from the get go, regardless of the stellar job he is/has done with the under 23s

I gave my opinion. Your's is personal, as always, provocative and rubbish.

As to whether he deserves the job or not that would depend on who applied and won on merit, in a real club. This annointing of the successor from within is not the way to do it.

However, I'd give him a chance just like I have all the others (apart from Kean and Coyle.)

Just now, 47er said:

I gave my opinion. Your's is personal, as always, provocative and rubbish.

As to whether he deserves the job or not that would depend on who applied and won on merit, in a real club. This annointing of the successor from within is not the way to do it.

However, I'd give him a chance just like I have all the others (apart from Kean and Coyle.)

There's appointing nonentities like Kean and Lowe from inside the Club and then there's appointing somebody with a proven record of success playing entertaining football. I'd have had Johnno and Dunny over Coyle any day of the week.

5 hours ago, 47er said:

Its a gamble(or would be) which we all hope would pay off. But if we keep plundering the lower down areas of the club then that becomes the next area to fix.

Its true what I said though isn't it? We did joke about them getting the job. The danger is they'll disappoint through no fault of their own and we'll have stuffed up the youth set-up as well.

We are doing this because of an unerring Venky ability not to find the right manager in the first place. Not because someone has decided Johnson has earned the berth.

Don't really disagree with you. The difference is that I don't think my expectations have lowered. I think their talent profile has been raised.

If it's them or a proven Championship manager or successful League One manager then they would probably be second choice just now but it's a definite second and not last resort.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Don't really disagree with you. The difference is that I don't think my expectations have lowered. I think their talent profile has been raised.

If it's them or a proven Championship manager or successful League One manager then they would probably be second choice just now but it's a definite second and not last resort.

We've certainly got a ready made caretaker management team in place if something happens to Mowbray.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We've certainly got a ready made caretaker management team in place if something happens to Mowbray.

The pathetic thing is knowing venkys it will be David Lowe who is given the caretaker role.

I'd like to see Johnson being given a chance but with the way the club is being run he may not want it.A young manager has to make the right choice when taking their first job in senior football and he may feel he is better waiting for a club with a competent board and structure behind it

• Like 1

22 hours ago, islander200 said:

The pathetic thing is knowing venkys it will be David Lowe who is given the caretaker role.

I'd like to see Johnson being given a chance but with the way the club is being run he may not want it.A young manager has to make the right choice when taking their first job in senior football and he may feel he is better waiting for a club with a competent board and structure behind it

I would say he would take it in a heartbeat! Would be crazy not to, its a logical continuation of the great work he is doing with the under 23s.

Hopefully he wont be offered it anytime soon though, as both him and ToMo are doing well!