BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Just now, Stuart said:

The trouble is that a player like Nuttall needs regular game time (as, I expect, does Brereton) while at the same time Mowbray has a rotation policy that takes no account of form or ability or potential. They are like pinball machines that he just plugs in and expects them to operate. That’s bad enough but he then has the cheek to talk about players needing to “take their chance”. Nuttall took his chance when he first came into the side last season and was then dropped as soon as the eternal crock Samuel was back (temporarily). Rothwell took his chance but is in and out of the side. To a lesser extent Williams took his chance but it’s looking like Mulgrew is back in favour. Brereton also took his chance when actually played as a number 9 but then Mowbray-sense prevailed.

My view is that Nuttall is an out and out striker who Mowbray can’t put out wide as he seems to want to do with his strikers. He could be the next Jason Roberts or Kevin Davies if he had a manager who believed in him. Sadly Mowbray is a tinkerer who buys too many midfielders and attackers and then spends his time trying to find a system which they can operate in, while the all take turns at being in the side. Meanwhile he sticks with mediocre players in defence who he leaves to it, barely even recruiting them (preferring to convert midfielders), let alone having enough depth for healthy competition.

Nuttall has a striker's inate instinct but the rest of his game needs to be developed.

I would loan rather than sell.

Rovers are to participate in the Premier League International Cup

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17802738.rovers-participate-premier-league-international-cup/

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-international-cup-explained

A look at last seasons competition shows that it was spread out over the full season:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Premier_League_International_Cup

It would be nice to see Rovers games on iFollow :rover:

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Rovers are to participate in the Premier League International Cup

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17802738.rovers-participate-premier-league-international-cup/

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-international-cup-explained

A look at last seasons competition shows that it was spread out over the full season:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Premier_League_International_Cup

It would be nice to see Rovers games on iFollow :rover:

A look at last season's competition also shows a certain Sam Gallagher notched a winning goal in it for Southampton in the first group stage game. Against eventual finalists Dinamo Zagreb.

Edited by bluebruce

I hear the U23s were beaten 4-0 by Man Ure today in a behind closed doors game. Not yet learned the Rovers line up but Utd's starting lineup was Romero, Dalot, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez, Gomes, Daniel James, Fred, Greenwood. Pogba also got 30 mins.

Sounds like that was quite a test for our youngsters!

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

I hear the U23s were beaten 4-0 by Man Ure today in a behind closed doors game. Not yet learned the Rovers line up but Utd's starting lineup was Romero, Dalot, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez, Gomes, Daniel James, Fred, Greenwood. Pogba also got 30 mins.

U23s facing tougher competition in preseason than our first team, couldn’t make it up. The whole of the close season has been utterly incompetent.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

That’s ridiculous to even call it an U23s team.

I don't think it was an U23s game Stuart, just a Utd 11 v Rovers U23s. I suspect it was hastily arranged to give the Utd players more game time, or maybe it's something that they normally do versus Bolton but couldn't this season for obvious reasons & we stepped in last minute.

Pure speculation on my part mind, but it would make sense.

• Like 1

I don't think it was an U23s game Stuart, just a Utd 11 v Rovers U23s. I suspect it was hastily arranged to give the Utd players more game time, or maybe it's something that they normally do versus Bolton but couldn't this season for obvious reasons & we stepped in last minute.

Pure speculation on my part mind, but it would make sense.

You’ve got to hope so.

20 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Lutwiler

Nyambe Magloire Grayson JRC

Buckley Smallwood Evans Chapman

Vale

Brereton

Cheers Skip. Any idea if we gave them a closer game than the scoreline might suggest, standout performers or injuries? Any sign of Samuel or Williams?

Sorry for the bombardment!

Cheers Skip. Any idea if we gave them a closer game than the scoreline might suggest, standout performers or injuries? Any sign of Samuel or Williams?

Sorry for the bombardment!

I know the game was organised more for united than Rovers, it was 3-0 at halftime, 2nd half a raft of changes for Rovers with some other u23s getting a run, the only players to get 90 mins were Nyambe, JRC and Vale for Rovers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Maguire and Rashford amongst the bench but off duty

United agreed not to steal any promotions from the women's team for 2 years in return for providing cannon fodder...I mean opposition at short notice.

Premier League International Cup draw has placed Rovers in a group with Newcastle United, Benfica and Hertha Berlin.

Under 18's played really well vs Madrid. Posted a new topic for the link to the game yesterday but thought I'd give a little review. Game finished 0-0 but Rovers should've won it. We lacked a presence up top to just put the ball in the net and often it felt like we weren't really playing with a striker.

They started brightly, controlling possession for the first 15 minutes, but then we took control. Isaac Whitehall was really effective at the back and French centre-back Flavien Boyomo was immense too. We managed the game and looked much more energetic than them. We could've been 2-0 up by 70 minutes but it wasn't to be. Special mention for midfielder Chanka Zimba who came on in the second half and blew me away. A massive presence in midfield who had so much more physicality than everyone else on the pitch, and always the ball seemed to find him.

Bright future at all levels in our academy it would seem. Jalil Saadi and Zak Gilsenan also looked bright.

7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Under 18's played really well vs Madrid. Posted a new topic for the link to the game yesterday but thought I'd give a little review. Game finished 0-0 but Rovers should've won it. We lacked a presence up top to just put the ball in the net and often it felt like we weren't really playing with a striker.

They started brightly, controlling possession for the first 15 minutes, but then we took control. Isaac Whitehall was really effective at the back and French centre-back Flavien Boyomo was immense too. We managed the game and looked much more energetic than them. We could've been 2-0 up by 70 minutes but it wasn't to be. Special mention for midfielder Chanka Zimba who came on in the second half and blew me away. A massive presence in midfield who had so much more physicality than everyone else on the pitch, and always the ball seemed to find him.

Bright future at all levels in our academy it would seem. Jalil Saadi and Zak Gilsenan also looked bright.

Don't we have a highly rated 16/17 yr old fullback too? Jake Garett I think is his name. How did he play?