BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

20 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

other news: last season’s captain hardcastle has gone out on loan again and fisher too. Hardcastle reminds me a lot of Travis 

Is Hardcastle still looking like a prospect? Or is he more being loaned out to help him find a club after his contract expires (which I think it does in May)? Had a quick gander at a Port Vale forum and sounds like he was never really given a chance there and may have been brought in more as injury cover than being near the first team. Now off to the National League, which isn't too promising... His name comes up occasionally, yet he's never actually made our bench.

Difficult conditions at Southport last night and a draw was probably a fair result.  First half was fairly even with both sides having problems with the blustery conditions and a heavy and bobbly pitch.  We had the better of the chances and Vale was unfortunate to have a goal ruled out for offside - which was a very tight decision.  

We started the second half on the front foot and took the lead after some brilliant play by young Buckley.  However, as the half progressed we started to run out of steam a little as it looked as if playing two games in the space of four days had caught up with us.

Nonetheless, it was a decent performance against a side who have already beaten us twice this season.  Joe Rankin-Costello, Buckley and Mols had excellent matches but, once again, it was a real team performance.

We now need Everton to do us a favour and take something from their last match against Sheffield whilst we need to beat Doncaster if we are to progress to the knock-out stages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Difficult conditions at Southport last night and a draw was probably a fair result.  First half was fairly even with both sides having problems with the blustery conditions and a heavy and bobbly pitch.  We had the better of the chances and Vale was unfortunate to have a goal ruled out for offside - which was a very tight decision.  

We started the second half on the front foot and took the lead after some brilliant play by young Buckley.  However, as the half progressed we started to run out of steam a little as it looked as if playing two games in the space of four days had caught up with us.

Nonetheless, it was a decent performance against a side who have already beaten us twice this season.  Joe Rankin-Costello, Buckley and Mols had excellent matches but, once again, it was a real team performance.

We now need Everton to do us a favour and take something from their last match against Sheffield whilst we need to beat Doncaster if we are to progress to the knock-out stages.

Do Everton need to take something, or are they already through?

On 08/02/2019 at 17:40, arbitro said:

The talk is about John Pittard who is Rovers most ardent supporter. And to support that statement I can tell you that he hasn't missed a game since 1973. That includes friendlies and testimonials..

Personally I think the club should recognise incredible loyalty like that.

Venkys could pay his airfare for a start!

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

We have some serious talent in the under 23s. Very excited.

Mols, Rankin-Costello, Piliukautis, Butterworth, Vale all look brilliant.

Hopefully Tony gets them a game towards the end of the season.

Did Piliukaitis play? Looked like he stayed on the bench.

8 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

Is Hardcastle still looking like a prospect? Or is he more being loaned out to help him find a club after his contract expires (which I think it does in May)? Had a quick gander at a Port Vale forum and sounds like he was never really given a chance there and may have been brought in more as injury cover than being near the first team. Now off to the National League, which isn't too promising... His name comes up occasionally, yet he's never actually made our bench.

Needs a chance me thinks. We had severa players out on loan but used sparingly

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Did the u-23s play in the whatever-it's-called trophy (used to be LDV Vans ages ago, I forget the current sponsor)? I thought as a top category academy we went into it if we weren't league one or below.

We didn't get invited to play in this years competition. The ins and outs of why I am unsure about.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Did the u-23s play in the whatever-it's-called trophy (used to be LDV Vans ages ago, I forget the current sponsor)? I thought as a top category academy we went into it if we weren't league one or below.

The U23s were invited into that competition the season before last when they started with this ridiculous scheme of bringing academy sides into it, because many of the Premier League clubs declined the opportunity. Then when we were relegated to League One we had to enter our 'senior' team and swiftly exited the competition at the group stage. This season we could have been invited into it as an academy again but it seems we were either overlooked or declined the opportunity. I'm not sure what merit there would be in declining to take part as most of the biggest clubs are now participating, so it seems we were overlooked whilst inferior academy sides like Stoke and West Brom (also Championship clubs) were invited in ahead of us.

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think it is and allways has been the Lancashire Senior Cup one of the oldest cup  competitions in football

A really tough game today against a strong Stanley team.  The lads did remarkably well to pull this out of the bag with virtually the last kick of the game to bring the scores level - much to the annoyance of Coleman who had a real rant at the referee and continued it long after the game had been decided on penalties.

In fairness, the lads looked jaded in the second half after a tough week but a piece of magic by Danny Butterworth enabled Thompson to snatch the late, late equaliser.  Albinson made the vital save from Nolan - who played in a few games for Rovers on trial a couple of years back.

Hopefully the lads will get some time to recover before returning to Southport next week for another tough game against Everton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

I think it is and allways has been the Lancashire Senior Cup one of the oldest cup  competitions in football

No that's a different competition.

I think this one is officially called the Football League Trophy or something (except for when it's sponsored). It's available to all League One and League Two teams, and in the last three seasons, some category one academies.

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No that's a different competition.

I think this one is officially called the Football League Trophy or something (except for when it's sponsored). It's available to all League One and League Two teams, and in the last three seasons, some category one academies.

programm says lancashire fa senior cup

http://www.lancashirefa.com/cups-and-competitions/cups/2018-2019/senior-cup

Edited by had.e.nuff

20 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

bluebruce is on about the Checkatrade trophy. You're on about the Lancs Senior Cup. You're on about different competitions.  I've only got involved because it was annoying me?

I did try saying! But yeh checkatrade, that's the current sponsor I couldn't remember, cheers. The EFL Trophy is the real name.

• Backroom

I like to think that our academy side getting a win over Stanley reflects well on the standards of our youth setup, rather than reflecting badly on Stanley.

Question to more knowledgeable posters: Did Travis truly ‘stand out’ at u23 level, because he certainly has in his senior matches. Maybe some more of them really are due a call-up?

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1