BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Might it be that we’re not signing centre backs because we’re going to promote a couple in quick succession?

A bit like how Jones and Hanley were introduced only a few months apart?

We have churned out decent defenders, mostly, from our youth system in recent years. Aside from Jones and Hanley we've had Lenihan, Nyambe, O'Connell (god that was a stupid sale), Travis (originally a right back yeh?). At one point Henley even looked a player, briefly. We currently have fringe or potential in the likes of Wharton, Platt, Grayson, Magloire.

Seems like defenders have the best chance of breaking into the team from the academy. Only exceptions I think have been Travis (after converting, and nearly didn't get the chance to properly break through), Mahoney and arguably Nuttall (don't really count him the same as Travis...we picked them both up from other clubs but Nuttall was a fair bit older when we did I think, and made first team appearances quickly). I suppose if we are going back as far as Jones and Hanley there was also Hoilett.

Edited by bluebruce

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

We have churned out decent defenders, mostly, from our youth system in recent years. Aside from Jones and Hanley we've had Lenihan, Nyambe, O'Connell (god that was a stupid sale), Travis (originally a right back yeh?). At one point Henley even looked a player, briefly. We currently have fringe or potential in the likes of Wharton, Platt, Grayson, Magloire.

Seems like defenders have the best chance of breaking into the team from the academy. Only exceptions I think have been Travis (after converting, and nearly didn't get the chance to properly break through), Mahoney and arguably Nuttall (don't really count him the same as Travis...we picked them both up from other clubs but Nuttall was a fair bit older when we did I think, and made first team appearances quickly). I suppose if we are going back as far as Jones and Hanley there was also Hoilett.

Picked up Travis from Liverpool and Lenihan from elsewhere....

17 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Terrific performance last night from all concerned - a real team performance.  Down at their place earlier in the season we were hammered but last night you could see just how much we have improved over the season.  Of course, going down to ten didn't help Leicester but, in fairness, we were already in the lead and looking very impressive.

Tyler gets better with every game as does young Buckley in midfield.  Butterworth, who didn't score, is another Speedie, constantly causing problems for the opposition with a fiery style of play.  Mols looked back to his best after the injury and Joe had his best game since his long lay-off through injury.

The new lad looked very comfortable when he came on as did Saadi who has really improved over the last few months.  

Our youth set-up certainly seems to be making real progress at the moment in terms of developing young players who look full of promise. 

Thanks for the information PB. Do you think that any of the players you have mentioned are ready for a first team game yet (or perhaps a regular spot on the bench)?

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Thanks for the information PB. Do you think that any of the players you have mentioned are ready for a first team game yet (or perhaps a regular spot on the bench)?

Possibly towards the end of the season if we are mid-table (which I expect) we might see one or two given the chance to see if they are ready.  For me I'd have Danny Butterworth in over Brereton at the moment.  In fact last night we were discussing Brereton and playing him in the under-23's but we came to the conclusion that he might struggle to get a place at the moment because of the speed at which the Under-23's play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Picked up Travis from Liverpool and Lenihan from elsewhere....

I said we got Travis from elsewhere, and I know we pick up people who left other clubs, but if they've been here a while before playing in the first team then I consider them home grown. Lenihan was at Rovers nearly 4 years before he played for the first team. We developed him, and my point was about how we develop youth players. Not just how we develop people who have been with us since 10. Ultimately you get every player from someone else, that's half the point of grass roots football.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Possibly towards the end of the season if we are mid-table (which I expect) we might see one or two given the chance to see if they are ready.  For me I'd have Danny Butterworth in over Brereton at the moment.  In fact last night we were discussing Brereton and playing him in the under-23's but we came to the conclusion that he might struggle to get a place at the moment because of the speed at which the Under-23's play.

That's damning, I hope you're wrong. If Brereton is a worse player than Nuttall and Butterworth then we really have dropped a bollock with this one.

You're inferring he might be worse than one or two of the other attackers too? I can't quite tell.

16 hours ago, Mike E said:

Might it be that we’re not signing centre backs because we’re going to promote a couple in quick succession?

A bit like how Jones and Hanley were introduced only a few months apart?

You could also say it shows we never invest in centre backs and have to make do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Would you play Butterworth over nuttall ?

I would

18 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Would you play Butterworth over nuttall ?

I would

Different players.  Butterworth is a player who likes to support the main striker - rather like Dack.  Nuttall is more of a Danny Graham type striker.  If it was understudying Dack I'd pick Butterworth everytime but if it's understudying Graham I'd favour Nuttall.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Different players.  Butterworth is a player who likes to support the main striker - rather like Dack.  Nuttall is more of a Danny Graham type striker.  If it was understudying Dack I'd pick Butterworth everytime but if it's understudying Graham I'd favour Nuttall.

Do you think Nuttall will ever be smart enough to play a Danny Graham type role Parson ? Just asking, I know it's early days yet.

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

And if you needed someone to impersonate a donkey you'd favour Brereton?

(Just kidding before anyone jumps on me)

Johnno...

“Throughout my career I have never known a first team manager attend so many games. So he has a real awareness of the group and the qualities within it and knows them as well as I do.

We know that he will give them opportunities, we know that from the couple of years he has been with us. The carrot is there for them.”

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17410789.mowbray-has-dangled-the-carrot-to-rovers-rising-stars/

20 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Agree with all of this. Especially the last sentence.

I think that's really good. The role Johnno has at the club can be a real arse kicking job. Your best players can be called up to the first team squad or loaned out at critical points in the season.  Maintaining a team structure and a coherent style of play can be difficult In that case.  It's vital that the bloke in charge knows he has the full support of the manager. I see Johnno as a real asset to the Club and I wonder how much longer we can keep hold of him. 

I know we are playing at a lower level but it's a while since we had such a good crop of decent players coming through and Johnno must take the credit for a lot of that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1