BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Would giving three or four players a taste of the first team be a good thing or a bad thing ahead of a cup final?

Depends I suppose. When is the final etc

OK edit, just checked above. 

If the final is 2 days after the last championship game, we'll then they could feature in any of the games except the last one. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Depends I suppose. When is the final etc

OK edit, just checked above. 

If the final is 2 days after the last championship game, we'll then they could feature in any of the games except the last one. 

And anyone who has shown enough to earn more game time in the matches until then, should play the last game too, with any who haven't playing the cup final. First team football is at least as important to their development as that final, plus it gives us a sense of whether they can be relied on for next season.

If the youngsters barely feature, we won't get that, which means when TM brings in new players the youngsters will just get sidelined all year. It's imperative we take advantage of this dead rubber end to the season to blood them properly. It's pretty much the only thing left worth doing!!

TM talked a lot about doing this, and now the scenario has come to fruition he is getting cold feet on it. It's frankly frustrating.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

Just now, bluebruce said:

And anyone who has shown enough to earn more game time in the matches until then, should play the last game too, with any who haven't playing the cup final. First team football is at least as important to their development as that final, plus it gives us a sense of whether they can be relied on for next season.

If the youngsters barely feature, we won't get that, which means when TM brings in new players the youngsters will just get sidelined all year. It's imperative we take advantage of this dead rubber end to the season to blood them properly. It's pretty much the only thing left worth doing!!

TM talked a lot about doing this, and now the scenario has come to fruition he is getting cold feet on it. It's frankly frustrating.

100% if he starts using excuses now for not playing them in the last few games, it's time to get very worried. 

35 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

? 

Don’t know why everyone is crapping their pants about Mowbray not giving game time to youth...

I may be misremembering -

Didn’t he gave Travis his debut? Either way he turned him into a regular and Nuttall a regular in the squad.

This season alone he has given debuts to Magloire, Grayson, Butterworth, Buckley.

I thought we’d only really debuted Nyambe and Raya (TM made him his No.1 btw) in the past few years prior?

Isn't that a decent pathway for the young lads during a high stakes promotion campaign and a re-entry season in the Champ?

When you watch the interviews with the young lads half of the reason they are so motivated and the likes of Buckley signed a new contract is because they can see a realistic path into the first team...

Does everything really have to be twisted into “Mowbray is an idiot” because I don’t know if I understand this one...

Surely this is our youngest squad in years too??

Correct me if I’m mis-remembering or forgetting anyone, honestly.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Think you’re exaggerating lad....

Fact is, what’s stopping him giving him more than 10 minutes here or there as we can’t go down or up now? What have we got to lose? If they have a nightmare, then at worst it’s a failed experiment?

Relax lads, he’s openly said he’s going to play them. The same manager who’s given 11 players their Rovers debuts in the last two years....stop worrying and enjoy it. I’m so excited to see them. There’s nothing to suggest he isn’t brace enough. 

I expect to see Magloire, Butterworth and Buckley. As well as Davenport and maybe Chapman. 

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Don’t know why everyone is crapping their pants about Mowbray not giving game time to youth...

Didn’t he gave Travis his debut? Either way he turned him into a regular and Nuttall a regular in the squad.

This season alone he has given debuts to Magloire, Grayson, Butterworth, Buckley.

I thought we’d only really debuted Nyambe and Raya (TM made him his No.1 btw) in the past few years prior?

Isn't that a decent pathway for the young lads during a high stakes promotion campaign and a re-entry season in the Champ?

When you watch the interviews with the young lads half of the reason they are so motivated and the likes of Buckley signed a new contract is because they can see a realistic path into the first team...

Does everything really have to be twisted into “Mowbray is an idiot” because I don’t know if I understand this one...

He only gives young players game time when he absolutely has to through injury. He stumbled on Travis - a full back who was converted to a centre mid. (Something Mowbray cannot take credit for either). Yet Mowbray still thinks S&E are better midfielders.

Magloire came in when we were desperate, did well, and hasn’t been seen since. Captain for the U23s though now.

If he is giving the youth a chance, he will do so in this last few games. And not with 5-10 minute cameos. Let’s see.

(I hope you are right and he does).

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Relax lads, he’s openly said he’s going to play them. The same manager who’s given 11 players their Rovers debuts in the last two years....stop worrying and enjoy it. I’m so excited to see them. There’s nothing to suggest he isn’t brace enough. 

I expect to see Magloire, Butterworth and Buckley. As well as Davenport and maybe Chapman. 

Nothing to suggest he isn't brave enough...except his own most recent comments which I quoted, suggesting starts will be very limited and he doesn't want to interfere with the u-23 season.

13 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

He had to give Travis his debut as we had no other CMs. Then dropped him quickly for Smallwood once he came back from suspension. Everyone could see how limited our play was with Smallwood

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

He had to give Travis his debut as we had no other CMs. Then dropped him quickly for Smallwood once he came back from suspension. Everyone could see how limited our play was with Smallwood

Since Travis has come in, he has played far more than Smallwood, so I have no idea why you are saying he was dropped. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

He was dropped which coincided with our drop in form.

Since he came into the team v Sheffield United, aside from sub appearances v Stoke and Boro and being an unused sub v Preston, he has started every game. Smallwood started the Stoke and Preston games.

Whilst I am skeptical of Mowbray actually being ruthless with his senior players and trusting the younger players even in essentially dead rubbers, lets not re-write history.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 5

The 'not disrupting the U23s' is the daftest excuse I've ever heard.

The whole purpose of that side and the academy in general is to provide players for the first team. Indeed Buckley or Butterworth get a game today and they will be absolutely buzzing for the U23s game at Everton on Tuesday, plus it helps Johnno's teamtalk - 'another one of you had a first team start on Friday, you're a great side etc.'.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The 'not disrupting the U23s' is the daftest excuse I've ever heard.

The whole purpose of that side and the academy in general is to provide players for the first team. Indeed Buckley or Butterworth get a game today and they will be absolutely buzzing for the U23s game at Everton on Tuesday, plus it helps Johnno's teamtalk - 'another one of you had a first team start on Friday, you're a great side etc.'.

I think he is waiting until summer then he can buy a bigger tombola

On 19/04/2019 at 13:44, RoversClitheroe said:

Not accurate.

On 19/04/2019 at 09:03, Stuart said:

He only gives young players game time when he absolutely has to through injury. He stumbled on Travis - a full back who was converted to a centre mid. (Something Mowbray cannot take credit for either). Yet Mowbray still thinks S&E are better midfielders.

Magloire came in when we were desperate, did well, and hasn’t been seen since. Captain for the U23s though now.

If he is giving the youth a chance, he will do so in this last few games. And not with 5-10 minute cameos. Let’s see.

(I hope you are right and he does).

Simply not true - Travis is our first choice midfielder as demonstrated by playing every game except 3 since January, and even in those games he came on as sub. He also almost invariably plays the full ninety while Evans or whoever comes off.

Mowbray has made mistakes but let's not bend the plain facts.

Similarly Rothwell has now played 5 in a row. More than the likes of Conway have done.

So while maybe not as quick to play them as desired he does stick with them 

• Like 2

That brought back memories Paul.  I remember Luke Staton playing for our youth and reserves - must be nearly twenty years ago, frightening how quickly times passes.  If I remember rightly he had a brief spell with Bolton after we released him and then ended up playing in Wales.

• Like 1

Just now, Parsonblue said:

That brought back memories Paul.  I remember Luke Staton playing for our youth and reserves - must be nearly twenty years ago, frightening how quickly times passes.  If I remember rightly he had a brief spell with Bolton after we released him and then ended up playing in Wales.

I didn't see him play but I remember him being touted as a real hot prospect and representing England at U18 level. Around the same time as James Thomas?

Looks to have done alright for himself and made a career in the game.

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I might be getting him mixed up with somebody else but I have a vague recollection of refereeing him playing for York City in the Football League.