BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

• Moderation Lead
Just now, benhben said:

Chapman has posted a bit of a cryptic instagram post today with a caption of just a thinking bubble.

Get the impression hes sick of watching our 1st team being dog and still being no where near it. 

He's probably thinking 'how does Adam Armstrong start every week and yet I don't even make the match day squad?'

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

On 22/10/2019 at 08:57, philipl said:

At Southampton a lot of things didn't go right for Thompson initially but he persevered and really began to show he is a prospect.

Very comfortable win for a very young team last night. Thought Jack Vale looked good.

Mols (twice), Vale and the tall Asian lad who came on as a sub all guilty of terrible misses in the second half or otherwise it would have been a rout in the scoreline as well as on the pitch. Vale missed a bad one at the end of the first half as well but have to say Butterworth (subbed at half time after scoring two) and Vale took their chances really well.  

Mols and Vale for me have a big issue with physicality. Whilst Vale got a goal and two assists, this season in general he has struggled. He is continuously bullied around by defenders, but luckily at just 18 has time to improve.

Saadi, the tall lad referred to, has only this season made the full step up from the Under 18's - been much talk about him last few years at that level but has never impressed me at Leyland for the 23's so far.

Butterworth the star of that team, and his recent injury the main reason the team hadn't been as on form as they could've been in recent weeks. DB could be a major star for us.

On 23/10/2019 at 08:42, K-Hod said:

He's probably thinking 'how does Adam Armstrong start every week and yet I don't even make the match day squad?'

Because Chapman is no better than Adam Armstrong. Looks lost most weeks under Billy Barr at 23's level, and generally lacks the work ethic for me.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Because Chapman is no better than Adam Armstrong. Looks lost most weeks under Billy Barr at 23's level, and generally lacks the work ethic for me.

I keep hearing that and as I have said, I dont attend under 23 games so forgive my ignorance, but he seems to be scoring and/or assisting almost every week, and he was nominated for player of the month last month, see below, so how can he be "looking lost?" We would take him looking lost and scoring or assisting every week for the first team!

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/september/harry-nominated-for-monthly-award/

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I keep hearing that and as I have said, I dont attend under 23 games so forgive my ignorance, but he seems to be scoring and/or assisting almost every week, and he was nominated for player of the month last month, see below, so how can he be "looking lost?" We would take him looking lost and scoring or assisting every week for the first team!

Well maybe you should have attend them then. 

Joe isnt the only one, but other people on here. Ive attend a couple of games and cant attend with their views. 

One assist in one game doesnt mean he had a good game and played well. You should judge over a season

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Joe isnt the only one, but other people on here. Ive attend a couple of games and cant attend with their views. 

One assist in one game doesnt mean he had a good game and played well. You should judge over a season

I am asking someone who attends more than a couple of games a genuine question. Chapman from an outsider is regularly scoring and assisting, which is what attacking players ultimately get judged on, and getting nominated for an award only last month. Most of our attacking players in the first team do not score or assist goals anything other than incredibly infrequently. Thats why I can't get my head around the implications that his performance level is unacceptable, and am asking a regular attendee from what I can gather and one who is particularly criticial of Chapman to shed more light on the situation, speaking from a more educated position than myself.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I am asking someone who attends more than a couple of games a genuine question. Chapman from an outsider is regularly scoring and assisting, which is what attacking players ultimately get judged on, and getting nominated for an award only last month. Most of our attacking players in the first team do not score or assist goals anything other than incredibly infrequently. Thats why I can't get my head around the implications that his performance level is unacceptable, and am asking a regular attendee from what I can gather and one who is particularly criticial of Chapman to shed more light on the situation, speaking from a more educated position than myself.

Well they have told the messageboard time after time the problems with Chapman. 

You judge players on the overall performance not just on 2 stats. We can all look good and interest for 20 seconds..

Why dont you go sometime? 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Harry Chapman does not need a season in the reserves. If he isn’t there to get fit for the first team then something is seriously amiss and he should be sold in January. But we don’t sell players, they are either paid off or run their contracts down.

Another Mowbray failure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Harry Chapman does not need a season in the reserves. If he isn’t there to get fit for the first team then something is seriously amiss and he should be sold in January. But we don’t sell players, they are either paid off or run their contracts down.

Another Mowbray failure.

I agree he doesnt need a season in the under 23's. Like to see him challenge Armstrong/Rankin Costello for right wing slot

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Youve been insistent that he shouldnt be in the squad?! And what about Holtby when hes back? (For me he should possibly play alongside Travis)

Key words like to challenge for Right wing slot. 

Centre mid possibly. Unsure to be honest.

Like to see Armstrong more up front anyway

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He lacks effort when losing. Drawing blank now on who it was against but early on in season his temper and aggression basically caused two red cards. Threw a massive hissy fit over nowt because he hadn’t touched the ball much.

Edited by JoeH

For me Rankin-Costello and Butterworth almost always have a better all round game than him. Much like Tom White is twice the player Jacob Davenport is in my opinion. 

Just now, JoeH said:

He lacks effort when losing. Drawing blank now on who it was against but early on in season his temper and aggression basically caused two red cards. Threw a massive hissy fit over nowt because he hadn’t touched the ball much.

So theres a bit of petulance in there when he isnt having the impact he wants, but surely the fact that he is regularly scoring and assisting proves that he is impacting games at that level.

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Think it was the wolves games

19 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Funny thing is when Chapman scored 2 and got an assist in one game (I think it was Leicester away) he was in the under 23’s the next week.

When Samuel scored 2 he was straight on the bench for the next first team game and I think came on. 

That in particular struck me as odd.

As a manager myself commercially I’ve had some great talented brainy clever types come in, unless you let them continually test themselves at work and allow them freshness and a crack at something new you lose there motivation to the point they can’t really be arssed anymore. Dare I say the same happens in football or in this case with Chapman

• Like 4

The 23's are so much better without first teamers disrupting. When Mols, Vale, Butterworth and White are allowed to play their own game the football on display is delicious. Southampton away was the prime example. Hoping that Samuel, Chapman and Davenport are kept away really as Billy Barr's side could push up that table if given the freedom.

52 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The 23's are so much better without first teamers disrupting. When Mols, Vale, Butterworth and White are allowed to play their own game the football on display is delicious. Southampton away was the prime example. Hoping that Samuel, Chapman and Davenport are kept away really as Billy Barr's side could push up that table if given the freedom.

Didnt you say recently that the under 23s lacked fire power when they dont have a senior attacker, which makes sense with the goals Chapman and Samuel contributed.

We have to remember the primary purpose of the Under 23s, to develop players for the first team. Chapman and Davenport are only young, it makes no sense to remove them from the under 23 picture if they arent making matchday 18s for the first team.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 3