BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Good performance tonight at Prenton Park in the 1st Round of the FA Youth Cup.  We ought to have won by a more convincing margin but, rather like the first team, couldn't turn possession into goals despite creating a number of chances.  Jack Vale looked very impressive on the right and the likes of Buckley and Wright performed well.  Butterworth missed a few chances which he normally puts away but, nonetheless, a very enjoyable game of football.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Good news. Always thought he looked a good 'un from the bits I've seen. Hopefully he's got over the 'personal problems' Mowbray gave as the reason for not having him in the 1st team squad.

Do you rate him?

Good lad, watched him quite a few times with the u23s and the consensus around me is that its about time he had a chance in the first team squad, especially given some of the dollopers we've seen come and go in the last 2-3 years.

Makes some of the transfer business more baffling when we're signing Harper from WBA on loan when I think Tomlinson has demonstrated enough over the last couple of years to warrant a proper opportunity.

Mowbray did give him a couple of cameo appearances at the end of last season in a higher division when we were fighting for our lives so seems strange he isn't now prepared to throw him in when we're a league lower and have more room to manoeuvre.

Mowbray alluded to some 'personal' issues earlier this season as the reason he hadn't featured for some time so good to see he seems to have come through the other side of that.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From what little I've seen of Tomlinson I think there's a decent player there.

I'd give him a game tomorrow instead of Evans if he's fully fit.

I presume he will be eligible to play? He has been serving a 3 match ban but I imagine he can count tonight's under 23 game as the third and therefore be available to play tomorrow?

8 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I presume he will be eligible to play? He has been serving a 3 match ban but I imagine he can count tonight's under 23 game as the third and therefore be available to play tomorrow?

I don't think u23 bans count for the first team anyway.

U23s beating Watford 3-0 55 minutes in, does anyone really think that Johnson would do any worse than Mowbray? Or does anyone think that Mowbray would be getting results like this if he was the u23 manager?

Edit: 5-0, 61 minutes gone :lol:

Edited by RV Blue

Finished 6-1 Mowbray watched all game again from balcony he cant help but be impressed by the way they have got them playing I thought 6-1 flattered Watford  could easily been double figures ,the personnel keep changing but the results and performances keep coming.

Another excellent performance despite a number of regulars missing.  The quality of the football is outstanding and a joy to watch.  Watching this squad of players is so much more entertaining than watching the senior squad.  Watford were totally outplayed in the second half and were fortunate to only concede six.  Johnson and Dunn are doing fantastic work with these players.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

Finished 6-1 Mowbray watched all game again from balcony he cant help but be impressed by the way they have got them playing I thought 6-1 flattered Watford  could easily been double figures ,the personnel keep changing but the results and performances keep coming.

Its good that Mowbray is attending these guys. 

Did Tomlinson play? If so.how did he play? How did Mansell play?

Its time that Wharton, Travis, Doyle starting coming through

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Another excellent performance despite a number of regulars missing.  The quality of the football is outstanding and a joy to watch.  Watching this squad of players is so much more entertaining than watching the senior squad.  Watford were totally outplayed in the second half and were fortunate to only concede six.  Johnson and Dunn are doing fantastic work with these players.

Do you think Johnson would do a worse job than what Mowbray is doing?

41 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Do you think Johnson would do a worse job than what Mowbray is doing?

Difficult to say.  Johnson and Dunn have been working with these players for two seasons now and before that these lads played together at Under-18 and Under-16 levels and so know each other's game particularly well.  The last twelve months has seen a tremendous improvement in the quality of football that these lads play but it hasn't happened overnight.  It's been a process which has taken time but is now reaping the dividends of that patience.  Would supporters be prepared to wait for another twelve months whilst Johnson and Dunny worked a similar approach with senior players?  In the long term I believe Johnson and Dunn will be an excellent management team - much like Kenny and Ray - as they compliment each other so well.