BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

So does Johnson know how to play Brezza and Mowbray doesn’t?

Or are the opposition just so inferior they make him look good?

I watched the game at Doncaster last week and Brereton, although he scored a couple, didn't look anything special and at times was so easily knocked off the ball - and Doncaster were fielding a number of their Under-18's in that game.  For me, he needs to spend time with the Under-23's and needs to build his upper body strength if he is going to be competitive in the Championship.  We tend to forget that he is still very young and his game is still in its development stage and far from the finished article.

12 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Give Johnson the top job!!

How long have I been saying that ?    Move Mowbray up stairs, get Venus blowing the balls up and Lowe putting out the cones. I was only saying to my son yesterday " Rochdale could do a lot worse than appoint Johnno now they've sacked Keith Hill. " We started the season really badly, losing game after game. He's turned it around and that's after seeing a lot of his best players loaned out. The lad's a winner.

Knowing our luck the Chokers would sack Mowbray and appoint one of their long list of under achievers  in his place.

People just don't realise how hard being second team manager can be,

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How long have I been saying that ?    Move Mowbray up stairs, get Venus blowing the balls up and Lowe putting out the cones. I was only saying to my son yesterday " Rochdale could do a lot worse than appoint Johnno now they've sacked Keith Hill. "

People just don't realise how hard being second team manager can be,

There is a world of difference between that level and senior level.  Johnson himself will tell you that at Under-23 level winning is not as important as player development.  This season it wasn't until October until we won our first League game, and we weren't playing particularly well, which would have meant Johnson would have got the same stick as Mowbray for the present run. 

I have no doubt that Johnson will make a decent manager one day if that is what he wants or he may see his career more as a coach of younger players and helping them to develop. 

1 minute ago, Parsonblue said:

There is a world of difference between that level and senior level.  Johnson himself will tell you that at Under-23 level winning is not as important as player development.  This season it wasn't until October until we won our first League game, and we weren't playing particularly well, which would have meant Johnson would have got the same stick as Mowbray for the present run. 

I have no doubt that Johnson will make a decent manager one day if that is what he wants or he may see his career more as a coach of younger players and helping them to develop. 

Which team do you reckon has a more cohesive and coherent game plan Parson ?  Mowbray's team or Johnno's team ? Johnno seems to combine player development with actually winning games as well. First team wise that's something we are not doing at the moment. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

18 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Seems the best place to put this , Balaji arranges for  Indian youngster to train at Rovers

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17476886.rovers-owner-arranges-training-spell-for-indian-youngster/

I expected much more of this sort of thing with the Venky ownership.

• Moderation Lead

If the lad can play football, it doesn't matter where he comes from. 

So long as that's the only reason he's signed and not because Balaji fancies doing him a favour.....

(Let's be honest, we've got form for it under Venky's). 

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Which team do you reckon has a more cohesive and coherent game plan Parson ?  Mowbray's team or Johnno's team ? Johnno seems to combine player development with actually winning games as well. First team wise that's something we are not doing at the moment. 

At one point this season we had won one in thirteen Premier League 2 and Premier Cup games so I'm not sure about winning games regularly.  My point was that winning games is not Johnson's main task although, of course, winning does help build confidence.  However, it's mainly about player development and player education and he does a fantastic job at that.  If he can get a couple of players through to become first team regulars then he will have done a good job.  To be honest the game plan changes dependent on the opposition and players available.  We can field a back three one week then a back four the week after - indeed, rather like the first team it can change during the game.  Players are encouraged to play in different positions as part of that development - thus Hayden Carter appears at centre-back, right-back or right-wing back.  Johnson has done a fantastic job with the Under-23's but it is a totally different job from first team manager.

On a different point, bringing the lad over from India to the Academy is a real positive.  Obviously, if he has represented his country at youth level the lad must have something about him and hopefully a spell with our Academy will improve his game and give him valuable experience.