BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, RagarF said:

Fisher has apparently gone for experience. Being non league he can be recalled instantly should we get an injury or suspension. I think the Telegraph reported that there was league interest but he would have to stay for the season. FC look poor but Roverschat article states he is doing well, despite the goals. 

Good stuff. Would have preferred they sent him to a league team if he was a likely starter (otherwise no point) as we do have cover and the chances of even Raya getting another knock are slim.

At least he's getting game time and doing well. Doubt FC United is a better level than our u-23s, but it will do him good to play men's football for a bit.

What's Roverschat?

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, RV Blue said:

Beating Spurs 3-0 away... how can none of these lads get a look in? It’s beyond a joke.

How the powers that be can think that some input from Johnno regarding coaching wouldn't improve us is beyond me. 

Somebody will take a punt on him soon, the lad's working miracles with the young players.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How the powers that be can think that some input from Johnno regarding coaching wouldn't improve us is beyond me. 

Somebody will take a punt on him soon, the lad's working miracles with the young players.

In fairness, having the reserve team manager give the first team manager tips is very insulting and if you think it's gotten to that stage the first team manager needs firing instead (he does).

Not so sure Johnno is imminently off. They have been very good for several months now but let's not forget they're not actually safe yet.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

In fairness, having the reserve team manager give the first team manager tips is very insulting and if you think it's gotten to that stage the first team manager needs firing instead (he does).

Not so sure Johnno is imminently off. They have been very good for several months now but let's not forget they're not actually safe yet.

Has been an extraordinary turn around during which they have smashed several Premier League u-23s and beaten many at the top of the League.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philipl said:

Has been an extraordinary turn around during which they have smashed several Premier League u-23s and beaten many at the top of the League.

It has. And they're still not safe because they were that bad at the start of the season.

Adapting to a new league and missing several regulars from the prior season, sure, but it's a results business over a full season and they can technically still go down (I make it they need just 1 more point though from the last two tricky games).

Those clamouring for him to be first team boss need to reflect on how little experience he has. We need to get an experienced pro with a track record, not repeat the Kean and Bowyer experiments from within.

• Like 2

In fairness to Johnson, he lost numerous big players. Some joined the first team squad, some went on loan, he had some injuries too. All of this at a higher level with some massive clubs. 

Mowbray had the opportunity to strengthen the first team and at the end of the season him and Johnson could end up around the same place in the table, relevant to the size of the leagues

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness to Johnson, he lost numerous big players. Some joined the first team squad, some went on loan, he had some injuries too. All of this at a higher level with some massive clubs. 

Mowbray had the opportunity to strengthen the first team and at the end of the season him and Johnson could end up around the same place in the table, relevant to the size of the leagues

I acknowledged he was missing some regulars. First team went up to a higher level too, a much higher level than DJ has managed. TM has missed opportunities in the transfer market, but DJ doesn't have any experience of it at all.

Johnson is doing great work, but we need a proven Championship-level manager, not another gambit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

What an excellent read - I wish our coverage and analysis of the first team was half as good! 

Key for me was this quote from Burnett: "

"IF YOU DON’T APPLY YOURSELF, OUT-FIGHT AND OUT-COMPETE YOUR OPPONENTS, IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW MUCH ABILITY YOU HAVE." Listen up Dacky and Co!!

For me, we should be sending the U23s out this evening, and giving the tired old bunch of losers a lesson in hard work and application. End of.

• Like 3

I acknowledged he was missing some regulars. First team went up to a higher level too, a much higher level than DJ has managed. TM has missed opportunities in the transfer market, but DJ doesn't have any experience of it at all.

Johnson is doing great work, but we need a proven Championship-level manager, not another gambit.

He doesn't have any experience wit transfers, because he doesn't have the luxury of being able to sign players. He works with what he has. 

In an ideal world, under good owners i would love for us to go and get a manager that excites the fans. However past experience would suggest that would be highly unlikely. So in that case, I would be happy giving Johnson a chance. He would def give youth a chance. 

"they came and defended very well and we found it difficult to break them down"

"An organised Rovers defence meant we hardly had a chance on goal"

Above are quotes from report on Tottenham 

Don't read that about first eleven for a long time perhaps Johnno should be promoted to first team defensive co ordinator

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He doesn't have any experience wit transfers, because he doesn't have the luxury of being able to sign players. He works with what he has. 

In an ideal world, under good owners i would love for us to go and get a manager that excites the fans. However past experience would suggest that would be highly unlikely. So in that case, I would be happy giving Johnson a chance. He would def give youth a chance. 

Johnson signed Nuttall. 

22 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not meaning to be snitty at all, but obviously I know why he doesn't have experience with transfers and that it's not his fault. But he still doesn't have experience with transfers.

It's very much like the difference between international and club management. The former, and reserve football, are about working with what you're given, often under an extended period where you get years to make it happen. Club management is partly about taking what you're given, but then rapidly turning it into something better is usually the expectation, under huge pressure, with the transfer market being probably the most important tool for doing this.

It's absolutely possible to move from reserve or international management into being a great club manager. Hughes is a terrific example. But it's a risk we'd be unwise to take at this time, as it really is a different world.

• Like 1

Not meaning to be snitty at all, but obviously I know why he doesn't have experience with transfers and that it's not his fault. But he still doesn't have experience with transfers.

It's very much like the difference between international and club management. The former, and reserve football, are about working with what you're given, often under an extended period where you get years to make it happen. Club management is partly about taking what you're given, but then rapidly turning it into something better is usually the expectation, under huge pressure, with the transfer market being probably the most important tool for doing this.

It's absolutely possible to move from reserve or international management into being a great club manager. Hughes is a terrific example. But it's a risk we'd be unwise to take at this time, as it really is a different world.

Would it be any less likely to work than the succession of muppets we had here before Mowbray? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would it be any less likely to work than the succession of muppets we had here before Mowbray? 

If it's as likely as those, it's most likely to fail badly.

We need someone a lot more likely than those. Not another low calibre, inexperienced offering.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:28, bluebruce said:

I'd like to see him coaching the first team instead of the wasters we have at the moment,

• Like 1

Johnson’s rebuilding job with the U23s, replacing players and adapting to a higher division is actually better than Mowbray’s.

Mowbray has had continuity of players and an embarrassment of riches in the attacking front that he hasn’t used.

Ironic that Mowbray has caused many of Johnson’s selection problems for him but still hasn’t really blooded any youngsters beside Travis.

Having Rankin-Costello and Chapman back will have helped more recently but he has to take credit for Buckley and Butterworth and Mols.

• Like 2