BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

More youth signings!

Has to put out a positive message to any youngster wanting to join the football club.

Would love to see a team of entirely ''home grown'' players like Middlesbrough did against Fulham in 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4957456.stm

• Like 1

@rog of the rovers    - Not sure on what age they have to come to Rovers to be classed as 'home grown' but a team comprising of graduates from the Development squad might not be far away:-

Fisher/Raya

Nyambe     Lenihan/Wharton    Magloire/Grayson    LB??? (there's apparently a 16yo LB 'wonderkid' called Jake Garrett in the youths)

Rankin-Costello        Buckley            Travis              LM????

Lyons

Butterworth

An exciting crop based on reports and the snippets I've seen. For the regular U23 watchers who are the likeliest to make it at Championship level?

It at least shows the value in retaining our Cat 1 status. That should be maintained at all costs, as should the policy of taking young lads from the big Manc and Liverpool clubs when they get released. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

@rog of the rovers    - Not sure on what age they have to come to Rovers to be classed as 'home grown' but a team comprising of graduates from the Development squad might not be far away:-

Fisher/Raya

Nyambe     Lenihan/Wharton    Magloire/Grayson    LB??? (there's apparently a 16yo LB 'wonderkid' called Jake Garrett in the youths)

Lyons

Butterworth

An exciting crop based on reports and the snippets I've seen. For the regular U23 watchers who are the likeliest to make it at Championship level?

It at least shows the value in retaining our Cat 1 status. That should be maintained at all costs, as should the policy of taking young lads from the big Manc and Liverpool clubs when they get released. 

If we're looking at the best it could've been, had we retained all of our youth team products even since we got relegated, we could be including O'Connell, Mahoney, Hanley & Josh Morris to that list, and that's just in the last 3 or so seasons. 

55 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

If we're looking at the best it could've been, had we retained all of our youth team products even since we got relegated, we could be including O'Connell, Mahoney, Hanley & Josh Morris to that list, and that's just in the last 3 or so seasons. 

Hardly a stellar list of Championship players there. I would take Hanley and O'Connell (mostly due to their positions and the fact we are awful at the back), but Mahoney and Morris are hardly improvements on what we have. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Fisher/Raya

Lyons

Butterworth

From the games I've seen Buckley has the highest chance of success and I'd say wharton. After that its down to how the individuals develop. It's so hard to call at this stage with injuries , confidence and cases like tomlinson etc. 

Not seen Garrett or the Lithuanian lad so can't comment and saw Lyons once where he did ok but nothing stand out. 

So Buckley and wharton for me

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hardly a stellar list of Championship players there. I would take Hanley and O'Connell (mostly due to their positions and the fact we are awful at the back), but Mahoney and Morris are hardly improvements on what we have. 

Agreed on Morris and Mahoney not being improvements on what we have but the 2 defenders are top Championship centre backs who you are perhaps doing a disservice too. O'Connell has attracted reported Premier League interest and is key for a top 2 team. Hanley was our player of the year as we know and had really matured, left, didnt play much at Newcastle but still got a winners medal and was excellent for Norwich last season (think he was runner up after Maddison for POTS) befoee an injury saw him out of the team this season and due to the form of his replacement has struggled to get back in since. 2 top quality Championship centre backs.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hardly a stellar list of Championship players there. I would take Hanley and O'Connell (mostly due to their potions and the fact we are awful at the back), but Mahoney and Morris are hardly improvements on what we have. 

Perhaps not, they fill the gaps in the Rovers academy XI though. Not saying I'd have them all back either, not sure how long it took for Middlesbrough to get relegated after they played a full team from their academy, but I guess it was pretty soon. 

Still pretty prolific given the number of clubs we're competing with though!

Ya, watching it here. He's starting, number 6. Interesting 

Up against Maguire of Preston and Mcgoldrick of Sheffield United 

Mick Mcarthy dropped Williams from the squad alright. Not surprising as Big Mick clearly has an eye for a good championship player 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Great to see a Rover playing in a European qualifier at the age of 18.

And playing as the defensive 1 in a 4-1-4-1. A rare, privileged position previously frequented by footballing greats such as Makelele.... and our very own Aaron Mokoena.

All hail the new axe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Don Said said:

Great to see a Rover playing in a European qualifier at the age of 18.

And playing as the defensive 1 in a 4-1-4-1. A rare, privileged position previously frequented by footballing greats such as Makelele.... and our very own Aaron Mokoena.

All hail the new axe.

It's definitely good for him to get that experience, but I didn't see much from him to be honest. Weird game in general. What did I do to deserve supporting Ireland and Blackburn rovers ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's definitely good for him to get that experience, but I didn't see much from him to be honest. Weird game in general. What did I do to deserve supporting Ireland and Blackburn rovers ?

No didn’t do much, but none of the Gib lot stood out at all, very much a basic defensive approach as you’d expect. He’s a tall lad but needs to hit the gym to make use of it, although he’s very young and that side of things should follow.

Not the greatest time to follow you lot. Seems an ageing squad and can’t see where the goals are going to come from anytime soon, no Keane to pull you through!