BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Johnson has been back at Rovers for 4 years, which is an age in football.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that. I'm not aware of any suggestion that he'll move on (unless someone can illuminate me on that as well!) although I'd be surprised if clubs higher up the food chain aren't casting envious eyes in his direction. If such a club comes in then I'm not sure how much we'd be able to do about that. Maybe we should enjoy his work while he's here. 

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that. I'm not aware of any suggestion that he'll move on (unless someone can illuminate me on that as well!) although I'd be surprised if clubs higher up the food chain aren't casting envious eyes in his direction. If such a club comes in then I'm not sure how much we'd be able to do about that. Maybe we should enjoy his work while he's here. 

I do think he appears happy at Rovers.  We are his first real job after he qualified and did some short stints at Clubs to gain experience. He looks to have a career plan so at some stage will look to move up the ladder. I'd like that to be at Rovers at first team coaching level to start with. He has the playing background to cope with anything he'd meet working at Rovers, imo.  

• Like 1

The biggest challenge for him stepping up to a senior job would be he would be managing players who are paid more and have had more success and arguably better careers than him. The under 23s all look up to him no doubt as they haven't made it in the game at all yet. I mean, could he rip Mulgrew a new one? A lad who is a few years younger, but has played Champions league football. Johnson is doing a great job where he is, but maybe it's the bet place for him and us. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The biggest challenge for him stepping up to a senior job would be he would be managing players who are paid more and have had more success and arguably better careers than him. The under 23s all look up to him no doubt as they haven't made it in the game at all yet. I mean, could he rip Mulgrew a new one? A lad who is a few years younger, but has played Champions league football. Johnson is doing a great job where he is, but maybe it's the bet place for him and us. 

Johnson has had a very good career, streets ahead of the vast majority at Rovers.

PL football and full international PLUS I hope he's at Ewood longer, looking forward, than Charlie!

Having said that he may just be happy and content at youth level. He was a terrier of a midfielder so if that's in his nature he will be looking for a challenge.

We're going to find out at some stage so Rovers should ask him or someone else will.

• Like 2

Close to 200 premier league appearances, was a club captain for many of them - 56 caps for Northern Ireland. Fair to say he had a career that some of our lot could only dream of as of right now - some still might have a better one but cannot think of many right now that could compete with the level he played at and the number of games.

Mulgrew possibly - depending on how high a standard you consider the SPL (lets not go there again). 

Graham - enjoyed a few years at PL level. 

Rodwell? - Where did it all go wrong for this boy.

That's about it.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

On 01/04/2019 at 11:17, Parsonblue said:

The Final, since the Competition was reintroduced, has always been played as a pre-season game.  Talking to folk at Leyland the other week they said it was planned for August. 

7th May 7 pm ko all ticket match

Edited by Rogerb
Unfinished

21 hours ago, BennyBennyson said:

City domminating possession but we have had a few good break away chances 

City dominate possession without going anywere I thought they were all show and no substance, a bit worrying for summer tarnsfares if that is the quality center half you get for £32 million in   Eliaquim Mangala.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nobody at Rovers has had a bigger career in my opinion. Only Mulgrew could come near. He was a terrific little player in his heyday.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/harry-chapman-can-spearhead-blackburn-16134471

High praise for Chapman after last nights game. Is he back to his electrifying best?

He was the third or fourth best player on the pitch for sure.

But he was the only player the plastics recognised.

Just now, Stuart said:

He was the third or fourth best player on the pitch for sure.

But he was the only player the plastics recognised.

Surely he must be the most likely in line to make the first team squad before the end of the season?

Who else would you say looks ready to break into the first team?

Just now, CraigF said:

Surely he must be the most likely in line to make the first team squad before the end of the season?

Who else would you say looks ready to break into the first team?

It’s a good question but I can’t give you the answer you are looking for.

Chapman will obviously be the player who will be in the first team very soon. He is doing his bit for fitness and form in the U23s (which is where Brereton should be - except if I was Johnson I’m not sure I’d want him based on the way he sets his teams up).

In terms of last night, and to a greater extent the last home game I watched him in, he was a little underwhelming. Took his goal well and made good runs but was wasteful. He should be looking head and shoulders above the rest of the players but was just good. I think he’s lost some of his pace, which was lightening quick when he first joined.

I’m more a fan of Buckley, Butterworth and even Jack Vale. Hayden Carter was also excellent last night, and I’d like to see Rankin-Costello (and being greedy, Mols) get a chance in the seniors. The trouble is there are only a few games left so they won’t all get a chance an opportunity. It’s only my opinion, of course, and it probably comes down to expectation vs reality. I can also see Chapman getting injured again quite quickly. Hope not.

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s a good question but I can’t give you the answer you are looking for.

Chapman will obviously be the player who will be in the first team very soon. He is doing his bit for fitness and form in the U23s (which is where Brereton should be - except if I was Johnson I’m not sure I’d want him based on the way he sets his teams up).

In terms of last night, and to a greater extent the last home game I watched him in, he was a little underwhelming. Took his goal well and made good runs but was wasteful. He should be looking head and shoulders above the rest of the players but was just good. I think he’s lost some of his pace, which was lightening quick when he first joined.

I’m more a fan of Buckley, Butterworth and even Jack Vale. Hayden Carter was also excellent last night, and I’d like to see Rankin-Costello (and being greedy, Mols) get a chance in the seniors. The trouble is there are only a few games left so they won’t all get a chance an opportunity. It’s only my opinion, of course, and it probably comes down to expectation vs reality. I can also see Chapman getting injured again quite quickly. Hope not.

Thanks for the reply. 

Hopefully Chapman will be better with a full pre-season under his belt in terms of his fitness/pace

Where do you see Rankin-Costello’s best position? 

Ive not seen much of Butterworth, but think he maybe too small to play the striker role? Although I do like the look of Buckley in midfield. Take it you regard them as better opinions than Davenport?

Just now, CraigF said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Hopefully Chapman will be better with a full pre-season under his belt in terms of his fitness/pace

Where do you see Rankin-Costello’s best position? 

Ive not seen much of Butterworth, but think he maybe too small to play the striker role? Although I do like the look of Buckley in midfield. Take it you regard them as better opinions than Davenport?

JRC would be on the wing for me but he can certainly cover at full back.

Butterworth is one I rate very highly. He’s the next Travis. Good on the ball but very very hungry. Demands the best from himself and others. Being honest he probably needs a loan move to continue his development but he’d be a good foil for Reed. Travis and Butterworth wouldn’t be enough at this level but he’d be a good option from the bench.

I don’t know what it is but Davenport doesn’t stand out for me ahead of Butterworth and Buckley. He probably does the stuff others don’t. I really need to spend a bit more time watching (just) him but at the moment, the U23s are so good to watch it’s easy to get carried away and forget it’s all about development. Maybe that’s the fault of promotion and relegation.