BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

19 minutes ago, philipl said:

Huddersfield lost A status for their Academy and six players decamped immediately to Man U.

Did they lose it or was it a planned move by them? Not informed on them so dont know but i heard they were going to drop their academy anyway.

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

Huddersfield lost A status for their Academy and six players decamped immediately to Man U.

It was a planned move on the part of Huddersfield.  They have opted to scrap everything below their Under-18 team, presumably with a view to spending more on the senior squad.  It will be interesting to see if any of those players picked up by United actually make it or are among the usual crop at United who are released after a couple of seasons of youth team football.

Here's an interesting article in the Guardian regarding club youth players; https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/06/football-biggest-issue-boys-rejected-academies?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Fiver+2016&utm_term=246909&subid=6923483&CMP=EMCFTBEML853#comment-106370893

It mentions Huddersfield who have indeed scrapped their u8-u16 set up. They did an extensive review and found that the last person who played in those age groups for Huddersfield who then went on to play in the Premier League was Rovers own Jon Stead, in 1999.

Relating this to Rovers, I don't see how the club can keep funding a cat 1 academy that isn't producing players. No manager installed at Ewood would be willing to bring up youngsters, they want proven players who are known commodities.

Good article. There is no doubt in my mind that the clubs have a massive responsibility in offering some sort of educational program for the youngsters while they play football. Football is important but it cannot be the only thing in a young persons life.

Edited by DanielMB

• Backroom

Currently 3-3 v Cardiff 

Rovers have led 3 times and conceded soon after each time it seems 

2 and a missed penalty for Nuttall and a stunner for Butterworth it sounds like 

The Cardiff full back has a hattrick 

Edited by Tom

• Backroom

It's really grinding my gears how Nuttall isn't getting a sniff. He's scoring every bloody week, what more does he have to do? It's absolutely criminal!!

He's on a one year contract, he'll be snapped up in a heartbeat in summer. 

We wouldn't have scored vs Oldham if we were playing until Christmas! If he doesn't get in the side at weekend I'll be fuming!

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Madon said:

It's really grinding my gears how Nuttall isn't getting a sniff. He's scoring every bloody week, what more does he have to do? It's absolutely criminal!!

He's on a one year contract, he'll be snapped up in a heartbeat in summer. 

We wouldn't have scored vs Oldham if we were playing until Christmas! If he doesn't get in the side at weekend I'll be fuming!

Totally agree, strike while the iron is hot and get him in, none of our strikers have owned their place so let him loose.

Under 23s play again Friday, no doubt he will play again then and not be in Saturdays squad.

Thing is you could put Nuttall in the side, but what would you expect him to do?

If that midfield 4 that played on Saturday are behind him he probably wouldn't get a touch of the ball, then everyone advocating him would be saying he's clearly not ready should have left him with the U23's etc.

I could understand it if we had created 30 chances at Oldham and missed them all, then yes by all means bring him in to finish the moves off, but on Saturday we missed an open goal, and had one long range effort that came off the bar. Don't think anything else was created at all?!

• Like 3

Perhaps we should use the under 23's and management team for the next chuck it away trade game. I know that would lead to a fine, but if that proves that they are a better side than the first team, it will be worth the fine.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:19, MarkBRFC said:

Thing is you could put Nuttall in the side, but what would you expect him to do?

If that midfield 4 that played on Saturday are behind him he probably wouldn't get a touch of the ball, then everyone advocating him would be saying he's clearly not ready should have left him with the U23's etc.

I could understand it if we had created 30 chances at Oldham and missed them all, then yes by all means bring him in to finish the moves off, but on Saturday we missed an open goal, and had one long range effort that came off the bar. Don't think anything else was created at all?!

That's true, but apparently we created '35 goalscoring opportunities' the other night*. Someone should have been able to finish at least one more.  

*We didn't.

On 17/10/2017 at 11:19, MarkBRFC said:

Look at it this way...

83 minutes on the clock, and it’s 1-1 Against the worst team in this division. You really don’t see an option in there?

BFE5F1E6-921F-4515-B604-D751AD94665C.jpeg

I am fascinated to see who plays for the U23's tonight.

The rovers preview states that it'll be a young squad with the first team fixtures tomorrow, and Wharton likely to feature again.

I'm going to the Fleetwood game and I'm tempted to go and watch tonight just to see who ISNT there.

Would love to be a fly on the wall of D Johnson's office right now. 

Edited by Leyland-Rover