BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I saw him against Accrington in the Lancs Senior Cup and on the evidence of that he shouldn't have got near the first team. I also saw him in a League Cup match this season against Oldham (I think) and he didn't do anything to justify him playing in the league. I speak to people who watch the under 23's regularly and nearly all of them question his attitude and commitment (as Mowbray did).

I don't think he should be ahead of the likes if Butterworth or Rankin-Costello who have pretty much played consistently well.

I think quite a few are calling for him to play based on a few appearances in his first spell.

So what will happen is absolutely nothing. It is not so much who is given the chance. But that our tactics are changed and that someone is given the chance.

Just now, rigger said:

So what will happen is absolutely nothing. It is not so much who is given the chance. But that our tactics are changed and that someone is given the chance.

If someone gets a chance then it really has to be somebody deserving of it.

Whether anybody does get an opportunity is a different debate.

57 minutes ago, rigger said:

Give him a chance in the first team. If he doesn’t impress try someone else. But don’t persist with a system that isn’t working.

I'd say give Joe Rankin-Costello a chance, and if he doesn't impress try someone else. He's been better than him at 23's level and after years of waiting he's deserving of his chance.

23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'd say give Joe Rankin-Costello a chance, and if he doesn't impress try someone else. He's been better than him at 23's level and after years of waiting he's deserving of his chance.

Just as a matter of interest, what is JRC’s best position?

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

For me, right hand side wide midfielder, very similar to Armstrong's position, but on the other side. He's a natural final ball player. Our first team is full of flair players with not much end product, I'd say JRC is very dissimilar to that, he is much more simplistic in his ball work, but has a great final pass and finish

LT    LH
        JRC    BD    JR
                  AA

Is something I'd love to see

Just now, JoeH said:

For me, right hand side wide midfielder, very similar to Armstrong's position, but on the other side. He's a natural final ball player. Our first team is full of flair players with not much end product, I'd say JRC is very dissimilar to that, he is much more simplistic in his ball work, but has a great final pass and finish

LT    LH
        JRC    BD    JR
                  AA

Is something I'd love to see

So not a winger. My thought is that we need to change our system and play with an out and out winger

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Surely you have to earn the right to play. 

Not playing him due to his poor attitude and performances is one of the few things I agree with Mowbray about.

Unless you’re Adam Armstrong or Elliott Bennett.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rigger said:

He reminds me quite strongly of Jason Wilcox in terms of his physique, movement with the ball  and crossing ability, albeit on the right hand side

Edited by Colt Seavers

18 minutes ago, rigger said:

So not a winger. My thought is that we need to change our system and play with an out and out winger

Can quite easily play on the wing, can cross for sure. Don’t understand the point really? He’s no less a winger than Harry Chapman tbh.

Joe Rankin-Costello - Aged 20 - Contract Until Summer 2021 (signed new two year deal in April 2019)

Joined the club in 2014 from Manchester United, has more assists than any other Under 23's player, has played right-wing-back in a 5 back, right-back in a 4 back, central midfield, right-midfield and in the hole behind the striker this season alone. A quality player who always has the final ball, nothing too flashy, just some great decision making for his age. 

However, he made his debut over two years ago, has had a bad injury in between, but since been stripped of chances in the first team. A first team that doesn't have a true winger with a final ball inside of it. We're going to waste this lads talent, we really are.

With the right game time, he would easily be as good as, if not better than Lewis Travis. It's funny, Travis, who's great in our 1st team, was NEVER the stand out performer at 23's level, yet he's been given that chance and look where he is. Now imagine that same process but with a player like JRC who is often the best player on the pitch at 23's level.

Just like Connor Mahoney, we'll end up losing this lad if we're not careful, same goes for some others, but JRC sticks out because of how long he's had to wait since his debut.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who would you have him in the squad ahead of so? 

I heard Birmingham fans rated him when he was there, and some Bournemouth fans were disappointed he didn't get more of a chance. I'd personally play him over Armstrong, but I'm a round pegs in round holes kind of guy.

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I heard Birmingham fans rated him when he was there, and some Bournemouth fans were disappointed he didn't get more of a chance. I'd personally play him over Armstrong, but I'm a round pegs in round holes kind of guy.

It's a wonder that neither Birmingham or Bournemouth kept him so. He didn't even play a game for Bournemouth. So not sure where you are hearing these things 

I'm not Armstrongs biggest fan, but Mahony has done nothing to tell me he would be a better option. Allowing for the fact that I too would prefer a natural winger playing there. I bet Armstrong will get more goals and assists than him every season they are both fit. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel