BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he had a decent career to be fair. I think he was pretty fond of the sauce though....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/im-sober-two-years-now-and-i-want-to-play-again-former-ireland-international-keith-treacy-38418745.html

Really good article on him here.

I forget he played for us 20 times in 2008/09

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's a wonder that neither Birmingham or Bournemouth kept him so. He didn't even play a game for Bournemouth. So not sure where you are hearing these things 

I'm not Armstrongs biggest fan, but Mahony has done nothing to tell me he would be a better option. Allowing for the fact that I too would prefer a natural winger playing there. I bet Armstrong will get more goals and assists than him every season they are both fit. 

He played a couple of cup games for Bournemouth - and friendlies. 

I bet you Mahoney goes on to have a more successful career than Armstrong. 

We'll have to dig this post out in a few years :)

• Like 1

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Thanks. I didn't realise he was from Sheriff street. Rough, rough spot. 

Interesting line

"I probably was an alcoholic," he admits. "I came in at the tail end of that era at Blackburn, that drinking culture. If you lost a game you had a drink to forget about it, if you won you had a drink to celebrate. I had a problem with it. I played while drunk, I played while hungover.

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

Joe Rankin-Costello - Aged 20 - Contract Until Summer 2021 (signed new two year deal in April 2019)

Joined the club in 2014 from Manchester United, has more assists than any other Under 23's player, has played right-wing-back in a 5 back, right-back in a 4 back, central midfield, right-midfield and in the hole behind the striker this season alone. A quality player who always has the final ball, nothing too flashy, just some great decision making for his age. 

However, he made his debut over two years ago, has had a bad injury in between, but since been stripped of chances in the first team. A first team that doesn't have a true winger with a final ball inside of it. We're going to waste this lads talent, we really are.

With the right game time, he would easily be as good as, if not better than Lewis Travis. It's funny, Travis, who's great in our 1st team, was NEVER the stand out performer at 23's level, yet he's been given that chance and look where he is. Now imagine that same process but with a player like JRC who is often the best player on the pitch at 23's level.

Just like Connor Mahoney, we'll end up losing this lad if we're not careful, same goes for some others, but JRC sticks out because of how long he's had to wait since his debut.

Do you feel he should make the bench ahead of Buckley? I get the impression that TM only sees room for one youth project at a time that he hasn't spent 7 million on.

Especially in midfield, where he has stockpiled too many senior players to keep happy. And right back, where if anyone is dislodging Nyambe it'll be Captain Fantastic.

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Do you feel he should make the bench ahead of Buckley? I get the impression that TM only sees room for one youth project at a time that he hasn't spent 7 million on.

Especially in midfield, where he has stockpiled too many senior players to keep happy. And right back, where if anyone is dislodging Nyambe it'll be Captain Fantastic.

Despite having only seen brief glimpses of JRC I'd really like to see him given a spot on the bench and to come off it a couple of times before January.  It what little I've seen I was impressed with his crossing in particular, less so his defending and if we are going to sub Armstrong off I'd prefer him over Buckley or Samuel/Brereton on the right.  He does look like he has ability but at this stage unless he does get a couple of 20 minutes chances and impresses a lot the n he should probably be off on loan after we add another couple of years to his contract.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Rovers 3 Leicester 1 

Good win from u-23s considering they'd lost the last 3 and Leicester were looking to add to their run of 8 wins.

Really impressed by Fisher. Mols looking good. Chapman both good and bad- gave away totally needless penalty which Fisher saved.

If anything, the youngsters made Smallwood look like the baby in the side!  

• Like 1