BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I noticed at one point last night we had Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Nuttall on the pitch.

Great to see.

Probably the 1960s when that last happened. Although someone with a better memory than me will no doubt point out it has happened multiple times since.

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is criticised for not playing enough Academy lads (possibly with merit) but what can't be denied is that the Academy system is working. Having the likes of Nyambe, Raya, Lenihan and Travis as regular first teamers is testament to the job that the people running the Academy have done. For a club in a highly competitive area for youth recruitment it is hugely impressive. The system at Brockhall obviously works.

Now we also have the likes of Butterworth being slowly integrated into the 1st team squad. I think Sharpe in the LT hinted that Wharton may start to be included again and that is why Downing has been allowed to leave.

Maintaining the Cat 1 status and developing our own players is going to be vital for us financially. The Academy should pay for itself through the money it saves us in the transfer market. 

This is the sort of club I'd like us to be ( like  Newall's Old Boys ) !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is criticised for not playing enough Academy lads (possibly with merit) but what can't be denied is that the Academy system is working. Having the likes of Nyambe, Raya, Lenihan and Travis as regular first teamers is testament to the job that the people running the Academy have done. For a club in a highly competitive area for youth recruitment it is hugely impressive. The system at Brockhall obviously works.

Now we also have the likes of Butterworth being slowly integrated into the 1st team squad. I think Sharpe in the LT hinted that Wharton may start to be included again and that is why Downing has been allowed to leave.

Maintaining the Cat 1 status and developing our own players is going to be vital for us financially. The Academy should pay for itself through the money it saves us in the transfer market. 

Good post though it’s the recruitment of these young lads and not the academy which I think is working hence Brentford and Huddersfield seem to be going down the route of picking off Tier one youngsters released.

Travis joined us from Liverpool a few years ago, same with Butterworth from Man Utd.

Raya and Mols came from Cornella and Lenihan from and Irish team at 16.

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Good post though it’s the recruitment of these young lads and not the academy which I think is working hence Brentford and Huddersfield seem to be going down the route of picking off Tier one youngsters released.

Travis joined us from Liverpool a few years ago, same with Butterworth from Man Utd.

Raya and Mols came from Cornella and Lenihan from and Irish team at 16.

I did say it was the system that was working. I'm aware of where Travis and Butterworth came from. We're picking up the ones that the big clubs in the area discard and then developing them. 

Butterworth was fantastic this evening. So was Buckley. Mols was quiet.

Magloire had a great game also, playing to the right of a three for the most part. Captain on the night too. Downing and Platt were very comfortable.

Excellent first half. Quick and attacking, ball being pinged about.

Second half was a bit of a non-event. Not sure Sheffield had a shot all game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Magloire played really well. Butterworth was excellent as was Buckley.

I think Buckley is one to watch. Serious potential this lad

They were both so quick and tidy with their feet.

Nasty challenge on Butterworth, didn’t you think?

10 minutes ago, Stuart said:

They were both so quick and tidy with their feet.

Nasty challenge on Butterworth, didn’t you think?

TBH I missed it.

I've never seen Buckley have a bad game. He is brilliant when he is under pressure, and never gives the ball away. He also has a brilliant positional sense. He always finds the space between players so he is rarely under pressure and can pick a pass. He will also get stuck in and put a tackle in. He has played rb ,rw and cm and excelled in all roles

Butterworth has a touch of the dickovs about him but with dribbling in his armoury. I love watching him get his head down and run at players and when not in possession he harrasses the opposition defenders. Good energy.

I watched magloire away at morcombe in the first team and he looked a real prospect. He's had a few injuries but tonight he showed signs he's getting back to that level albeit against weaker opposition. I also saw a Stockport county team run rings round him but he definitely has ability.

I don't know who missed that first half sitter but that was some miss

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2