BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

I’d be interested to know whether it was the plan all along for us to mainly sign development squad players rather than first team players since promotion.

Johnson must be pleased that Mowbray keeps signing players for him. Shame that this approach is not something made obvious to supporters with the way they are announced as first team players.

Michael I have been stopped from posting this by moderators. was hardly a shining example of physicality. 

OMG - You the the Michael i mean - scored against argentina and makes pointless football quotes.

Edited by JacknOry

Aye but I have been stopped from posting this by moderators. was rapid, and played off the shoulder as a striker. Low centre of gravity too. 

I’m not saying Buckley is too slight just wondering if anyone might even consider it being that he’s a central midfielder.

Curse my blasphemous mouth.

Looking forward to seeing more of him either way. If he’s half the player Alli is he’ll do for us.

(he’s already half the weight ?)

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The one where it costs us money if he plays this season. Read it on here somewhere?

Really? That would be a very odd clause. Don't think I buy that rumour. Why should Boro care when we first play Chapman? I can only envision this if they thought he was faking how bad his injury and fitness issues are to get a move.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Really? That would be a very odd clause. Don't think I buy that rumour. Why should Boro care when we first play Chapman? I can only envision this if they thought he was faking how bad his injury and fitness issues are to get a move.

Don't know mate, you know how rumours start? Sure I read it here though as it's my only source of rovers news generally

15 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Basically sound like an old school football scout "too small etc" physicality hardly matters anymore.

Disagree.

The only difference between World Cup qualifiers Iceland and 165th ranked Malta is an average height difference of six inches...

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Disagree.

The only difference between World Cup qualifiers Iceland and 165th ranked Malta is an average height difference of six inches...

The only difference?

Iceland have 3 PL players and 4 Championship players (as well as 1 Serie A, 1 Bundesliga, 1 Ligue 1, and 4 Eridivisie) out of 84 playing outside of Iceland.

Malta have a L2 player and a National League player out of 8 playing outside of Malta.

I don’t think that height is the only difference.

Source: 

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/iceland/

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/malta/

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The only difference?

Iceland have 3 PL players and 4 Championship players (as well as 1 Serie A, 1 Bundesliga, 1 Ligue 1, and 4 Eridivisie) out of 84 playing outside of Iceland.

Malta have a L2 player and a National League player out of 8 playing outside of Malta.

I don’t think that height is the only difference.

Source: 

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/iceland/

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/malta/

Well there is an interesting debate here about whether some of our youngsters are too slight.

Malta's national team average a little under 5 ft 9 ins in height. I have seen them against England (average over 6ft 1in) and Spain (average 6ft) and they were not embarrassed for  technique. However, when every ball in the air puts you at a very distinct disadvantage, your keeper is just under 6ft which is a midget by modern standards, and in any challenge your opponent has longer legs and a few Kg heavier because he is taller, it makes a difference just as the Icelanders averaging 2 inches per man height advantage had some impact when they beat England....   

All other things being equal, you would pick the taller players.

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Well there is an interesting debate here about whether some of our youngsters are too slight.

Malta's national team average a little under 5 ft 9 ins in height. I have seen them against England (average over 6ft 1in) and Spain (average 6ft) and they were not embarrassed for  technique. However, when every ball in the air puts you at a very distinct disadvantage, your keeper is just under 6ft which is a midget by modern standards, and in any challenge your opponent has longer legs and a few Kg heavier because he is taller, it makes a difference just as the Icelanders averaging 2 inches per man height advantage had some impact when they beat England....   

All other things being equal, you would pick the taller players.

Well they should just line up all the blokes in Malta and pick the tallest 11.

C’mon Phil, all other things aren’t equal. The Icelanders are superior footballers first, more demanding and determined - being taller is lower down the pecking order.

Had a really interesting conversation yesterday with someone who has spent time professionally and socially with our youth lads....was absolutely glowing in his views of the group as a whole and believes we have a really special group.

I asked him if he had to pick one out of the whole bunch....he replied emphatically - “BUCKLEY!!!” Apparently has it all. Physically, technically and mentally. He’s the one...??

Obviously cant name the person who wouldn’t go into any personal info but I was excited and thought I’d share ?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

Definitely.

I know we are at a lower level, but I can't remember a crop like this since Duff, Dunn and Johnno himself. 

Perhaps the Phil Jones and Hanley cohort - maybe it's a once a decade occurrence!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Have we got a brave enough first team manager to make best use of it?

No. Here's some of Tony's latest comments about the youngsters, from the LT today:

“I’ve said that I would like to do that but it’s about picking the right moments,” Mowbray said.

“I’m not going to be changing the starting line-ups too often, but I might bring on some young players in the last four games.

“The bottom line is that I don’t want to break up the Under-23s just to give people 10 minutes here and there. It’s important they finish their season strong.

“It’s a balance. There might be a few players involved but generally it will be off the bench rather than starting.”

Very encouraging words, no? He 'might' involve a few players, but it's likely to be off the bench rather than starting, in our complete dead rubber matches. His faith in youth is palpable.

Also some contradictory remarks there...it will be off the bench but there's no point breaking up the U-23's season to give people 10 minutes here or there. Perhaps he intends to give them 20 or 30 minutes, woooo!

Come on Tony, the ones who have already had little cameos off the bench, like Buckley, need a start in order to learn and showcase their skills, not more cameos. It's understandable to give cameos to the ones who haven't had one yet though.

When TM first arrived, almost every presser I read seemed to make eminent, refreshing sense. What has happened? These days almost every presser leaves me frustrated at the lack of sense. There's also an inconsistency to them, such as this one where he implies cameos are a waste, but also that he won't be starting them, but he 'might' give them some game time. The comments about the transfer market are similarly confused - whilst most of the time he says he wants 'competition' and a 'deeper squad' (which we all know isn't enough) he has infrequently alluded to trying to bring in better quality first teamers. I just don't know what the hell he is planning anymore, or if he even has a clear vision.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

“The bottom line is that I don’t want to break up the Under-23s just to give people 10 minutes here and there. It’s important they finish their season strong.“

What a crock!

Both teams have just been made safe. Now is the time to start to blood some new players in both teams.

I’m not talking about making 10 changes but certainly a game each for Buckley, Butterworth, JR-C at full back, as well as dropping Graham for Brereton (2 starts) and Nuttall (1 start).

I totally agree with your sentiment. We are seeing the dried up, idealess Mowbray that I felt we had signed when he was brought in to keep us up. He didn’t but... he was straight into a pressure situation (of sorts) and then straight into a promotion campaign (and backed to the hilt). Are we now seeing the real Tony Mowbray? Stubborn, old-fashioned, and intransigent.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are the under 23s still in a cup?

If not, Mowbrays comments about not wanting to break them up are nonsense. 

Would giving three or four players a taste of the first team be a good thing or a bad thing ahead of a cup final?

Just now, Stuart said:

What a crock!

Both teams have just been made safe. Now is the time to start to blood some new players in both teams.

I’m not talking about making 10 changes but certainly a game each for Buckley, Butterworth, JR-C at full back, as well as dropping Graham for Brereton (2 starts) and Nuttall (1 start).

I totally agree with your sentiment. We are seeing the dried up, idealess Mowbray that I felt we had signed when he was brought in to keep us up. He didn’t but... he was straight into a pressure situation (of sorts) and then straight into a promotion campaign (and backed to the hilt). Are we now seeing the real Tony Mowbray? Stubborn, old-fashioned, and intransigent.

Has Rankin Costello been playing at rb this season ?

He was always a right winger / number 10 when I've seen him. Quick,  slight and a good dribbler. 

Not saying it's a bad idea. In the modern game I could see him play in the style of Alexander Arnold but I don't know anything about his defensive capabilities.

Just wondering have you seen him play there or is it where you think he should play. I.e the way Travis was a rb and has excelled in central midfield

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Has Rankin Costello been playing at rb this season ?

He was always a right winger / number 10 when I've seen him. Quick,  slight and a good dribbler. 

Not saying it's a bad idea. In the modern game I could see him play in the style of Alexander Arnold but I don't know anything about his defensive capabilities.

Just wondering have you seen him play there or is it where you think he should play. I.e the way Travis was a rb and has excelled in central midfield

I think we have plenty of options on the right wing and very few at right back. He’s played there for the U23s, if he can be converted then it’s a problem solved. If he can’t then I don’t think we’ll see him in a senior shirt.

Just now, Stuart said:

I think we have plenty of options on the right wing and very few at right back. He’s played there for the U23s, if he can be converted then it’s a problem solved. If he can’t then I don’t think we’ll see him in a senior shirt.

How did he perform defensively when playing there

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are the under 23s still in a cup?

If not, Mowbrays comments about not wanting to break them up are nonsense. 

In fairness I did remove some of the context (just because it was already a big post). The Lancashire Senior Cup final is two days after the last Championship game, and there is a Premier League Cup tie against Everton 24 hours after the Bolton game. But we have four games to play, not just two.

Full article: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17581221.rovers-boss-mowbray-isnt-letting-his-players-lose-focus/

Aren't we allowed to play senior players in the senior cup though? Whoever made way for the young lads could just go play that to improve our chances of winning.

Edited by bluebruce