BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

For 73 minutes we were never in the game - then Chapman was the last of the 'seniors' to leave the field and suddenly we looked a team again.  Hilton kept us in the game against a very impressive Middlesbrough side who ought to have been four or five ahead before we got back into the game.  I'm sure they will be travelling back tonight wondering how on earth they lost that game.

Credit the lads for a thrilling final 15 minutes when they turned the game on its head.

Biggest concern has to be the performances of Brereton and Chapman again.  Neither look anywhere near good enough for Championship football and Chapman seems to be made of 'glass' these days - he'd give Grella a run for his money in terms of dashing to the treatment room.  In fairness to Brereton it was the first game back after a long lay off but he simply doesn't move or look like an athlete let alone a footballer.  I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around but I agree with Stuart - in the short term he needs to go out on loan and try to rediscover whatever it was that Forest and Rovers saw in him. 

• Like 2

Lewis Thompson did quite well. He looks to get forward and get the early cross in. He is aggressive and a good talker.

Mols looked good first half and JRC very comfortable playing centrally later on. He put his header away well. 

Brereton played directly in front of where I stood in the first half. He is cocky with his dialogue;  not that I mind that. 

The whole team feels a bit transitional at the moment and I miss watching the likes of  Buckley. 

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 1

Just now, Erased Citizen said:

Aside from the ones we hear a bit about (JRC, Butterworth,Vale et al) How does the rest of the u23s squad line up?  Anyone doing well on the down low without attracting too much attention?

Issac Whitehall came on at right back looks a prospect and only 17, good size good feet and athletic, one to watch IMO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

0F744F5B-EFE3-4EBB-8B7E-29EFB33D4CFA.thumb.jpeg.8ea5ed1ff4ca32ef7f44a65c4443cb4d.jpeg
JRC clearly won’t be involved against Leeds. Must mean the full back slots are sorted: Bennett and Williams it is then.

He's in the match day squad but will be there in case of illness or injury in the warm up etc, so sat in the stands basically

Edited by SkipDonoghue

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

How's Davenport, Hilton and Rankin Costello played? 

Davenport does a lot of work which goes unnoticed he is your typical holding midfield player sits in the middle of the park, very rarely gets in front of the ball and keeps it simple, if you're not noticing him sometimes isn't a bad thing if you catch my drift

Hilton is a decent keeper made some outstanding saves and kept Rovers in the game without him it could have been game over after 60mins

JRC once again showed his versatility by playing in 3 positions tonight, starting at right back then wide right and then wide left, he showed his quality at times late on and even from right back provided Rovers 1st real strike at goal tipped round the post by their keeper, he works hard and trys to lead by example even when not at his best

Another player who I think deserves a mention is Sam Barnes his loan spell at Marine looks to have done him the world of good, he's comfortable on the ball and is quite quick, one to watch along with Issac Whitehall as the season progresses 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Is he a centre back from Man City? 

Hilton looks very good. 

Do you think he could be ready for 1st team next season? 

Maybe, can’t kick for shit but neither can any goalkeeper we’ve had at Blackburn for a decade.

14 hours ago, Erased Citizen said:

Aside from the ones we hear a bit about (JRC, Butterworth,Vale et al) How does the rest of the u23s squad line up?  Anyone doing well on the down low without attracting too much attention?

Jack Evans injured for a while now but one of my favourites. Lewis Thomson at left back often is the best player in our side, got his Northern Ireland call up to the youth team recently too and scored.

Hilton a great shot stopper, best I’ve seen in the Academy since Raya was playing at youth level. 

I’m a huge Tom White fan, been struggling for game time behind Davenport as of late but I think he’s twice the player Jacob is. Really good solid midfielder. 

Just now, JoeH said:

Jack Evans injured for a while now but one of my favourites. Lewis Thomson at left back often is the best player in our side, got his Northern Ireland call up to the youth team recently too and scored.

Hilton a great shot stopper, best I’ve seen in the Academy since Raya was playing at youth level. 

I’m a huge Tom White fan, been struggling for game time behind Davenport as of late but I think he’s twice the player Jacob is. Really good solid midfielder. 

I think Thompson will be the next one knocking on the first team door. Would rather him than Bell at LB

1 minute ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I think Thompson will be the next one knocking on the first team door. Would rather him than Bell at LB

I'd rather put an actual bell on the pitch and just leave it there, than play Bell these days.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, philipl said:

Billy Mowbarr digging out the youngsters while making excuses for the seniors. Players like Brereton and Samuel should be giving these younger, greener lads a lesson not needing protection.

Shame on Barr. Those young lads showed what they were made of as soon as Tony’s recruits got out of the way. Three absolute flops out of the first team picture and now making the wrong kind of waves in the development team. “Crest of a crisis” could be right. There may well be an us-and-them culture in both squads very soon. You’re either in “the group” or you’re not. Cliques are a very bad thing for a football club. Management defending fully paid up members will rip it apart.

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

Billy Mowbarr digging out the youngsters while making excuses for the seniors. Players like Brereton and Samuel should be giving these younger, greener lads a lesson not needing protection.

Shame on Barr. Those young lads showed what they were made of as soon as Tony’s recruits got out of the way. Three absolute flops out of the first team picture and now making the wrong kind of waves in the development team. “Crest of a crisis” could be right. There may well be an us-and-them culture in both squads very soon. You’re either in “the group” or you’re not. Cliques are a very bad thing for a football club. Management defending fully paid up members will rip it apart.

Could see this before kick off. First team lads only kicking the ball around between themselves. A lack of communication during the game with the likes of Butterworth and Mols. The instant change in mentality from those two as soon as the first team trio left the pitch was astounding. Butterworth instantly became a presence, not just in footballing terms but also as a captain - something I feel he holds back when more experienced players are sharing the field with him.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Could see this before kick off. First team lads only kicking the ball around between themselves. A lack of communication during the game with the likes of Butterworth and Mols. The instant change in mentality from those two as soon as the first team trio left the pitch was astounding. Butterworth instantly became a presence, not just in footballing terms but also as a captain - something I feel he holds back when more experienced players are sharing the field with him.

To be fair, wont he need to continue to exert himself when senior players are around to make it in the first team, rather than holding back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, wont he need to continue to exert himself when senior players are around to make it in the first team, rather than holding back?

Absolutely, I'm not saying it's a great thing that DB is less assertive around senior players, just mainly pointing the fact that he only seemed to take some responsibility for the team and push everyone a little when they'd gone off. I think the solution is not only less senior player involvement at Under 23's level, but also some development of DB's character on this matter definitely.

So there's some big games coming up in the rest of November for Billy Barr's men:

Friday 15th November - Hertha Berlin (Ewood Park)
Friday 22nd November - Manchester City (Leyland FA County Ground)
Monday 25th November - SL Benfica (Leyland FA County Ground)
Friday 29th November - Burnley (Ewood Park)

Burnley game moved to 1pm on a workday, and also heard off a mate that it may only be open to 1875 club members too, so not going to be many in attendance for that one! Berlin game is Friday and I've seen no ticket information about it so far. 

As for Berlin the team, we can expect a tough game with this one. They've lost to Liverpool 3-1, but also beaten Swansea 4-1, both teams in our PL2 division. Benfica beat Berlin 2-1, so expecting the Benfica game at Leyland to be a tougher one than the Berlin game at Ewood.

Burnley showed in the Lancs Senior Cup Final last season that we're a class above them, so that one should be a breeze really, and the Manchester City game should also be a doddle, with their team sitting bottom of the PL2 Div 1 table on just 6 points. Rovers beat City comfortably at Ewood Park last season.

Good timing! Hertha Berlin tickets announced. £3 and £1 for adults and concessions, ST Holders, 1875 Club Members and Junior Rovers Members get in for free. Lovely stuff!

1592371451_ScreenShot2019-11-11at14_55_43.png.2260082b6d00005ace76df4f7af26ee6.png

On 11/11/2019 at 08:32, JoeH said:

Butterworth isn't bothered about 1st team players he knows technically the majority can't lace his boots, he also has an edge about him which is good to see

the difference in attitude came when we got the right players in the right areas after the so called 1st team players left the pitch, it also helps when you get a centre forward on the pitch who can hold a ball up (Vale) and doesn't need half a dozen touches to get it under control as seen with Butterworth goal after Vale showed great feet

One thing I will say about u23s football at the highest level is that if you don't have a decent touch/technical game you will get found out and can be made to look a mug this is why I enjoy watching u23s football as every team in Premier League 2 play the right way and every team has some highly talented youngsters for me this is why the 1st half was so poor as we didn't play the way we normally would to accommodate inferior technical players

there was no rhythm and we were very disjointed for me, as the 2 up front  couldn't trap a bag of cement, and just wanted it lumped long in the channels this has a knock on throughout the team and disrupts it and it definately effected Butterworth and Mols performances

Mols was shocking 1st half, didn't look interested due to this, but he was excellent 2nd half and led by example

• Like 4

New partnerships announced over the last week. Just now we've partnered with New York City based Eastern FC. A sharing of training facilities, a pre-season friendly tournament held in America, opportunities for young American players to get view by Rovers scouts. Nice little affiliation that. The academy set up growing outside of the UK is a good step IMO.