BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Would rather see chapman. We’ve got a ton of strikers and I’ve seen enough of Samuel to believe he won’t make an impact at championship level.

He did look a man against boys to be fair. Quick and strong. Would that translate into the Championship? Not sure.

Just now, Stuart said:

He did look a man against boys to be fair. Quick and strong. Would that translate into the Championship? Not sure.

Scoring at level doesn’t always translate, Nuttall for example is struggling to translate at league 1. I think Gallagher has pace, power and an Ariel threat and is a better option. I appreciate that Samuel has some good attributes and will probably end up having a decent career at league 1 level but he lacks a football brain imo. 

• Like 1

Apart from the first ten minutes, we completely outplayed and outmuscled a rather lightweight Spurs side. I agree Samuel was impressive, but in my opinion Brad Lyons was the outstanding player-he ran the second half , playing some incisive passes. Davenport was steady if unspectacular, and keeps a cool head in the DM position. Defence was largely untroubled, though when called upon, Hilton made a couple of decent saves. A thoroughly enjoyable performance.

• Like 1

I’m one of those who thinks Samuel does have a part to play in the first team. He wasn’t that great in the lge 1 season but he did show flashes of being a good player, plus he has all the right attributes to be a good striker. No one has really nailed down that central striking spot yet so I think he will get a chance to shine. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets added to the bench for a game soon.

• Like 2

Just now, rovers11 said:

I’m one of those who thinks Samuel does have a part to play in the first team. He wasn’t that great in the lge 1 season but he did show flashes of being a good player, plus he has all the right attributes to be a good striker. No one has really nailed down that central striking spot yet so I think he will get a chance to shine. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets added to the bench for a game soon.

Yes, I think he is a striker suited to playing in the centre but he was played out wide for a while in Division One and consequently lost confidence in front of goal. It's good news that he is on the way back.

30 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Scoring at level doesn’t always translate, Nuttall for example is struggling to translate at league 1. I think Gallagher has pace, power and an Ariel threat and is a better option. I appreciate that Samuel has some good attributes and will probably end up having a decent career at league 1 level but he lacks a football brain imo. 

In spite of tonight I don't think he's a finisher at top level but I'm prepared to be proved wrong. 

• Like 3

Very enjoyable game at Leyland tonight and a welcome return to form after last week at Goodison.  Tonight was a real team performance with no weak links.  Everyone played their part and the football was good to watch.  Samuel was impressive and used his pace well - his second goal was extremely well taken and showed a wonderful touch to control the ball and take it forward in one movement.  Lyons and Davenport controlled midfield for long spells and young Mols worked his socks off on the right.  Tottenham looked decent at the start of the second half but faded after Samuel got the second goal.  

• Like 4

I actually think Dom Samuel could do a job in The Championship/ Granted his efforts in L1 were sometime way off the mark but its a league full of clodders and plodders. Being alongside and against better footballs sometimes brings out the best in you and allows you to show exactly what you can do!

• Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

I actually think Dom Samuel could do a job in The Championship/ Granted his efforts in L1 were sometime way off the mark but its a league full of clodders and plodders. Being alongside and against better footballs sometimes brings out the best in you and allows you to show exactly what you can do!

I think that's a knee jerk reaction to a few goals in U23's football to be honest.

From what I have seen, he's nowhere near good enough for this level.

I do think Mowbray will give him a chance to prove himself though at some stage.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Samuel is good enough at this level, but to be honest with his form it's another reason why BB is going further down the pecking order.

When Brereton is back, he needs to get a run in the under 23s and be finding this kind of form.

Just now, Hasta said:

I'm not sure if Samuel is good enough at this level, but to be honest with his form it's another reason why BB is going further down the pecking order.

When Brereton is back, he needs to get a run in the under 23s and be finding this kind of form.

Alternatively it might be best in the long run for Brereton to go on loan to a Division One club for the second half of the season and get a run of games where he could start scoring goals and re-discover his confidence - unfortunately I suspect that the reaction of the owners to my suggestion would be strongly negative 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Whether he’d do the business or not I’m a believer that if people are excelling in the job at hand they deserve a crack.

Hes playing in the under 23s and scoring goals so will be interested to see how he steps up when back fully fit 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Tom said:

Whether he’d do the business or not I’m a believer that if people are excelling in the job at hand they deserve a crack.

Hes playing in the under 23s and scoring goals so will be interested to see how he steps up when back fully fit 

Excuse me?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Samuel could, in theory flourish playing in a front 2 with Gallagher, running on from his flick on's.  If he keeps banging them in he at least deserves a run out.

I agree that playing well in what amounts to be our reserve team ought to be rewarded. Having said my reservations regarding Samuel is that he seems to need lots of chances before he puts one away. Last night excepted. He reminds me a bit of Jason Roberts in that if you give him a chance where he has to react instantly he does ok, give him time to think and he usually fluffs it.

Chanka Zimba and Flavien Boyomo, both of whom I mentioned on this thread a while back have both been making waves recently. Boyomo featured on the bench for the 23's against Spurs and Zimba scored a brace for the 18's to see us beat Man City 2-1. Both French lads who are mightily impressive, especially physically.

5 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Chanka Zimba and Flavien Boyomo, both of whom I mentioned on this thread a while back have both been making waves recently. Boyomo featured on the bench for the 23's against Spurs and Zimba scored a brace for the 18's to see us beat Man City 2-1. Both French lads who are mightily impressive, especially physically.

Fruits of our scouting network? Or plucked from other PL clubs?