BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Joe Grayson would absolutely have played regular first team football for either this club, or another, at some point within the next few years of his career. He's a very talented lad, and I worry that his injury, added onto his unusually average game against Oldham in the cup earlier in the season, may set him back completely.

Would echo the sentiments that we're a CB factory. When you look at pure Blackburn academy players, not people like Travis, Butterworth, JRC and look at the lads in the 23's that have been at the club since aged 9, ALL the best talent are defenders. 

I wonder if we have a very good defensive coach somewhere in the youth set up down the line at Rovers maybe?!

Edited by JoeH

Last night was like watching a re-run of the Birmingham Cup-tie - dominate possession but unable to score.  The highlight for me was the appearance of Luke Brennan as a sub in the second-half.  Reminded me of a young Duff the way he dribbled down that left wing.  Put in some good crosses as well.  What I particularly liked about him was the way the ball was always under his control when running with it.  I thought we were unlucky not to take at least a point but, in fairness, Brighton defended well - sometimes with ten men back in the box - although some of their play was rather theatrical when they were tackled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Last night was like watching a re-run of the Birmingham Cup-tie - dominate possession but unable to score.  The highlight for me was the appearance of Luke Brennan as a sub in the second-half.  Reminded me of a young Duff the way he dribbled down that left wing.  Put in some good crosses as well.  What I particularly liked about him was the way the ball was always under his control when running with it.  I thought we were unlucky not to take at least a point but, in fairness, Brighton defended well - sometimes with ten men back in the box - although some of their play was rather theatrical when they were tackled. 

On another tack it crossed my mind the other day that Premier League teams are turning the game into a non contact sport. The amount of players that just throw themselves down on the ground in tight situations is getting beyond a joke. What's less funny is how the refs fall for it 9 times of 10.

18 hours ago, JoeH said:

Joe Grayson would absolutely have played regular first team football for either this club, or another, at some point within the next few years of his career. He's a very talented lad, and I worry that his injury, added onto his unusually average game against Oldham in the cup earlier in the season, may set him back completely.

Would echo the sentiments that we're a CB factory. When you look at pure Blackburn academy players, not people like Travis, Butterworth, JRC and look at the lads in the 23's that have been at the club since aged 9, ALL the best talent are defenders. 

I wonder if we have a very good defensive coach somewhere in the youth set up down the line at Rovers maybe?!

I remember it being said some years ago that our academy focused a little too much on physical development rather than skill. This might explain why we churn out so many good defenders vs attackers. Then we hoover up the ones who escape through the cracks of the elite clubs' youth systems, who have been schooled heavily in technique, for our young attackers.

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is that a phrase these days, to "cash someone off"? Well, that's a new one on me. I'm certainly not in a position to do that to anyone ha ha.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I just heard Barr shouting for Smallwood to push further up the pitch during an attack (unless Wolves have a player called Richie).

He promptly did no such thing and stayed more or less exactly where he was.

Brennan on for Vale.

• Like 1