BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

18 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

There are 3 young players who won't be going anywhere and one is Butterworth the other 2 are Buckley and JRC, they are expected to try and break into the 1st team, but for this to happen they will need a chance, will they get it? Time will tell

Yeh I know that's the plan with them for this season. Just questioning whether for Butterworth it's the right plan. Same may apply to JRC too as he is yet to feature this season. Less competition in a sense for him though as he can play RB too. Still got Bennett, Nyambe and probably Tosin ahead of him there though.

Don't feel we should keep this lads from any decent loan deals that arise on the basis that we may have an injury crisis and then be able to give them a handful of sub appearances.

Must be classed as an exciting opportunity for an up & coming or established youth coach (internally or externally), given the facilities, funding & crop of U23 & Academy talent we have coming through.

Would love to lnow who applied & see the shortlist of who was interviewed. I bet there would be some interesting & surprising names on there.

• Like 3

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Must be classed as an exciting opportunity for an up & coming or established youth coach (internally or externally), given the facilities, funding & crop of U23 & Academy talent we have coming through.

Would love to lnow who applied & see the shortlist of who was interviewed. I bet there would be some interesting & surprising names on there.

Good point. This is a Cat 1 Academy and there are only 24 of them. There should be no shortage of candidates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

TM says Butterworth has a back injury, as part of growing pains...the lad is 20 next month. I'm no biologist but I thought most people were done growing well before then?

Not completely- the larynx develops until as late as 27 for example.

• Like 1

Fair play to him for applying but who was the competition he was up against? On the face of it this is more evidence of Mowbray sticking with what/who he knows and rewarding loyalty.

Lowest cost, narrowest search, and least imagination.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Fair play to him for applying but who was the competition he was up against? On the face of it this is more evidence of Mowbray sticking with what/who he knows and rewarding loyalty.

Sheron promoted too? 

Jobs for the boys.

Excellent appointments by the club.  Having watched the progress the youngsters have made under Billy and Mike it's good to see them promoted to the new roles.  Damien was promoted from the Academy to work with the under-23's and that turned out OK.  Hopefully the same will happen with Billy.  

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It would be interesting to know who the other candidates were. Only way to know if it was the right choice really (and even then, proper info on a youth coach can be hard to come by). 

In theory, Mowbray shouldn't have been making this decision. The LT article makes it clear that he, Tony Carrs and Stuart Jones were all involved to some degree though. I'd have thought the ultimate decision would have been made by Jones and Waggott, but who knows at this place. TM certainly seems to have plenty of power here, for better or worse.

Good luck Billy. Hope you're the man for the job and bring another great crop through. According to Wiki he is 50 but doesn't look anywhere near it on the LT pic.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Or the best candidate 

Depends on your outlook I suppose. 

Why do you treat this with suspicion? Did you treat Johnsons promotion the same? 

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

It would be interesting to know who the other candidates were. Only way to know if it was the right choice really (and even then, proper info on a youth coach can be hard to come by). 

In theory, Mowbray shouldn't have been making this decision. The LT article makes it clear that he, Tony Carrs and Stuart Jones were all involved to some degree though. I'd have thought the ultimate decision would have been made by Jones and Waggott, but who knows at this place. TM certainly seems to have plenty of power here, for better or worse.

Good luck Billy. Hope you're the man for the job and bring another great crop through. According to Wiki he is 50 but doesn't look anywhere near it on the LT pic.

Why shouldn't Mowbray be involved? I don't see the problem. In fact he will be working so closely with them, I think it's a must that he had a say. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sheron promoted too? 

Jobs for the boys.

What boys? Were they not at the club before Mowbray? 

So if Mowbray appointed an ex Boro player, would that have been jobs for the boys too? Cos a few wanted George Boetang

Seems he can't really win with some fans these days 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why shouldn't Mowbray be involved? I don't see the problem. In fact he will be working so closely with them, I think it's a must that he had a say. 

The appointment of academy staff should be independent of the manager, in my opinion. 

We are too dependent on Mowbray, in my opinion. 

He is first team manager (or is it head coach?) so his remit should be limited to that area. It's a tough and demanding enough job without the need to add extra responsibilities such as overseeing a Category A academy. 

The club seem determined to follow what is, in my opinion, an outdated management structure where the old school manager is responsible for every facet of the operation from media duties, fans, first team right through to overseeing scouting and recruitment and the academy. I don't think Mowbray can do all that. Infact I don't think many managers in the world could do it all. People may say Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger did it but they didn't. Their influence was through the club but they had extremely well qualified people running the individual departments.

Only time will tell if it can work here but for me it is putting all our eggs into one basket. Either because our nutty owners only want to work this way or because we're doing everything on the cheap and have scaled back so much on the operation that we need the manager to run it all on his own because there isn't the structure or staff otherwise to do it. 

As I've said many times before - we need a head coach who is solely responsible for managing the first team. Then, when that head coach resigns or is sacked (which happens every couple of years in the vast majority of cases) then the disruption to the club is minimal and there can be a smooth transition with a new head coach.

When Mowbray eventually walks away or is sacked (likely to happen in the relatively near future given his bosses' background, the nature of the Championship and his age) then the impact around the club is going to be similar to that of an earthquake with all the coaching staff and scouting staff and executive staff singing from his hymn sheet and in place because of him and his ideas. We will then need a new manager to come in and take on the mammoth job of handling Venkys whilst also dealing with all these other things and the not insignificant task of getting good results.

Just now, bluebruce said:

The first team should have a huge say in who manages the development squad. If he doesn’t that’s a recipe for disaster. Now whether Mowbray is the right man for either we will find out in the fullness of time.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or the best candidate 

Depends on your outlook I suppose. 

Why do you treat this with suspicion? Did you treat Johnsons promotion the same? 

What fantastic fortune and/or great planning. Imagine having the perfect manager with the best CV right under our noses! We needn’t have bothered scouring the country advertising. On our own website.

Yes, I’m hugely now suspicious of Johnson being promoted. He looks to have been promoted out of a role rather than into one while we have downgraded. We had a very successful outfit there and now that looks to be coming to an end. If I were an U23 player coming through right now I’d be, privately, very disappointed.

Just now, Stuart said:

The first team should have a huge say in who manages the development squad. If he doesn’t that’s a recipe for disaster. Now whether Mowbray is the right man for either we will find out in the fullness of time.

What fantastic fortune and/or great planning. Imagine having the perfect manager with the best CV right under our noses! We needn’t have bothered scouring the country advertising. On our own website.

Yes, I’m hugely now suspicious of Johnson being promoted. He looks to have been promoted out of a role rather than into one while we have downgraded. We had a very successful outfit there and now that looks to be coming to an end. If I were an U23 player coming through right now I’d be, privately, very disappointed.

Most of them u23 players came through the academy with Billy Barr in charge. Why on earth would they be very disappointed to be reunited with a coach they know so well? Who did you expect to come and take over, a huge name? 

Johnson did extremely well with the u23s and got a role with the first team. Barr did the same with the u18s and has now been promoted in line. I’m all for it, guys that know the club are seeing themselves rise up and other aspiring coaches will take note that not only have we got an inspiring academy we also appreciate and reward the hard work done by the coaches.  

Being suspicious of Johnson being promoted is just pathetic and desperate. In your absolute undeniable quest to criticise the club and it’s staff you’re making yourself look like a bit of a conspiracy nut. Johnson won’t want to work with u23s forever and he’s obviously more than happy to have taken the PROMOTION. 

Well done Johnson, Barr and Sheron for their great work with our kids and hopefully the time is starting to come for them to break through and shine  

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 6

Saw the 2nd half. We played well, looked good. Both fullbacks were impressive. Cracker of a goal by Grayson, hope he can find a way to utilise that left foot at senior level. Great closing down, centre mids (Whyte and?) looked dynamic and composed. Goalie (Fisher?) made a great reflex save at the end.