BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

8 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Chanka Zimba and Flavien Boyomo, both of whom I mentioned on this thread a while back have both been making waves recently. Boyomo featured on the bench for the 23's against Spurs and Zimba scored a brace for the 18's to see us beat Man City 2-1. Both French lads who are mightily impressive, especially physically.

The trouble with physically impressive youth players is that they are (usually) no longer physically impressive when they enter the first team setup. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RV Blue said:

The trouble with physically impressive youth players is that they are (usually) no longer physically impressive when they enter the first team setup. 

I think that their physicality at a young age gives them better hope of cutting it when they eventually play mens football. Even they are no longer quite as physically impressive against kids their age. One criticism of Buckley has been that he is very lightweight and doesn't yet have the physicality.

Edited by JacknOry

14 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I think that their physicality at a young age gives them better hope of cutting it when they eventually play mens football. Even they are no longer quite as physically impressive against kids their age. One criticism of Buckley has been that he is very lightweight and doesn't yet have the physicality.

We had a similar player many years ago called David Helliwell. He was a very skilful midfield player who I remember standing in for Bryan Douglas in one game and really looking the part. He could pick a pass and he could beat a man but he was about 5' 8" tall and about 9 stones wet through. Another thing was he wasn't particularly aggressive. Stuart Metcalfe,  who came through at about the same time wasn't any bigger than David but he had the ability to fight fire with fire if his opponent got a bit naughty. Helliwell never really fulfilled his promise because he never filled out physically as he got older and he just drifted down the leagues.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rankin Costello with two goals today against Palace u23s. Chapman with the other. 

Surely this lad should be knocking on the door for a first team appearance. Especially given the current injury problems. 

Chapman has also been in the goals recently. Cant be any worse than some of the currently 1st team. 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/october/report-crystal-palace-pl-cup-a/

Edited by benhben
  • Like 1

Here's his 2n

35 minutes ago, benhben said:

Rankin Costello with two goals today against Palace u23s. Chapman with the other. 

Surely this lad should be knocking on the door for a first team appearance. Especially given the current injury problems. 

Chapman has also been in the goals recently. Cant be any worse than some of the currently 1st team. 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/october/report-crystal-palace-pl-cup-a/

Here's his 2nd good finish on his left foot

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

Having said Stanley were better to watch than Rovers this weekend, these Academy lads are certainly showing the way. Rankin-Costelloe and Chapman not at Southampton so on the bench v Brum?

I thought that when the commentator said they were missing tonight.

Just now, philipl said:

Having said Stanley were better to watch than Rovers this weekend, these Academy lads are certainly showing the way. Rankin-Costelloe and Chapman not at Southampton so on the bench v Brum?

Buckley too. I'm curious why they're all out as well. LT not clear.

11 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Give me Lewis Thompson at left back instead of Bennett any day. 

At Southampton a lot of things didn't go right for Thompson initially but he persevered and really began to show he is a prospect.

Very comfortable win for a very young team last night. Thought Jack Vale looked good.

Mols (twice), Vale and the tall Asian lad who came on as a sub all guilty of terrible misses in the second half or otherwise it would have been a rout in the scoreline as well as on the pitch. Vale missed a bad one at the end of the first half as well but have to say Butterworth (subbed at half time after scoring two) and Vale took their chances really well.  

22 minutes ago, philipl said:

At Southampton a lot of things didn't go right for Thompson initially but he persevered and really began to show he is a prospect.

Very comfortable win for a very young team last night. Thought Jack Vale looked good.

Mols (twice), Vale and the tall Asian lad who came on as a sub all guilty of terrible misses in the second half or otherwise it would have been a rout in the scoreline as well as on the pitch. Vale missed a bad one at the end of the first half as well but have to say Butterworth (subbed at half time after scoring two) and Vale took their chances really well.  

Yeah I was very impressed with Vale, looks a real prospect. I fear with TM as boss Mols won't break into the first team.

The future looks bright with our youngsters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Jalil Saadi - French /Morrocan  and only 17.  Looked him up when he came on , thought it might have been a Blackburn lad from the Asian community coming through

https://www.manchesterinternationalfootballacademy.com/news/jalil-makes-the-national-squad/

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1