BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

22 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He was totally anonymous last night.  Seen him a few times when he has looked good but last night nobody played up to their normal form.

Disappointing result, but according to the official twitter and Rich Sharpes report it sounds like they missed enough chances to win 3 games in the 2nd half alone 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

16 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’ve given you some researched detail which shows it wasn’t the wrong move. He is a more established Championship player than anyone Mowbray has taken a look at.

All it shows is that he has played more games than some fringe players, some of whom are barely worth mentioning and some of whom are younger.

Mahoney appeared to be on the cusp of truly breaking through here. I think he'd have played a lot of games last season. We will never know because he has gone to a Premier League club to live the loanly life.

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

All it shows is that he has played more games than some fringe players, some of whom are barely worth mentioning and some of whom are younger.

Mahoney appeared to be on the cusp of truly breaking through here. I think he'd have played a lot of games last season. We will never know because he has gone to a Premier League club to live the loanly life.

The ages of each are very similar. This was part of the point. Barely worth mentioning? That would have had to have bee your opinion of Mahoney if he had stayed.

He would have been back in the ressies under Mowbray. We know this because it has happened to everyone else. The only exception is Nyambe who had already established himself before Mowbray arrived.

56 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Im not sure he would, think hes overrated due to being local, he fell out of the 18 by the end of the season he left at the end of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

The ages of each are very similar. This was part of the point. Barely worth mentioning? That would have had to have bee your opinion of Mahoney if he had stayed.

He would have been back in the ressies under Mowbray. We know this because it has happened to everyone else. The only exception is Nyambe who had already established himself before Mowbray arrived.

No, that wouldn't have been my opinion. I rated Mahoney highly. Yes, barely worth mentioning, like Platt. Tomlinson and Hardcastle are worth mentioning, because they've seemed like they could have been on the cusp at times, but neither really featured with the first team close to as much as Mahoney did.

What you're forgetting with your stats is that Mahoney featured 14 times in the season we went down, mostly under Mowbray, in a higher league than the one we dropped to, aged nearly 2 years younger than he is now. I feel TM can be too cautious with his youth, but it really seemed to me he did rate Mahoney enough that he would have become a regular last year and into this season. At the club he purports to support.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

No, that wouldn't have been my opinion. I rated Mahoney highly. Yes, barely worth mentioning, like Platt. Tomlinson and Hardcastle are worth mentioning, because they've seemed like they could have been on the cusp at times, but neither really featured with the first team close to as much as Mahoney did.

What you're forgetting with your stats is that Mahoney featured 14 times in the season we went down, mostly under Mowbray, in a higher league than the one we dropped to, aged nearly 2 years younger than he is now. I feel TM can be too cautious with his youth, but it really seemed to me he did rate Mahoney enough that he would have become a regular last year and into this season. At the club he purports to support.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. In my view Mahoney would have been back in the reserves or out on loan.

The games he played were when his contract was running down and Mowbray wanted him to sign a new deal. Same thing happened with Nuttall. He got a real sustained first team run and signed a new contract. Then as soon as one of Mowbray’s signings was fit again he was dropped despite being in form.

‘Too cautious’ is being very kind in my view.

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. In my view Mahoney would have been back in the reserves or out on loan.

The games he played were when his contract was running down and Mowbray wanted him to sign a new deal. Same thing happened with Nuttall. He got a real sustained first team run and signed a new contract. Then as soon as one of Mowbray’s signings was fit again he was dropped despite being in form.

Nuttall was competing with a few players for one position though. Mahoney players in a position where he would have gotten more games 

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think Mahoney should have stay here and developed himself here. 

I think Mowbray would have played him alot and now we would have good talent player here. I think he will regret it but good luck to him. he deserved to do well and I wish him the best. 

I think Mowbray stop playing him due to him not signing a new contract

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Mahoney should have stay here and developed himself here. 

I think Mowbray would have played him alot and now we would have good talent player here. I think he will regret it but good luck to him. he deserved to do well and I wish him the best. 

I think Mowbray stop playing him due to him not signing a new contract

Don’t over-think it!

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Nuttall with 8 goals in 4 games now, does he deserve a chance with the first team again?

Is this Lyons kid any good?

I’d play Nutts against the Barcodes. I suspect Brereton will instead get his first start.

Fine result for the u-23s. I know Arsenal were off-form lately but seems our lads might be finally finding their feet. They may not do so well after the January loan-outs though.

Lyons continues to be a bit of a mystery of a signing to me, largely due to his age when we got him, and his position. When you sign someone aged 21, you expect them to be a squad player at least. With only experience of the Northern Irish league, that never seemed likely this season. Loaning him to St Mirren seems fairly sensible to me, but where do we find ourselves with him next season? Seems he will have to step it up a fair bit. We are very heavy squad-wise in that area. I don't know why we needed another 'body'. Maybe the U-23s needed support due to starting so badly...if that's why he was bought it'd be strange to send him on loan already.

Maybe this is one of those deals which will look a lot clearer in a year.

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

Nuttall with 8 goals in 4 games now, does he deserve a chance with the first team again?

Is this Lyons kid any good?

Nuttall has played exceptionally well now in the last three games after looking pretty indifferent prior to that.  I believe that Mowbray had a chat and since then he has been outstanding.  I suspect he's trying to get the loan move he needs in January.  Hopefully, he'll come back next reason ready to challenge for a first team spot.

Lyons has been very impressive since coming from Ireland in the summer.  A tough tackling, box to box midfielder who looks to have the potential to make the grade.  Still a lot to learn but has made rapid progress since his arrival.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Nuttall has played exceptionally well now in the last three games after looking pretty indifferent prior to that.  I believe that Mowbray had a chat and since then he has been outstanding.  I suspect he's trying to get the loan move he needs in January.  Hopefully, he'll come back next reason ready to challenge for a first team spot.

Lyons has been very impressive since coming from Ireland in the summer.  A tough tackling, box to box midfielder who looks to have the potential to make the grade.  Still a lot to learn but has made rapid progress since his arrival.

Maybe we should do the same with Brereton.